Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It just keeps getting better (and more expensive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDMBill
    replied
    These are (were?) Crane Ultra-Pros and honestly I think I got more than my money's worth given the .800 lift, 1:8 rockers and the number of passes and the amount of street miles. I'm about 95% convinced that I'll go with the Isky easy roll solid bushing style for the next set due to my perception that there is a lesser chance of collateral damage if there is an issue.

The big question is spending the money to have the lifter bores bushed for larger lifers and their bigger wider rollers. .904 or .937, the 1 inch stuff is crazy expensive.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    It kills me we can do some amazing technological things but can't seem to make a solid roller lifter that is 100% dead nuts reliable....

Good luck with it Bill!

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Time for Plan B!!

Leave a comment:

• brandontinley
    replied
    well at least u caught it bvefore something really bad happened, then it woulda been really expensive

Leave a comment:

• CDMBill
    started a topic It just keeps getting better (and more expensive)

It just keeps getting better (and more expensive)

So yesterday I started to the car out to go to the local Saturday morning cruise/meet, Donut Derelicts for those who know the local SoCal tradition. And the motor made this little tack-tack sound which got louder over the warm up in the garage.

Being suspicious of valve train noises I pulled the valve covers and checked the lash. Low and behold the number 5 intake had opened up by .100+ and the rocker looked good, the adjuster was solid and and the valve was at the same height as the others. Checking the filter showed a few little hard metal chunks. Pulling the manifold revealed a roller lifter that had not been rotating all the time and some MIA needle bearings as the lifter body had contacted the lobe. The roller still spun but was back into the lifter body and would hang up a bit as I moved it with my finger.

Looks like more investigation is in order, but these were three year old lifters and that seems to be just a bit too long. So add a new cam, lifters and springs to the shopping list. I'd figured to do this this Summer anyway but I hope nothing else got scarfed up. Gotta love the Drag Week addiction, it keeps business going for our friends in the aftermarket. Maybe it'll even go a little faster?
Working...
X