Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has the best Turbo 400 to put behind 1400 HP N2O BBF in 3800# car w/GV added on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDMBill
    replied
    I fully understand the last minute thrash and its after effects. I'm still not sure which of us two bailed first that night.

I have a lot of reading left to do.

Leave a comment:

• jaybnve
    replied
    Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
    Jay, when you say the whole ATI setup, do they set up the GV unit as well or did you order teh ATI PG and then the GV and do your own assembly? I'm little surpized you just make one yourself as your fabricating and machining skils know no bounds.

Did you run it with the gear split or just the straight 1-2.
    I don't know if ATI will set up the overdrive for you; I just ordered the trans separately because I already had the overdrive. I set it up myself; nothing to it, really. I also just ran the straight 1-2 but if I'd had time I would have swapped in a different rear end gear to try running 1-2-OD at the track. It was all I could do to just get there last year, though...

Guess I'd better shut up now, or I'll blow the lid off Jeff's latest speed secret

Leave a comment:

• CDMBill
    replied
    Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
    Now you guys keep this quiet, this was going to be our big advantage, so now 5 people know lets keep this to ourselves..... LOL
    Sorry to blow the cover off the secret plans for world domination Jeff, but thank you for the soild advice. I promise not to tell anyone else.

I'm going to run some updated simulations and see if I can pick out the sweet spot for trans and rear gear ratios. I don't yet know all the choices and with the progressive N2O I'm in uncharted waters. But, I have a buddy who is pretty competitive in the West Coast 275X class with a BBC and a bunch of progressively applied happy gas so I have some guidance.

I suppose what I really should do is the gutted Fox route but I just can't seem to go there.

Leave a comment:

• CDMBill
    replied
    Originally posted by jaybnve View Post
    Bill, let me throw in the plug for the Glide + GVOD also. In my Shelby clone I bought the whole ATI setup so I can upgrade to the turbo motor eventually, and it is really a well engineered combination IMO. With the SFI case and bell no blankets are required, and it isn't that heavy, either. It's a nice combination.
    Jay, when you say the whole ATI setup, do they set up the GV unit as well or did you order teh ATI PG and then the GV and do your own assembly? I'm little surpized you just make one yourself as your fabricating and machining skils know no bounds.

Did you run it with the gear split or just the straight 1-2.

Leave a comment:

• JeffMcKC
    replied
    Now you guys keep this quiet, this was going to be our big advantage, so now 5 people know lets keep this to ourselves..... LOL

Leave a comment:

• jaybnve
    replied
    Bill, let me throw in the plug for the Glide + GVOD also. In my Shelby clone I bought the whole ATI setup so I can upgrade to the turbo motor eventually, and it is really a well engineered combination IMO. With the SFI case and bell no blankets are required, and it isn't that heavy, either. It's a nice combination.

Leave a comment:

• Racingcritters
    replied
    Thanks for your insight Jeff. Was looking for opinions as to why one over the other so as to add more knowledge for myself.
    I run stroker BBF's and have used C-6's and PG's depending on weight and street or strip,yup the PG is quicker. The TH400 is a new piece as is the GV for a new combo. Gotta love those Ultrabells!
    Now back to your regular progamming.

Leave a comment:

• JeffMcKC
    replied
    Originally posted by Racingcritters View Post
    At his weight (the car!) wouldn't the extra gear be more beneficial? The PG relies on the torque converter to make up for that lack of gear doesn't it?
    JeffMcKC, wouldn't a short driveshaft create less rotating mass? What would be the issue(s)? As for myself I have both a "shorty" PG
    and a "shorty" TH400 plus GV and run a near stock length driveshaft. Thanks.

The shorty glide is perfect! with the GV behind it thats what we will use

1 The glide with a gv gives you 3 speeds for the track. With better gear drops
    2 The PG with out a GV provided 2nd the converter has to be dead on, but once again we are talking 3 speeds not 2
    3 Rotating mass with a aluminum shaft is not much but short drive shaft on the end of a t400 and GV makes for higher working angles and that uses much more power up.
    4 A shorty glide with the GV on is the same lenght as a T400
    5. PC has less rotation inside using the power up.

People can use what they want, this is what we will use and why.

Leave a comment:

• Oklaracer
    replied
    I am using Lonnie at Extreme automatics.....He built me a spragless 400 for my heavy truck....if I am lucky I will make what you are hp wise. It should withstand the torque of my 555 BBC with a fogger. We will see. I want a GV...but its not in the buget right now.

Leave a comment:

• Racingcritters
    replied
    At his weight (the car!) wouldn't the extra gear be more beneficial? The PG relies on the torque converter to make up for that lack of gear doesn't it?
    JeffMcKC, wouldn't a short driveshaft create less rotating mass? What would be the issue(s)? As for myself I have both a "shorty" PG
    and a "shorty" TH400 plus GV and run a near stock length driveshaft. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• DusterDj
    replied
    Rossler is the man...

Leave a comment:

• JeffMcKC
    replied
    Bill we dont use a GV in either car, I had one but with a T400 it is just to much so I sold it. The drive shaft gets to short, to much weight and frankly the wrong gear ratios for what we do.

Both cars will if we change have GV and Glides with good cases and bellhousings ( read this as no sheilds or Blankets needed) Bill this is the way we roll......... LOL
    Last edited by JeffMcKC; March 23, 2012, 12:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CDMBill
    replied
    Originally posted by BBR View Post
    On the odd chance you want a C6, Frank Merkl is THE man when it comes to making killer C6's.

He says they work great in his 7 second Mustang.

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105603

Oh and you can just wrap up that AOD and send it to me if you need a place to store it.
    Thanks James. Interesting stuff. Sorry but the AOD will go into the Gasser Fairlane if we get that done for DW which I doubt highly for this year, but it looks better than maybe for next. Has to be an SBf with a Carburator (ack) since I can't run the BBF.

Leave a comment:

• CDMBill
    replied
    Originally posted by whichdoctor View Post
    4L80E is BIG and torque converter selection sucks. I was $7,000.00 deep when I bailed on that idea. Great concept, but steep development slope. I see no advantage of a 400 over a glide if you are going to run a gear vendors. You can punish a glide and it is lighter as well.
    Thanks Doc, the messages crossed. Do you have a GV? I couldn't remember.

The Glide with GV wasn't my first consideration, but as I can play with rear gear too, the 1st gear split and then the OD as Jeff suggest is a pretty cool idea. Not adding a 100# is also a nice thought.

I've seen a number of low teens power N2O cars have issues with their T400's so that is a consideration too.

Leave a comment:

• whichdoctor
    replied
    Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
    I was curious as to why Doc has stayed with a three speed and I know the big tire helps on the road. Does he have a GV?

2X on the Rossler, must be good stuff. Are these reomendations all T400 or 4l80e as well at Rossler?

Its the real world experience I'm trying to leverage.
    I used a Rossler 4L80E, Blew it up only once and Carl stood behind it for the repairs.
    Don Williams does my TH400 with lots of good aluminum internals, He is local.
    After 3 different torque converter attempts I could not get the car to 60 foot at all with the 4L80E.
    If I ever go with a different transmission program I am convinced a powerglide with a gear vendor would be perfect.
    No I do not have a gear vendor, (kept my hopes up to win one but no luck).
    Last edited by whichdoctor; March 23, 2012, 11:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X