Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It just keeps getting better (and more expensive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It just keeps getting better (and more expensive)

So yesterday I started to the car out to go to the local Saturday morning cruise/meet, Donut Derelicts for those who know the local SoCal tradition. And the motor made this little tack-tack sound which got louder over the warm up in the garage.

Being suspicious of valve train noises I pulled the valve covers and checked the lash. Low and behold the number 5 intake had opened up by .100+ and the rocker looked good, the adjuster was solid and and the valve was at the same height as the others. Checking the filter showed a few little hard metal chunks. Pulling the manifold revealed a roller lifter that had not been rotating all the time and some MIA needle bearings as the lifter body had contacted the lobe. The roller still spun but was back into the lifter body and would hang up a bit as I moved it with my finger.

Looks like more investigation is in order, but these were three year old lifters and that seems to be just a bit too long. So add a new cam, lifters and springs to the shopping list. I'd figured to do this this Summer anyway but I hope nothing else got scarfed up. Gotta love the Drag Week addiction, it keeps business going for our friends in the aftermarket. Maybe it'll even go a little faster?
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

well at least u caught it bvefore something really bad happened, then it woulda been really expensive

Comment

Time for Plan B!!
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

It kills me we can do some amazing technological things but can't seem to make a solid roller lifter that is 100% dead nuts reliable....

Good luck with it Bill!
        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

These are (were?) Crane Ultra-Pros and honestly I think I got more than my money's worth given the .800 lift, 1:8 rockers and the number of passes and the amount of street miles. I'm about 95% convinced that I'll go with the Isky easy roll solid bushing style for the next set due to my perception that there is a lesser chance of collateral damage if there is an issue.

The big question is spending the money to have the lifter bores bushed for larger lifers and their bigger wider rollers. .904 or .937, the 1 inch stuff is crazy expensive.
          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

They all go bad. LOL The ones that don't, have a mild lobe and a Hydraulic Roller. Bill has the right perspective, Solid rollers are race only and if he got 9000/12000 passes out of them, they where used up.
            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

better in driveway than driving

Sucks that it happened at all but at least it was in your driveway and not on the road. A dropped or misguided valve could have caused a bunch more work and expense. I am finally learning that the valve train is often the hardest working component set so looking only at price, which I often wind up doing, can be detrimental. I haven't gone to your level Bill and Jeff but I certainly spent more coin than I originally wanted to for some peace of mind.
              Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

the valve train parts are consumables essentially especially in a Drag Week style context. Given what might have been I'm lucky as it was a last minute decision to take my truck on the CC Anti Tour instead of the car. Could easily have happened at freeway speeds 150 miles from home. Now for the 'as long as I'm doing this I might as well do that" part.

Comment

I forgive you for bringing the truck instead of the car
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

you need to build one of these Bill.

Houston
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by biginch View Post
                      you need to build one of these Bill.

Houston
                      good movie worlds fastest indian

Comment

I have buddy who just recently set a single pot 125 CC Bike record at Bonneville. He has similar kinda wall of decorations and few tribute photos.

My deal has improved a bit the cylinder walls are pristine and the cam lobe looks like it can buffed out as it has just few tiny scratches. So now onto the replacement parts and inevitable upgrades "as long as its apart..."

Comment

Those are a killer

Comment

So, will a tunnel ram equipped EFI motor work equally well with a single 2200 CFM TB as it does with dual 1180 CFM TB's?

Comment

NO

Comment

Working...
                              X