Quickest 6 bangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quickest 6 bangers

The quickest 6 cylinder and quickest 4 cylinder seems to be an award that they don't note in any event coverage except the magazine itself. Well I think I tossed my back issues and I sure can't find it anywhere on here or hotrod. I remember reading about a turbo Buick that won it at least one year but don't remember what year it was. Anyone have that info for last year or two (or three ;D).

Wife gave me permission to run drag week this year. Pretty new to it all. Planning to go just for the good time and try to stay out of everyone's way. I have no chance in small block power adder, not going to be consistent enough to make it in the DD bracket race. Hell, even getting in the bracket race is questionable. That leaves me with the very slim possibility of having the quickest 6 banger. So I'm diggin' around trying to find the past winners and the average ET's.

Thanks
    Bob Koch
    87 Grand National
    HRPT long hauler 08

Re: Quickest 6 bangers

Hope you can make it. I had the quickest 6 last year in my 90 cougar xr7, best was a 15.15. :-\ :D. Hopefully bringing my mustang this year so I will not be in the running for quickest 6. Like I would have a chance against a GN. : You should do well in DD.
    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

A guy is best off to go with the idea of personal bests, and just having fun.

If you go to win something you more than likely will be disappointed.

In 08 who would guess with a .50 lead in SB/NA I would on day 3 stand mine on the rear bumper and put me out, the times don't reflect it.

In 10 I broke a injector and was 30 min late to the second track with a .50 second or more lead just cruising times don't reflect it.

No racing things that put me out, just freak things that can happen to anyone. Not to take anything from Crow just pointing out anyone and any thing can happen go have fun and what happens happens. I am not disappointed with any of my years other than I missed out on more fun. I know its easier once you have the Jacket for a Class to say but its my opinion.
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Oh I'm going for the sole purpose of having fun. But I got 2 avenues to pursue: Leave it alone all week and try for some consistency for the bracket race, which is a bad idea simply because I am an "FNG" who is not going to get consistent launches and/or good reaction times. OR I can tinker with it all week and hope for personal bests and if the stars align properly I might get quickest 6 banger. I'll be thrilled if it makes it back to topeka under its own power after pushing it all week. It can scatter once we get that far I'm only an hour away from home at heartland park. This engine's been together for 15 years and three owners it's time for a freshening anyway. LOL.

Comment

As Jeff says, go and do what'll make you happy. My first year the engine killed a roller lifter and we couldn't get lifters or even a halfway close cam anywhere and a complete rebuild made no sense as we were done from any form of competition or even keeping up with the parade. So we rode the pine as it were and enjoyed the drive as spectators and bar flies.

In "07 we were .5 off the pace, but we kept at it and got a personal best and a R/U. You never know.
          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I think the quickest 6 banger in the history of the event was the blue Nova wagon with the big single turbo on a GMC Vortec(?) inline six. Longest spool up in history, went high 8's, got tossed for cheating when he loaded up into a trailer during one of the drives.
            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

And....Huber's 4 cyl Mustang runs low to mid nines.

Comment

Yeah that mustang is insane. Didn't he win SB/PA? There's no shortage of turbo buicks that COULD be competitive there, but none seem to ever do drag week. Not gonna pretend to be that guy, just hope to get some passes in everywhere and keep it together. Ordered a 2011 nhra rulebook today, cheap enough to just buy one rather than ask all the questions. I got a good idea of what I need and don't need but need to read it in black and white and not take the internet's word for it. :D Seems that drag week guys are just as nice or nicer than the power tour crowd, so hope to make a bunch of friends as well.

So first we gotta do the power tour in my wife's new ride and then concentrate on this. Not a cheap summer, but what price can you put on this?

Comment

I know I'll piss some people off but dont care.PowerTour is a vacation.DragWeek is the TEST!! Wish I could afford to both.You suck.LOL ;D

Comment

Racing Lawn Chairs is a Test right? They are both what they are, I know a lot of the Tour guys I have met are cool, just are mixed in with a lot of Car Snobs
                    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I'll admit the year I did the long haul PT from Detroit to San Bernardino, 2500 miles, it felt like a bit of a test. It would be great to see some Turbo Buicks on Drag Week. I've always like those cars.

