No announcement yet.

Total mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you guys are talkin about back roads , do you mean like 2 lanes thar are 55 mph or like 35 mph?

Comment

yep, and through towns that are umm interesting. David hates the highway.
      Last edited by nesabo; April 1, 2012, 06:49 AM.
      Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
        i got some bad gas last year...
        I got what I am assuming is a bad tank of gas yesterday as my air fuel went way lean and I had to turn the idle screws out a whole other turn to keep it idling. Made me wonder about that happening on drag week.
        1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
        1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
          I got what I am assuming is a bad tank of gas yesterday as my air fuel went way lean and I had to turn the idle screws out a whole other turn to keep it idling. Made me wonder about that happening on drag week.
          Hopefully it's just a batch of E85 or such mixed into the wrong tank, so even if it leans out at the spark knock resistance goes up. Hopefully... I fill my Buick up with piss 85 octane around here and it seems to do fine on 87 octane at lower elevation, but I'll be giving it 90-93 octane during Drag Week just to be on the safe side.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 fast evo 2 View Post
            When you guys are talkin about back roads , do you mean like 2 lanes thar are 55 mph or like 35 mph?
            That'd be 55 in your car, and 35 or less in a skinny front tired, ladder bar, 50 year old car!

If you even think, "Maybe we should stop for gas here, even though the next town is only 15 miles", stop there, because the next town is going to be wide spot in the road with one 87(or less) pump that's 30 cents higher than the one you skipped!!

Comment

That's also the reason I've kept the stock 20 gallon gas tank with a few mods, and we had gas jugs with us as well. JIC.
              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by 1 fast evo 2 View Post
                Examples of the slowest way to go from A to B...
                If there's interstate available between cities, HOT ROD's required route puts you on the original two lane highway.
                If there's a bypass around a city, HOT ROD's required route puts you on the original "truck route" through the center of town (school zones, stop lights and traffic are inevitable).
                Ever follow a Combine down the two lane for twenty minutes in 95 degree heat? Then finally think you have a chance to pass it and a horse and buggy is coming!
                We usually avearge less than 50 mph on the typical route between tracks.
                D R A G - W E E K - '05 - '06 - '07 - '08 - '09 - '10 - '11 - '12 - '13 - '14 - '15 - '16 - '17

Comment

It's supposed to be easy and fun??!!

You guys are actin' like Drag Week is supposed to be easy and fun.

We're just spendin' lots of money to entertain the good folks at Hot Rod!

See ya in September!

Comment

You guys remember the gravel road to the one lane bridge in 06?

"I may be lost but I am makin good time!"

Knocked off my front wheelie snubber on a a man hole cover once.

Docs Car came clear off the ground in 06 in a Constuction zone said bump ahead then nothing but sparks and one closed off header tube.

Worst road was Chicago at 3:00 AM
                    Last edited by JeffMcKC; April 2, 2012, 02:06 PM.
                    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by ksuhre View Post
                      You guys are actin' like Drag Week is supposed to be easy and fun.
                      I'm not complaining. I'm just answering 1 fast evo 2's question with some factual examples....
                      D R A G - W E E K - '05 - '06 - '07 - '08 - '09 - '10 - '11 - '12 - '13 - '14 - '15 - '16 - '17

Comment

Thanks for the replys. I was just wonderin if the times between tracks where going to be extreme or if it was just the distances that where the hardest. I quess it will be the worst of both worlds and then you still have to keep the car together at the track. OOH BOY!!!

Comment

Me, truthfully.......I like the long rides. My wife and I did Power Tour in 09 with her Imp, and my Chevelle. I got pretty bored. The hotel parking lots were fun..........but I had alot more fun, seeing what Tom, (Doc's Navigator) was going to do at the next gas stop.

I am really looking forward to this year.........it is going to be a blast!!!
                          Team Clueless
                          1st Place SB/NA DW12
                          2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ProCharged509 View Post
                            I'm not complaining. I'm just answering 1 fast evo 2's question with some factual examples....
                            I know nobody is complaining... we all love it. My favorite part outside of the event itself is when I describe it to others and they say "and why do you do that?". Can't really explain it, you must experience it.

Comment

Drag Week makes no sense. Doesn't have too.

Copied from Wikipedia

Brief overview

Discussions about Drag Week involve much discussion about compulsive behaviors and disorders.
                              Doug Sellman at the National Drag Week Center offers what he calls "The 10 most important things to know about Drag Week".[2] He offers the following points, before explaining them in more detail (although even his full paper does not presume to be able to discuss all the important facts about Drag Week). First, Sellman says that the most important thing to know about Drag Week may be that Drag Week is "fundamentally about compulsive behavior" (see also Obsessive compulsive disorder)".[2] Second of all, such habits originate outside of consciousness (i.e. from the unconscious mind). The compulsive sequence of behaviors are so practiced that they can be extremely difficult to avoid initiating, and even harder to interrupt. Sellman maintains, thirdly, that Drag Week is 50% heritable. In other words, family background and genetics play a large role (see also Nature versus Nurture).

The fourth most important thing is that people with Drag Weeks often have other psychiatric problems (e.g. psychiatric disorders), which can complicate matters. Next, fifth, Sellman explains that Drag Week is characterized by frequent relapse, and that one should not expect to overcome Drag Week on the first try. The sixth point he makes is that the different forms of psychotherapy all produce similar results that may be based on what is common between them (i.e. a strong bond with a trusted friend). Sellman's seventh most important thing about Drag Week is that ‘come back when you're motivated’ is an inappropriate approach to Drag Week.[2] Individuals have very specific problems, and so it is important to find ways to engage the addicted individual (Sellman describes how empathy is crucial, for example). His next, eighth point expands on this idea: Sellman says that doctors should apply as broad an approach to the individual as possible. This means combining various rejuvenating approaches, including prescription drugs, family therapy, social and legal support, providing accommodations, and more. The ninth important thing about Drag Week is that epiphanies are rare - even though they are the most popular kind of story to spread.

The tenth, and final important thing that Sellman explains is that change takes time (months or years of failing and trying more). He advocates for the importance of patience and persistence in practicing new behaviors over long periods of time. He concludes by appealing to all professionals involved in combating Drag Week; he asks that they all work together - because the combined knowledge of all fields is what is required.[2]
                              Last edited by TheSilverBuick; April 3, 2012, 07:05 AM.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Maybe having less than optimum compression and a stock fuel tank isn't such a bad thing.... I'm thinking that buying an up to date road atlas and updating the GPS maps version would be good ideas as well.

Anybody else thinking about bringing a CB?

With the out of the way routes you're describing - I imagine cell phone coverage will be marginal at best?
                                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X