X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dieselgeek
    replied
    Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
    Hey Tom - Great numbers out of your 355" sbc, cool deal! Tom is a member of the original class of Drag Week 2005!
    we had lunch with Tom in 2007 at the little restaurant on the west side of the river, near davenport ia. He has GREAT cop stories too!

Leave a comment:

• Grumpy
    replied
    Hey Tom - Great numbers out of your 355" sbc, cool deal! Tom is a member of the original class of Drag Week 2005!

Leave a comment:

• Paul Whalen
    replied
    thats cool. nice numbers. Turbos will rule the world someday... Didn't you run a low 10?

Leave a comment:

• turbolaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
    Nice .... now we need pics .... everything is better with pics.
    I'll try this one

Leave a comment:

• turbolaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Swede4 View Post
    579 RWHP and 540 FT LBS; congratulations on the Big numbers Tom – I can’t help but ask, during this dyno pull were you using the infamous wound-up axels you showed me pictures of in Topeka? LOL

Hardy Handshakes – Swede
    Ummmm, yes. The dyno runs were made with the twisted axles. I didn't think the dyno would twist the axles further due to there is no real shock, like a starting line, and both tires would have equal traction and load. However I did have my fingers crossed. I guess Strange makes a tough axle? The left has a three spilne twist and the right only has a 1 1/2 spline twist. New axles for next year.
    Last edited by turbolaw; December 10, 2011, 01:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• turbolaw
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeyG View Post
    Nice results Tom! How much boost was that on with pump gas?

I actually had Chad at my house and couldn't get logged on from the main pages. But if I reply to a post and then log in I don't have any problems
    Peak of 18 psi. But I think JeffMcKC hits the nail on the head when he states the INTAKE is seeing 18 psi. Due to the basic unported Edelbrock Performer RPM heads I'm using, and the cam dynamics, it's probable the combustion chambers is seeing less boost. See ya '12, Tom H

Leave a comment:

• Swede4
    replied
    579 RWHP and 540 FT LBS; congratulations on the Big numbers Tom – I can’t help but ask, during this dyno pull were you using the infamous wound-up axels you showed me pictures of in Topeka? LOL

Hardy Handshakes – Swede
    Last edited by Swede4; December 9, 2011, 02:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JoeyG
    replied
    Nice results Tom! How much boost was that on with pump gas?

I actually had Chad at my house and couldn't get logged on from the main pages. But if I reply to a post and then log in I don't have any problems

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied
    Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
    Are you EFI? You are if I remember, I would switch to E-85 at the track, Cough, Cough, who said that?
    he's probably seeing most, if not all, of the e85 benefits by running methanol injection. possibly even more.

Leave a comment:

• JeffMcKC
    replied
    Are you EFI? You are if I remember, I would switch to E-85 at the track, Cough, Cough, who said that?

Leave a comment:

• turbolaw
    replied
    I think I'm getting away with 20 degs because I have an iced down water to air intercooler and I'm running a Snow Performance water/meth system. I tried less total but the power was dropping off. See ya in '12

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    Yeah, there are several variables. The modern chambers for big bore engines have small high swirl designs.

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied
    Bill Fowler's big ford only wanted 24-26 degrees of advance at WOT. Chamber efficiency apparently is the cause of this.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    It's probably related to why you can run so much advance at part throttle, when there's much less charge pressure in the chamber.

And the thing about smaller engines...a smaller bore (and smaller chamber) means there's less distance for the flame front to travel across, so it takes less time, so you need less adavance.

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied
    Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
    20 degrees total timing?!

That's a lotta HP for 20 degrees?

Could someone help me understand that?
    Actually that's a lot more timing than I'd expect his combo to want! Pretty common for forced induction engines to want down in the teens for total advance. The more air charge you stuff into the cylinder, the less timing the engine usually wants. Lots of efficient chamber imports will run at 12-14 degrees total advance, but making 6+ hp per cubic inch.
    Last edited by dieselgeek; December 8, 2011, 08:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X