Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It just keeps getting better (and more expensive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's why I'm sticking with low lift and a slow car, to minimize my consumables =P

What's your net lift again, 4 inches?
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

nah, its only .800. I seem to have issues with photo posing. Again.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

So the good news is that after doing a leak down on the long block and finding that number 5 (the one with the mildly fragged lifter) had 24% leak down, we disassembled the rest of the short block.

And we found that roller lifter needle fragments had attached themselves to skirt as they like to do and the bore on number 5 looks like it was vertically honed with 40 grit. So the good news is I'll pick up a few cubic inches, the bad news is new pistons etc. Motor should be done, wait for it, the week before Drag Week.

Never fails.
        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Ouch. I'm feeling nervous about mine and I "should" get mine back by the end of this month. I didn't even need to bore mine because the cylinders, I just opted for lighter forged pistons instead of heavy ones and they just happen to be larger =P

Did you see my thread where my roller has a dinky .512" lift?
          Last edited by TheSilverBuick; July 7, 2011, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Damn Bill, put some lift in that thing LOL
            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

[QUOTE=Did you see my thread where my roller has a dinky .512" lift?[/QUOTE]

That's smart Randall, I'm holding the line on the new cam at .830"

Builder says I am getting way better longevity than they had expected out of the cams. The springs are still good, go figure.

Comment

Geez Bill, that is a serious setback! Sorry to hear about the engine trouble, but if there was no last minute thrash, it wouldn't be Drag Week! You can do it, buddy...

I am envious of your lift. With the anemic 1.3:1 ratio rockers in the SOHC, the biggest cam I can get from Comp only gets me to .730 lift. My engine is definitely lift limited, and I'm working on a custom set of rockers to pump up the ratio to 1.5:1, but unfortunately there's no way they will be ready for Drag Week.

Comment

I think we'll make it, but there'll be zero testing from the way it looks. So we'll just put the top down and cruise.

Comment

Geez, Bill only a meesely .830 lift? You should've gone for the full one inch lift.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Good luck getting it together Bill, I'm looking forward to meeting and caravaning with you guys this year.
                      Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

so jeff, this means you need to get yours done at least one week earlier than usual. :-)
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Have you been talking to Mr Crow and TJ and Mrs Crow ?
                          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

At least a few hours earlier right?

Comment

I am beginning to think that I am blessed/cursed on this go around. As part of the refresh we magged the crank, not one but two 1"+ cracks in the filet radius of the #2 & 3 journals. So much junk now, maybe I can use it for table base. But, if the lifter doesn't die maybe the crank does at 6500 RPM and takes out everything, now I hope I never have to find out.

Sonny Bryant has all the remaining original Ford SVO Boss 429 4.5" stroker forgings so its franks and beans for another year. I shoulda built one of those 5.3 LS twin turbo deals like Hot Rod did. 1200 HP cheap as dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                                I shoulda built one of those 5.3 LS twin turbo deals like Hot Rod did. 1200 HP cheap as dirt.
                                Bill, I kinda know the feeling, maybe in micro version and I only have half the horsepower of yours =P I certainly didn't want to buy pistons.

Comment

Working...
                                X