Drag Week 2012 No Shows???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like that concept ^^^^^

If I know when I need to be in the lanes, it lets ME manage MY time. More time to stroll the pits, spectate, etc.
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Another thing that would help...........don't make Drag Week your first pass.........go to your local track and practice on a T&T night. I am a bracket racer, and on the first day, when I watched some of the starting line etiquette I almost tipped over......(either that or I was hungover)........
      Team Clueless
      1st Place SB/NA DW12
      2nd Place SB/NA DW11
      sigpic

Comment

I understand your points, I dont think Drag Week works well that way, First the Heads up cars wander in all day long. Second the DD guys in two lanes its very easy for them to fire up and be pulling out and into the water as two are running and the pairs ( grudge) stay paired. not wondering who is next out of the four.

I did not go last year, and did not last long enough to worry about the last couple LOL. I won't sweat it however they do it. But groups getting called up is a non starter. If I get there (Or anyone right after my group just ran) and wait for 3 groups to run and have time for 1 run, while the DD guys are running hot laps of a full 40 or more cars. The heads up cars will pass on the event. You forget, at a event like your talking or I have been to, sportsman guys get two runs a day if they are lucky, its all about the Pros....... I dont want to cut anyone short. But If Larry was limited to groups, or 1 pass, the 6 Second run would not have happened.
        Last edited by JeffMcKC; March 22, 2012, 06:27 AM.
        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by lun40119 View Post
          Another thing that would help...........don't make Drag Week your first pass.........go to your local track and practice on a T&T night. I am a bracket racer, and on the first day, when I watched some of the starting line etiquette I almost tipped over......(either that or I was hungover)........
          You where seeing double, you where not double bulbed

Comment

Jeff,
            I'm talking about giving the fast guys 3 sessions, at a time they can anticipate...not fighting through a line for an hour and a half like last year! Ask Doc how bad it was, don't ask Jake, he can't remember....

Jake,
            It was like nails on a chalkboard at times!! But it is a "Street car" event!!

Comment

Originally posted by MoparBilly View Post
              Jeff,
              I'm talking about giving the fast guys 3 sessions, at a time they can anticipate...not fighting through a line for an hour and a half like last year! Ask Doc how bad it was, don't ask Jake, he can't remember....

Jake,
              It was like nails on a chalkboard at times!! But it is a "Street car" event!!
              I remember the latter part of the week. Tulsa was pretty bad, HPT, was a bummer. I really wish we would have started the event earlier.

PS. I am a pretty quick stage, even with the mufflers on........Ask my wife!!!
              New Best....1.366Sixty Foot. Halloween Havoc 2011. Great Lakes Dragaway.
              Last edited by lun40119; March 22, 2012, 07:36 AM.
              Team Clueless
              1st Place SB/NA DW12
              2nd Place SB/NA DW11
              sigpic

Comment

I've only been on one drag week, but I do like the open time format and really don't like the class time slot format, because sometimes things just don't go as planned, particularly when working on the car. I do like the idea of splitting the lines between the DD's and classes though. This last year to me it seemed the guy at the start line pointing at which two cars go to the line next made or broke how efficiently the line moved. Of course I'm the guy that hot laps because I'm no where near consistent with a 5-speed, so naturally I like the open format =P
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparBilly View Post
                  I based my above times on 8 am start time. 3.5 won't work, and certainly didn't last year, cars were still running until 1 to 1:30 or longer every day.
                  I think the four hour window is the major culprit here and as car counts have risen the race time window has shrunk as far as I can tell. Doc Fox talks about heads up cars doing one and done, but in the early days and even at last years event those that were 'in the hunt' made multiple laps if they could. If traction isn't perfect that likelyhood increases. One of the cool things about the event in the pat was the ability to make enough passes to get a good time. I think the four hour limit is the real proplem.

I think we need a minimum six hour track window. I understand there are more photo ops by cramming the departure window, but that has to be balanced against the size of the group now, and the big difference in average on road speed, and break down delays, its just reality.
                  Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

<------ will go down in History as being the only guy booted for being 1/2 hour late.

If they contiue with the early time they should mark cars that come in late and not let them make passes on the extended track time. This was the only thing that bothered me in the least the rest of the week they let cars run later in the day than the cut off with no way of knowing they had got there past the orig. cut off time.

Comment

I'm with Jeff on this one

Ok, since nobody wants to be the bad guy, I will do it.

The problem isn't a lack of reasonable track time, the problem is the hot-lappers.

Anyone who has been on drag week multiple times knows that after the first round of runs about 25% of competitors are done for the day, either voluntarily or for breakage. After the second round fully half the field is parked. Oddly in the third "round" the staging lanes are just as busy. The reason is because about 1/4 of the DD field is hot lapping all day long.

