5/8 Drive studs on our 'street' cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
    A bias tire does not shock like a Drag Radial does the stiffer sidewall and the Dead Hook of a radial tends to "Windrow" the studds and if it goes into shake has broke all 5 off many times, taking out some very nice body work and sending a guy into the railing or the other lane when it does.

Stick shifts and bias tires can, but you dont see it very often, they just dont transfer the shock the radial tires do when they go into the shake.....

If you have a shanked lug the 5/8 should fit they have no threads in that area but use a flush nut with a washer no shank in the wheel
    not for sure when they actually "windrowed", because he runs drag radials on Drag Week, and slicks while bracket racing..... but definately time for an upgrade!!
    Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
    Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
    Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
    Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

I suspect I have cheated death to date as the Strange axles have a thicker flange, they use screw in stubs, not press in and the McGard race lugs have full length shanks that square up the wheel and they are torqued to 95 ft/lbs. I'm still changing to the 5/8's drive studs. The Mark Williams stuff looks really good with the one piece washer nut set up.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

It could be that you did everything right....while those guys who had problems might have had a few compromises.

At least with the big studs you'll have one less thing to worry about.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

How does bolt pattern diameter play into it? 4.5", 4.75", 5", etc? Does a larger diameter make it easier, harder, no-effect on bending/breaking the studs?
          Last edited by TheSilverBuick; May 29, 2012, 07:10 AM.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
            The Mark Williams stuff looks really good with the one piece washer nut set up.
            This is what I have been using for a few years, MW drive studs also. Quality stuff...
            Not the best picture, but....

5-10-MUSTANG0018 by Joe Grippo, on Flickr
            Time Wasters...
            http://public.fotki.com/JoeGrippo/
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_grippo/sets/
            http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeGrippo?feature=mhum

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
              How does bolt pattern diameter play into it? 4.5", 4.75", 5", etc? Does a larger diameter make it easier, harder, no-effect on bending/breaking the studs?
              After reading a bunch on the Mark Williams site I think you can infer that the larger bolt circle adds some benefit as the Pro Stock 40 spline axles and associated stuff are offerred with bolt circles up to 5.5". At that point you are dealing with the interplay of the wheel design, flange design, bearing type etc. etc. and the math is beyond me.

It'll be fun to spend a little time at tech in during Drag Week to get a rough survey of what cars run what and why.
              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

My axles in the Nova are MW the ting to watchout for with his stuff is the spline angle changes, his Spools take their axles only or they used too. Mine are a 40 spline with a Threaded bearing retainer behind a Olds Bearing sized housing end, all very large stuff, and they are 5 on 5
                Last edited by JeffMcKC; May 29, 2012, 08:23 AM.
                2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                  For any given lug nut style, the larger the bolt pattern diameter = higher torque capacity. Larger studs, ditto. More studs, ditto.
                  D R A G - W E E K - '05 - '06 - '07 - '08 - '09 - '10 - '11 - '12 - '13 - '14 - '15 - '16 - '17

Comment

I've had two nuts gall and seize on me but that was before I learned about putting something on the threads...a little lube for the 'ole in and out as it were. I haven't had any other issues than those two in 8 years with the Moser setup I have.
                    Last edited by Dignlif; May 29, 2012, 12:19 PM.
                    Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

That larger bolt circle would have the effect of reducing torque on the studs as a function of the distance. The full shank lug inside the "mag style" wheel also would seem to help versus a taper seat nut that sits well above the wheel/axle flange plane making them more likely to windrow.

I called Strage today. Drilling and tapping their axles cost $80 plus the cost of the studs which I'd install so no labor there. Just the time lost and the shipping expense back and forth.

Comment

The sole purpose of a bolt (any bolt) is to clamp two items together. They are not to be used for driving the wheel (although they do occasionally due to misalignment). The resulting clamping force between the wheel and hub from tightening a lug nut is what keeps the wheel from slipping with respect to the hub. If you torque your lug nuts correctly and you see evidence of slippage (or egging of the wheel hole or bent studs), it is time to move up a size in lug studs. The larger the size, the larger the clamping force that the lug nut produces when torqued to its correct value.

As for the larger patterns- they spread the clamping force over a larger area. How much help that is depends on wheel design and hub design and how "springy" they are.
                        Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Originally posted by ProCharged509 View Post
                          For any given lug nut style, the larger the bolt pattern diameter = higher torque capacity. Larger studs, ditto. More studs, ditto.
                          I think I'll just resort to making a lot less torque... seems that would eliminate the need for all that larger stuff!

Comment

That is one great looking Cuda.

Yeah the more torque equals new and more expensive everything gets old, but going faster is a great offset. After going through all the costs I'm ordering new axles, its only a little more money and I get fresh bearings which I needed any way and save some shipping, local labor etc. I can talk myself into all kinds of stupid stuff.

Now, if only I could actually go faster.

Comment

Ok can eveyone fill in the blanks with the correct when to up grade
                              assuming DR tire is beeing used. Is the rule of thump bassed off 60FT times?

stock 5/8 studs
                              1/2 fine wheel studs

When to up grade axles
                              Stock axles
                              33 spline
                              35 spline
                              40 spline

thanks for the imput, I think this would be good for all
                              Drag Week 2006 11.00 index DNF
                              Drag Week 2011 DD
                              Drag week 2012 Hot Rod Winner
                              Drag week 2013 Hot Rod Winner

Comment

35 and 5/8 if you have radials I would always buy 5/8

You dont chop a dogs tail off a inch at a time..........
                                2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                                First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                                2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                                2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
                                X