579 RWHP and 540 FT LBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 579 RWHP and 540 FT LBS

First off, I used to be known as "TheLaw' but I could not log in under that name one day and spent three months trying to get BangShift to help me,sigh. Now I'm turbolaw IE: Tom, with the POS '77 blue turbo Nova.
    Yep made 579 rwhp @5700 and 540 ft lbs @ 5400 on 93 octane pump gas. I'm pretty happy with these numbers considering it is a mild 355 sbc, with a single turbo, and at a low streetable/liveable rpm.
    I made to base line pulls of 533 and 540. I started to add fuel to it and it went to 546, 554, 576 with the final pull of 579.
    Added timing but aborted the pull after it sounded like the pistons were changing holes.
    Went back to 20 degrees total and it matched the peak hp of the day.
    Now I have to wait for the winter to make a couple of passes at the track with the added hp. I went 10:18@131 at Toepka. I'm going try and drop 150 lbs off of the car and let it fly.
    See ya guys at Drag Week 2012.
    Last edited by turbolaw; December 6, 2011, 10:21 PM.
    All 12 Drag Weeks, same junk

Awesome man, see you there...
    sigpic

!!Check out my facebook race page!!!

Comment

Wish my POS made that power. . Glad you made it back on to the site.
      Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Nice .... now we need pics .... everything is better with pics.
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Nice work - it really amazes me the power levels folks are reaching with "simple" boosted applications these days. Well done! Look forward to meeting you on DW12.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Can you spell "Full Cage" and Lic. again. Sounds good Tom. Best of seasons. Vince
            First place SSBBNA 2014 and 2015
            Second place SSBBNA 2016
            Third place SSBBNA 2017
            Quickest ET in DD and Quickest Pontiac 2008, 2016 and 2017
            All 13 years of Drag Week in a Black 1969 Pontiac with Pontiac Power

Comment

Hey, I know that Guy! LOL

Good Job man!
              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
                Nice .... now we need pics .... everything is better with pics.
                Pictures, hmmmm I should have some lying around. I'll try to post them

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGTO View Post
                  Can you spell "Full Cage" and Lic. again. Sounds good Tom. Best of seasons. Vince
                  I love ya buddy but no cage or license for me. I stay away from Doctors. They have sharp objects and scare me. You can run into the 8's with a smile and a lapbelt at my local track. I'm going to find some way to run a nine second pass. Vince if you get over to the Grove with your car give me a call and I'll meet you there. See ya, Tom

Comment

Congrats Tom! I hope you got the super duper axles.
                    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

20 degrees total timing?!

That's a lotta HP for 20 degrees?

Could someone help me understand that?
                      Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
                        20 degrees total timing?!

That's a lotta HP for 20 degrees?

Could someone help me understand that?
                        Actually that's a lot more timing than I'd expect his combo to want! Pretty common for forced induction engines to want down in the teens for total advance. The more air charge you stuff into the cylinder, the less timing the engine usually wants. Lots of efficient chamber imports will run at 12-14 degrees total advance, but making 6+ hp per cubic inch.
                        Last edited by dieselgeek; December 8, 2011, 08:33 AM.
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

It's probably related to why you can run so much advance at part throttle, when there's much less charge pressure in the chamber.

And the thing about smaller engines...a smaller bore (and smaller chamber) means there's less distance for the flame front to travel across, so it takes less time, so you need less adavance.
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Bill Fowler's big ford only wanted 24-26 degrees of advance at WOT. Chamber efficiency apparently is the cause of this.
                            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Yeah, there are several variables. The modern chambers for big bore engines have small high swirl designs.
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X