Go solo or have a co-pilot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go solo or have a co-pilot?

You like to go solo or have a partner in crime?

Looks like my wife will not be able to co-pilot with me the whole trip like I hoped. So, I will probably pick her up when we stop in Amarillo and she will ride the Ama-Tulsa-Topeka half with me. Works good for her since she works Mon-Tue and half of Wednesday.

It's not like she *really* knows anything about cars anyway, so from a gearhead perspective I guess it will be a solo trip the whole way. haha
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Re: Go solo or have a co-pilot?

I always prefer a co-pilot. But, if one isn't available, I go by myself.

Sometimes all you need is someone to hold a flashlight.

Comment

Ummmmm yeah this year will be solo

Comment

I take more risks and there's a better chance I'll say and/or do stupid stuff with a co-pilot .... so by all means, I need a co-pilot.
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I started last year solo, Jeff Lutz Jr, ended up riding with me most of the route though.

I am planning on a co pilot this year.
          Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

definitely I recommend a co-pilot. especially if you are driving a car that's heavily modified.
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I vote co-pilot...

Originally posted by BigBlockRanger
              ...I will probably pick her up when we stop in Amarillo and she will ride the Ama-Tulsa-Topeka half with me....
              You'll have two Hot Rod devised road trips completed by then. I believe you'll welcome a navigator for the LONG road trip to Tulsa (imagine two lane the whole way...).
              D R A G - W E E K - '05 - '06 - '07 - '08 - '09 - '10 - '11 - '12 - '13 - '14 - '15 - '16 - '17

Comment

I definitely welcomed the copilot on the drive out from California as we switched back and forth. Also, as ProCharged509 states, it's good to have someone to help navigate and for company on long windy roads lined with nothing but corn and/or other vegetation. Not sure what's in OK.

I talked my Uncle into coming this year which should make it even more fun but I'll be driving out there solo and meeting him since he lives in Kentucky. If I'm lucky, maybe I can caravan with The Swede! ;D
                Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
                  I take more risks and there's a better chance I'll say and/or do stupid stuff with a co-pilot .... so by all means, I need a co-pilot.
                  Your son knows what happens on DW stays at DW doesnt he? ;D ;D

Comment

I'm only going because I have a pri-pilot to get me off my a$$, take 3 weeks of vacation and hit the road. Last year Rett was a one-man-wolf-pack. This year he's willing to put up with me for the trip (6400 miles RT !!!!!!). Dang I hope we can stand each other. One other added bonus, split gas, rooms, etc. = 1/2 the cost of most expenses.

I figure if I don't do it now I'll never do it. Even with a full time PLUS job I found the time, during our busy season (power generation June to Oct) to take the 3 weeks off.
                    [size=+1]Chuck
                    2011 HRPT Long Hauler
                    2012 HRPT Long Hauler
                    2013 HRPT Long Hauler "to be"

Comment

I will definetly have my wife as co-pilot, I'll drive and she'll do the drinking. Ha

Comment

With the maps/directions handed out, a co-pilot is a plus- takes a lot to navigate at night by flashlight and look for signs the size of a pea. If you do go solo make sure you hook up with a few other cars, then when they get lost you have someone else to blame!!
                        DocFox

Comment

Originally posted by ksj1
                          Originally posted by Bamfster
                          Your son knows what happens on DW stays at DW doesnt he? ;D ;D
                          He will if he wants to graduate high school ....
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

A co-pilot is a necessity especially when you don't have cup holders. That was my nick name for my brother in law. He didn't like it for some reason.

Very important for navigation as my GPS nags like my wife does when she sees the VISA bill for all the new Drag Week related parts.

Very helpful if you use the "pack it all in the car" method although you give up some front seat spare parts space.

Co-pilot can also be video camera person so you can see what it looked like when the trans exited the car at half track. This is good because I tend to capture my shoes or the sky a lot when behind the camera.

Copilots may also have credit cards which can be valuable when yours are maxed.

Co-pilots can man the shotgun when going through sketchy neighborhoods.

Copilots often need to drink and eat for some reason which can negatively impact the DW budget.
                            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I have went solo both times I have went, I think a co pilot would help with navigation. Also would be fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X