Mufflers for the long drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lun40119 View Post
    Don't even go there Doc!!! I've riden along side of you, and I couldn't hear my own car!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l1BL...7&feature=plcp
    Jake, I started the car sunday with the new induction configuration and I thought I left the mufflers off as it was louder than I had ever noticed before, and I never spun the rpm over 2000 since I didnt have my timing light to check total timing and rotor phase.
    HOTROD Dragweek Pro Street N/A winner 2007,2011, 2012/ 2nd, 2009
    HOTROD Dragweek quickest and fastest naturally aspirated car in any class 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012
    FIRST IN THE EIGHTS Legal Pro Street N/A HOTROD Drag Week 2012

Comment

Can't wait to hear it Doc!!!
      Team Clueless
      1st Place SB/NA DW12
      2nd Place SB/NA DW11
      sigpic

Comment

fenderwell headers 3'' into 12'' bullet mufflers turn downs in front of rear wheels.......what ...what .....WHAT !!!!!!....not for the faint at heart....we wore ear plugs last year...... im going to have new mufflers this year.....

Comment

I ran 3 inch pipe into 2 chamber Flowmasters for Dragweeks 06 thru 08. Then changed to 2 1/2 inch pipe and Dynomax Ultraflo Welded mufflers. The car became much quieter at road speeds and the gas mileage increased. Since my Camaro only has 302 cubic inches, it is necessary to remove the exhaust when on the track. Removal is worth a min of at least 3 tenths!

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
            Case size is the key to quiet, the bigger the case for a given length and inlet/outlet diameter the quieter it'll be in almost any brand. It will also be heavier.
            That's what it's all about....big mufflers are quieter than small mufflers. And you want the outlet way in the back, away from your ears.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Single 3 inch exhaust through a Magnaflow that splits into two 2 1/2 inch tailpipes that have two Vibrant resonators. Nice and quiet. Electronic cut out at the right front fender if I want to be loud.
              Last edited by turbolaw; June 19, 2012, 11:00 PM.
              All 12 Drag Weeks, same junk

Comment

So you guys think 5" is going to be deafening?....lol

Comment

Originally posted by oklaracer View Post
                  so you guys think 5" is going to be deafening?....lol
                  huhhhh??
                  Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
                  Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
                  Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
                  Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

Originally posted by Oklaracer View Post
                    So you guys think 5" is going to be deafening?....lol
                    Not if its after a Turbo
                    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Do you really need any mufflers after a turbo??

seems like they quiet the exhaust down a ton by themselves!!

Comment

I'm going to try a set of these:

Get fast, Free Standard Shipping on orders over Summit Racing Equipment from $109 -- no shipping, handling, or rural fees! Exclusions apply.

Dynomax VT. Has a flapper valve that makes them quiet when cruising but opens up for free flow at WOT. Sort of like the 'vette does with its flapper valve.

I had a Moroso spiroflow set up on my car, had to wear ear plugs until I lined the car with HVAC duct insulation:

Finally got it really quiet inside when I extended the exhaust tip all the way back past the bumper.

It was quiet inside but still set off every honda/acura alarm when I'd pull through a parking lot. LOL
                        I'm still learning

Comment

I can set off car alarms with mine....... I love that!!!

My neighbor says it is weird........my car isn't loud, but the depth of the noise and the resonance shakes the soffets on the house when I drive by.
                          Last edited by lun40119; June 20, 2012, 09:07 AM.
                          Team Clueless
                          1st Place SB/NA DW12
                          2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lun40119 View Post
                            I can set off car alarms with mine....... I love that!!!
                            Yea, my truck does the same.. it's really effective cuz the exhaust exits out the sides. So when you drive by a car, or especially in a covered parking, it will set off EVERY cars alarm!!

Comment

If you put the muffs at the rear bumper it will make it quieter... as the gasses get cooler
                              they reduce in volume(area) and is much easier to control the note... plus it has less
                              back pressure... I worked in the Fuel& Exhaust lab at Chrysler for 35 years and did tons
                              of testing... if you notice now days the muffs on most new cars is back as far as possible
                              to gain a few things... more HP due to the lesser back pressure and its easier to control
                              the sound

Comment

Hearing is over rated!
                                DocFox

Comment

Working...
                                X