Who is ready?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who is ready?

Plan A has no lights, and no exhaust. Now I have no time to work on it.

On to Plan B. Which is all stock, and never been down the track. Going to have fun and meet you lunatics.
    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Got the new Finishline 4L80 installed two weeks ago and began experiencing problems where the engine became hard starting and worse, would quit and not restart. My son Lane had to tow me home one night, worked on the engine electrical and thought I had the problem solved. Saturday took a test drive on the freeway and 30 miles from home the engine just quit, this time it was $125 flat-bed ride home :-[. My neighbors can't understand why I work on my truck so much and after seeing it off-loaded from the wreaker I'll never have to worry about them asking me to look at their vehicles LOL.

Yesterday think I solved this elusive problem - With the help of my wife (she was my key-on, then cranking, then key-off person while I probed each coil pack connector with the multimeter) together we found that the black ground wire in-the-loom for bank #2 coil packs would lose its ground. I've attached a temporary ground and now all seems normal. Last night I drove 75 miles up and down the freeway plus some side streets with no problems. I still don't understand why the engine shuts off if I remove this temporary ground wire to bank #2, bank #1 has a good steady ground so why won't the engine run on one bank? Anyone know?

I leave on Monday for over 5,000 mile round-trip to LSx Fest and DragWeek and today I can say I still don't feel comfortable with the reliability of my combo - but I'm willing to expose myself to the risks of breaking down to be with all you motorheads LOL 8)

See you at LSx Fest and/or DragWeek

Hardy Handshakes - Swede
      DragWeek 07, 08, 09, 11, 12 & 2013 with 2nd place in DD

Comment

Best of luck Swede. See ya in two weeks.
        "Friends don't let friends run the daily driver class,"

Comment

Originally posted by Swede4
          Got the new Finishline 4L80 installed two weeks ago and began experiencing problems where the engine became hard starting and worse, would quit and not restart.
          Swede,
          I've been told the LS coils ground thru the ECU (not the coil brackets or chassis). Any chance your truck's ECU, its tune file or the wiring is unhappy with the 4L60E to 4L80E swap?
          D R A G - W E E K - '05 - '06 - '07 - '08 - '09 - '10 - '11 - '12 - '13 - '14 - '15 - '16 - '17

Comment

I've talked to many and studied the 4L60 to 4L80 threads and it seems that the ECU is Ok with the 80 if you address the issues with the main plug and the additional VSS to ECU wires and get the proper 80 file swap; I purchased Speartech's wiring solutions and sent my vehicles file to HPTuners for their swap so I think I did all that's needed by the ECU.

You're correct, the LS coils are grounded thru the ECU and my bank #2 seems to have a flaky ground - I'm hesitant to unwind the entire loom back to the ECU to find out what's wrong with this ground (all looks good at the plug end), that's why I'm wondering if I would be introducing a new problem by simply providing a "local-ground" in lieu of the ECU sourced ground ? anyone know the answer? :-\

I'm working on all the little engine and chassis details today and tomorrow trying to put together as clean and standard a setup as possible - I have a chassis dyno session scheduled at Magnusons for this Friday at 7:00am with Kenny Duttweiler and staff, don't want anything I may have done to cause problems or grief for them.

I'm rarely this tentative - much more positive and confident - however; having been towed home twice in a week saps the confidence out of most Shade-Trees like me LOL :P

See you in Ohio. Hardy Handshakes - Swede

Comment

Originally posted by Swede4
              I've talked to many and studied the 4L60 to 4L80 threads and it seems that the ECU is Ok with the 80 if you address the issues with the main plug and the additional VSS to ECU wires and get the proper 80 file swap; I purchased Speartech's wiring solutions and sent my vehicles file to HPTuners for their swap so I think I did all that's needed by the ECU.

You're correct, the LS coils are grounded thru the ECU and my bank #2 seems to have a flaky ground - I'm hesitant to unwind the entire loom back to the ECU to find out what's wrong with this ground (all looks good at the plug end), that's why I'm wondering if I would be introducing a new problem by simply providing a "local-ground" in lieu of the ECU sourced ground ? anyone know the answer? :-\

I'm working on all the little engine and chassis details today and tomorrow trying to put together as clean and standard a setup as possible - I have a chassis dyno session scheduled at Magnusons for this Friday at 7:00am with Kenny Duttweiler and staff, don't want anything I may have done to cause problems or grief for them.

I'm rarely this tentative - much more positive and confident - however; having been towed home twice in a week saps the confidence out of most Shade-Trees like me LOL :P

See you in Ohio. Hardy Handshakes - Swede
              Swede where was the ground wire at, back of driver head?

Comment

JoeyG - the coil pack grounds (the black wire in each bank) are part of the looms coming from the ECM, don't ask me why GM goes all the back to the ECM for their coil grounds but I bet they have a good reason.

I only found this ground problem by testing each terminal in the Gray coil pack connector that mounts on the valve cover. Because my (quit/won't start) problem was intermittent, I feel real lucky that it was in fail mode when I was probing it for test. If it was making ground when I was testing it I would still be in the "truck-quit-and-won't-start" mode and would be towingto professional help LOL

See you in Ohio

Hardy Handshakes - Swede

Comment

Did some driveability tuning today in the Nova and have to say that new Dominator EFI system from Holley is AWESOME! The self learn mode is light years ahead of anything else I've used and is super easy to use. The ecu got rid of all the wierd cruising and mid range transition fuel issues that weren't addressed with the normal dyno tuning.
                  Looking forward to heading north next week.

Comment

Interior is finally all back in. trailer wiring is hooked up. a buddy is coming to clean and buff the car out tuesday. tommorow we will be working on the trailer and finishing getting stuff together. friday night we are gonna make a run with the loaded trailer 100 mile round trip to the local strip and make a couple test passes with the new vac pump. then saturday we will load up and head out sunday early am.....getting close now fellas

Comment

I like it, neat package! Certifies to 8.50 right?

Comment

certs to 8.50 and still has cushy seats ,visors,back seat and a nice cd player with ipod input......lol. plus the car still has tailpipes so you can actually hear the radio. if somebody needs a nap they can ride with me....lol

Comment

Looks like the cleanest GP interior still in existance!

Comment

Originally posted by slimbo5
                            certs to 8.50 and still has cushy seats ,visors,back seat and a nice cd player with ipod input......lol. plus the car still has tailpipes so you can actually hear the radio. if somebody needs a nap they can ride with me....lol
                            Yes, that is not JUST an 86 GP... That is a VERY clean ride you have there! See ya in a week!

Well, lifters and springs were getting changed yesterday, only problem was, once I went to install the springs I found out they were .030 bigger OD, kinda strange considering they are the same part number as the old ones.. ???

So I got the lifters changed, intake back on, and up and running again. I will call Comp tomorrow and figure out what happened, maybe I will go with the over 2 1/2 yr. old springs, and just carry the new springs with me, once I get things straightened out.. :o Then, maybe not. :P

Going to pick up the little trailer today that I am gonna drag behind the car this year. I really don't want to have to unload shit from the car every day, and load it all back up, the trailer will be nice, and I can bring a nice big cooler with me for food, snacks, so I am not stuck eating the shit at gas stations, and of course, BEER for the nights! ;D

Here is my failed attempt at changing out the springs. :-[

Comment

Getting closer.............

Comment

mmm pretty

Comment

Working...
                                X