The argument about limited track time does hold water. If all 200 show up (likely this year) you need 200 first runs, 150 second runs, and 100 third runs. That's 450 runs total, or 225 pairings. At one minute per pairing that's still almost four hours needed, which is less than we are given.

The only viable solution is that we are all guaranteed at least one run provided we make it into the staging lanes before the cutoff, and after that split the lanes into DD, street, and heavy hitter (< 9.0). Daily driver runs freely and all they want until some of the class cars show up, then DD pauses long enough to bump off a few pairs of them. The heavy hitters are split off only as a SAFETY concern. Forcing a guy driving a 1500+hp car to "hurry up" because the guy behind him needs a run is a recipe for disaster. This aint a weekend bracket race where we are running the same old junk week after week, it's a high stakes once a year deal where a mistake can potentially cost you your life. (I know of one 7 second pass made on drag week without seat belts buckled). There are no paid pit crews, there is no unlimited supply of buddy-labor, it's you and a co-pilot, and maybe a random competitor to help you out of a jam, forcing the faster cars to adhere to a set schedule is a monumental SAFETY HAZARD! I don't think anyone wants to see a fatality because a competitor was forced to report to the staging lanes and didn't have time to look over his car properly.

For the DD guys, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but you must understand that if the faster cars are held back so that the slower cars can make unlimited runs, it won't take long before there isnt a drag week, I mean, you didn't come just to see grocery getters go down the track, did you?

Comment

I just say 1 or 2 lanes for the Heads up Classes and when at least 2 cars are there let them go, or if its been a while let them make a single. Then let the DD guys back at their fun.

A lot of guys dont understand what some of the DD cars do to the starting line too. I am not complaining one bit, but just asking for a little understanding of what can be at stake and as the cars get Wilder which we all want a few things need to be kept in mind, for the guys bringing them keep it safe and keep it so they can make a hit and get ready for the road.

Comment

I think part of MoparBilly's intent with the grouping idea is to manage starting line conditions better for the really fast cars. Instead of sending a 7 sec car down a cold track like they did in Tulsa.

Heck, I don't know what's best for the event. I'll just go, have fun and remember that it is a privilege to take part in such an event. I do think they should mention hot-lapping at the driver's meeting and encourage people to keep it to a minimum. I also believe it's unfair to think the DD cars are the only one's that hot lap. Anyone and everyone is capable of that.

Hell, the DD people are racing and paid their entry just like everybody else and many are trying to make it into the REAL race at week's end where dial-in's and reaction times make a difference.

Last edited by BBR; March 22, 2012, 02:48 PM.
                          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by biginch View Post
                            For the DD guys, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but you must understand that if the faster cars are held back so that the slower cars can make unlimited runs, it won't take long before there isnt a drag week, I mean, you didn't come just to see grocery getters go down the track, did you?
                            As great as your arguement is, my question becomes, are the spectators the ones financially driving the event? I think the DD group is. They pay the bulk of the entry fee's, that's where the money is. Advertiser's decal's on the 80(or less?) class cars or on the 120 (or more?) DD cars? Heck pretty much the only time I saw any heavy hitters go down the track is from them going straight to the front of the line when I was almost there.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

One thing to think of too. Crowds dont really come to watch a 12 or 13 second truck or car.. they want to see the fast cars.. also, sells magazines.
                              And yes, I'm one of the slow DD cars in the 12's..
                              Not to hurt anyones feelings, just sayin
                              Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
                              Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
                              Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
                              Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                                As great as your arguement is, my question becomes, are the spectators the ones financially driving the event? I think the DD group is. They pay the bulk of the entry fee's, that's where the money is. Advertiser's decal's on the 80(or less?) class cars or on the 120 (or more?) DD cars? Heck pretty much the only time I saw any heavy hitters go down the track is from them going straight to the front of the line when I was almost there.
                                Sure, there are a lot more daily drivers, but if this is also about selling magazines, coverage of 12-16 second cars do not get it done. I am just saying it should be fair for everyone, just because your car is capable of hot lapping, does not mean that gives that driver the right to do 8 passes a day. Everyone should have the opportunity to make at least two passes (yes we all pay the same fee). I agree that Larry and the other unlimited cars should go to the front of the line, those are the cars people pay to see and read about, and they may also need a couple of passes to get their stuff sorted out. But then they should also be held until anyone in line without the two passes are finished. I am hoping for much better staging this year, if not, I think a lot of the class people will drop out.
                                DocFox

Comment

Working...
                                X