Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It just keeps getting better (and more expensive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dieselgeek
    replied
    Originally posted by milner351 View Post
    Nice work as always Scott - I can't wait to hear about how drag week goes for all these guys - any updates from Jay Brown?
    Jay is in the middle of an Epic Thrash right now. He has updates on his form, www.fepower.net. Look for "The Road To Drag Week" forum there. LOTS of updates and pics.

We had trouble either with his engine or his dyno, it makes for an interesting read.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    wow over 1.7 hp/ci!!!!! I wish my jy crap could do that.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    Nice work as always Scott - I can't wait to hear about how drag week goes for all these guys - any updates from Jay Brown?

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied
    Originally posted by milner351 View Post
    Bill - I was hoping it was your engine Scott was posting about on FB - holy mother of blessed acceleration!

Are you sure the cam is big enough? I mean - it's only over .800 lift! YOWZA!

Incredible power numbers, those combustion chambers / piston tops must be a very efficient combination - WELL DONE!

- is anyone else surprised at the small difference between the power numbers on the different octane fuels?
    Not too surprised. I attribute the slight power increase of the higher octane fuel to it's oxygenation. I think i was just e15 but not sure. Anyways, this motor made huge power with relative ease. If this doesn't get the Barge into the 9s, I am not sure what will. OK, wait I am sure, it's the nitrous he plumbed just in case...

Although I was completely burnt out from Bonneville, this was a fun thrash. We even built an "EDIS Dyno" to test out Bill's crank triggering system - turned out he had a frayed / disconnected wire in his harness that was causing it to lose the trigger signal. It didn't take long to find it once we had it all set up at home.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
    we made a best of 1014 HP @7500 and 808 Ft lb @ 5800 on VP MS 109 unleaded and 1006 HP @ 7500 and 793 Ft lb @ 5800 on 76 100 unleaded.
    Did I say I was running BB N/A!?!?! I think maybe I should change to DD!!!!! Yowza!

Leave a comment:

• jaybnve
    replied
    Great job Bill, and Congrats on topping the 1K HP mark! Looking forward to seeing your car run at Drag Week!

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied
    ... about thirty people here on Bang Shift ...
    That is awesome and we will all be following your team at DW !!!

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    Bill - I was hoping it was your engine Scott was posting about on FB - holy mother of blessed acceleration!

Are you sure the cam is big enough? I mean - it's only over .800 lift! YOWZA!

Incredible power numbers, those combustion chambers / piston tops must be a very efficient combination - WELL DONE!

- is anyone else surprised at the small difference between the power numbers on the different octane fuels?

HAVE FUN!

Leave a comment:

• Grumpy
    replied
    I'd like to second the "HOLY SHIT" Bill, sounds like you guys have really created an Animal this time, way to go and I hope you have a blast and everything goes "really" well for you on Drag Week this year!
    Last edited by Grumpy; August 22, 2011, 08:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• goat racer
    replied
    It was a fantastic thrash for sure! Congratulations again Bill for such a healthy power plant and an engine that needed nothing more than an oil change and valve lash check while on the pump. It was as solid as could be.
    Pretty angry, but solid!
    Listening to the engine while backing the total timing down was an amazing thing. As we got closer and closer to peak power at 28 degrees, the engine developed a totally different sound. The tone was deeper and sharper. It really came around as it neared it's full potential.

Bill, hopefully you will have enough power to pull that little trailer!

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    You go Bill! I'm starting again on my junk tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• biginch
    replied
    awesome Bill.

Leave a comment:

• Dignlif
    replied
    Holy shit Bill that's awesome! Especially the timing and fuel type it responded too. I can't wait to hear it. It'll have my car hiding behind the trailer and changing color to...oh wait.

well, break over. back to the garage.
    Last edited by Dignlif; August 21, 2011, 01:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CDMBill
    replied
    Well, we are pretty happy at this point. After 30 pulls and some serious hair pulling as we chased a bad trigger wheel signal wire we made a best of 1014 HP @7500 and 808 Ft lb @ 5800 on VP MS 109 unleaded and 1006 HP @ 7500 and 793 Ft lb @ 5800 on 76 100 unleaded. The motor likes 28 degrees total with either fule and we found that 26 degrees was virtually as good on the 100 when we ramped the curve up to 30* in smooth steps starting at 6000. We think we are good for driving on 91/93 and racing on the 100 as a precaution.

Final engine specs are 588" TFS A460 heads and tunnel ram manifold, twin Accufab dominator flange throttle bodies, 11.86:1 compression, 282/294/113 Comp roller cam with .825/.815 lift. Engine built by Dougan's Racing in consulation with Lem Evans, George Klass, Wilson Manifolds, about thirty people here on Bang Shift and the Virbancic Brothers George and Bob for an amazing dyno experience.

Huge thanks to Brian Rock and Scott Clark for the massive three day thrash to get everything ready for the dyno and to Chad for telling us that we have what amounts to an over sized LS motor and to drop the total timing to numbers we'd have thought were silly going into the dyno.

Now all I have to do is put it in and finish the car and trailer.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Holmes
    replied
    Or so I'm told, honey.

A little self preservation kicking in??

John Beck always says "chicks dig blowers". I've never asked if he meant a physical act or a piece of machinery...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X