Comment

I'll admit the power tour wasn't as nerve racking as this is shaping up to be. I did long haul the GN in 08, redid the whole cooling system before, new tires, etc. Didn't anticipate much trouble because I knew I wouldn't be abusing the car. Drag week, how the hell can you NOT abuse the car? Half throttle the 1/4 mile? Just as well stay home, LOL. This year's power tour is a lot farther away from home, but this year we are in a new challenger (her toy) so I don't even need to carry anything with us. I met a lot of nice people on the tour, most show car guys are nice overall, some are full of $hit but even they are usually good people. A few snobs will ruin it for the rest of the crowd, no doubt.

I thought about the PT for years, didn't ever convince myself to do it until 08 when it came close by. Then I said, screw it i'm going, hell or high water, who's going with me? Convinced mom and dad to go in one of their old mopars, and the wife said ok. We missed 09 because my 2nd child was due, but mom and dad got hooked and went in '10 (had to be rescued halfway), and we are all going again in '11.

Last couple years i've mentioned drag week "someday". Well, last week, sittin' on the front porch reading hot rod, jaw hits the floor. Showed the venues to my wife, she said ok. So now i'm saving money and getting the car all fixed up again. But it's a different frame of mind. I'm thinking of how many spare parts to bring with me. The thought of swapping things like head gaskets or the input shaft of the trans, while in a parking lot or pit stall, is discomforting, but if i already own the parts and tools and I have the ability, well, I gotta take all that crap with me. Because I plan to pour in the good gas, dial up the boost, and run it like I stole it. I will NOT be there just to say I did it.

Comment

Originally posted by boosted buick
                          I'll admit the power tour wasn't as nerve racking as this is shaping up to be. I did long haul the GN in 08, redid the whole cooling system before, new tires, etc. Didn't anticipate much trouble because I knew I wouldn't be abusing the car. Drag week, how the hell can you NOT abuse the car? Half throttle the 1/4 mile? Just as well stay home, LOL. This year's power tour is a lot farther away from home, but this year we are in a new challenger (her toy) so I don't even need to carry anything with us. I met a lot of nice people on the tour, most show car guys are nice overall, some are full of $hit but even they are usually good people. A few snobs will ruin it for the rest of the crowd, no doubt.

I thought about the PT for years, didn't ever convince myself to do it until 08 when it came close by. Then I said, screw it i'm going, hell or high water, who's going with me? Convinced mom and dad to go in one of their old mopars, and the wife said ok. We missed 09 because my 2nd child was due, but mom and dad got hooked and went in '10 (had to be rescued halfway), and we are all going again in '11.

Last couple years i've mentioned drag week "someday". Well, last week, sittin' on the front porch reading hot rod, jaw hits the floor. Showed the venues to my wife, she said ok. So now i'm saving money and getting the car all fixed up again. But it's a different frame of mind. I'm thinking of how many spare parts to bring with me. The thought of swapping things like head gaskets or the input shaft of the trans, while in a parking lot or pit stall, is discomforting, but if i already own the parts and tools and I have the ability, well, I gotta take all that crap with me. Because I plan to pour in the good gas, dial up the boost, and run it like I stole it. I will NOT be there just to say I did it.
                          I will say this, after the last day and you sit back and realize that

1.WOW that went fast
                          2. I am glad I made it the whole week regardless of breakage, or winning.
                          3. When is next years DW.

Which reminds me i have to get my but in gear after Maxton this week.
                          Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

WTF? Your wife just said "ok"? I remember it a lil more like this:

BoostedBuick: OMFG
                            Pinkhemi: Quit drooling, OMFG what? Boostedbuick: Look at this dragweek route
                            Pinkhemi: OMG we should go, oh wait I don't wanna leave the kids again after leaving them for 2 weeks during PT, but YOU should definitely GO, its sooo close to home, Kids and I'll come to the Topeka stops.

Comment

:o :o ;D Now we know.

Comment

Working...
                              X