Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evans NPG + Super Coolant, how many are using it on Drag Week?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Evans NPG + Super Coolant, how many are using it on Drag Week?

    Pro's-con's?

  • #2
    Everyone I know who has tried it for this kind of use has abandoned it because sooner or later the cooling system has to come apart or leaks or whatever and they don't have enough on hand to replace it so they go back to what they can scrouge on the road.

    I sue Zerex Super Coolant. One does the whole system and its compatable with water and whatver else you may need to uses when the time comes. Oh and it really works and doesn't have ethelyne glycol.
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

    Comment


    • #3
      Zerex Super Coolant? Is that like an additive?

      I see:
      Zerex Super Cleaner
      Zerex Super Flush
      Zerex Super Protector
      Zerex Super Sealer

      but no Super Coolant.
      Last edited by BBR; May 24, 2012, 11:16 AM.
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ix-to-4sixzero
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

      Comment


      • #4
        I thought tracks hated coolant due to clean up reasons.... distilled water and watter wetter?
        Last edited by milner351; May 24, 2012, 11:19 AM.
        There's always something new to learn.

        Comment


        • #5
          I use water and the Royal Purple stuf they gave us one year and its works well for me
          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

          Comment


          • #6
            Valvoline/Zerex Super Coolant appears to be discontinued.

            http://compare.ebay.com/like/2906785...Types&var=sbar
            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ix-to-4sixzero
            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BBR View Post
              Zerex Super Coolant? Is that like an additive?

              I see:
              Zerex Super Cleaner
              Zerex Super Flush
              Zerex Super Protector
              Zerex Super Sealer

              but no Super Coolant.
              http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...FL._SS500_.jpg

              Sorry about that. Its dual labled Valvoline and Zerex. I orginally read about this stuff in Car and Driver of all things (see link) It has a small amount of Ethylene Glycol I wanted to clarfy but I've asked at several tracks that ban the usaul yellow stuff and green stuff and they were OK with it. Its one quart that treats the entire system. I use reverse osmosis distilled water.

              It isn't advertised anywhere but shows up on a lot of web sites and is also popular with the computer CPU overclocking crowd who have water cooled computers, seriously.

              http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valvoline-Ra...8#ht_957wt_992

              http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/...iptions-page-1
              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

              Comment


              • #8
                Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

                Comment


                • #9
                  BTW, no knock on the Evans stuff, just what I've seen with friends. I haven't used it myself.
                  Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I wonder if the stuff made for racing is OK with the NHRA?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BBR View Post
                      Valvoline/Zerex Super Coolant appears to be discontinued.

                      http://compare.ebay.com/like/2906785...Types&var=sbar
                      I'm bummed as I ran across that one too so I'm going to pick up a few more, I've liked it as its kept the radiators and other parts clean and working well, no crud or rust build up and its pretty cost effective.
                      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I've been running Evans NPG+ coolant in the Blazer since it first went on Drag Week in 2007.
                        Pros:
                        1) removes more heat from the engine
                        2) eliminates hot spots in the heads
                        3) very high boiling point
                        4) zero pressure radiator cap
                        5) 100% coolant (no water)

                        Cons:
                        A) radiator, water pump & fans must be able to get rid of all the heat it removes
                        B) special radiator cap
                        C) about 32 bucks a gallon (and my system holds over four gallons)
                        D) converting to Evans requires a 100% purge with special Evans chemicals
                        E) if you ever add water, you ruin the NPG+ coolant's benefits over regular antifreeze!
                        F) if you need more NPG+ on the road, you better have it with you

                        I'm still running the original coolant I installed back in 2007. It doesn't ever wear out. The Evans is worth it to me because I run 25 pounds of boost at 30 degrees of timing with no detonation issues.

                        Your results may be different.......
                        D R A G - W E E K - '05 - '06 - '07 - '08 - '09 - '10 - '11 - '12 - '13 - '14 - '15 - '16 - '17

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Track Cleanup is OK with it? I know regular anti freeze is not looked favorably upon.
                          Neal

                          Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks for taking the time to type all that, with all the heat removed do you see higher indicated temps compaired to water?
                            Boost and the center two cylinders, 2 exhaust valves next to each other with a Pontiac are good reasons to pull the heat out.
                            Thanks Ed

                            Originally posted by ProCharged509 View Post
                            I've been running Evans NPG+ coolant in the Blazer since it first went on Drag Week in 2007.
                            Pros:
                            1) removes more heat from the engine
                            2) eliminates hot spots in the heads
                            3) very high boiling point
                            4) zero pressure radiator cap
                            5) 100% coolant (no water)

                            Cons:
                            A) radiator, water pump & fans must be able to get rid of all the heat it removes
                            B) special radiator cap
                            C) about 32 bucks a gallon (and my system holds over four gallons)
                            D) converting to Evans requires a 100% purge with special Evans chemicals
                            E) if you ever add water, you ruin the NPG+ coolant's benefits over regular antifreeze!
                            F) if you need more NPG+ on the road, you better have it with you

                            I'm still running the original coolant I installed back in 2007. It doesn't ever wear out. The Evans is worth it to me because I run 25 pounds of boost at 30 degrees of timing with no detonation issues.

                            Your results may be different.......

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by v869tr6 View Post
                              ... do you see higher indicated temps compared to water? ... Ed
                              I don't know Ed. I put the Evans in when I first built the 509 to prevent detonation. I've had it apart since and it definitely works in my engine combo.
                              D R A G - W E E K - '05 - '06 - '07 - '08 - '09 - '10 - '11 - '12 - '13 - '14 - '15 - '16 - '17

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X