dist bronze gear wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dist bronze gear wear

I realize from what I've read on bronze gears, that they are designed to wear. but my gears only last about 2500 miles..
    Is that OK??
    Last year on Drag Week, I had to readjust my timing at every track. The timing would be retarded by 2-4*.

This is my 3rd gear.. I checked to make sure it wasn't bottoming out on the cam.

Also its a MSD dist. and MSD gear. On a comp. cam.

Last edited by LAGNAF; August 9, 2012, 07:24 PM.
    Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
    Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
    Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
    Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

What kind of cam core? I was always uncomfortable with bronze gears and the designed in wear on street driven cars. All that stuff goes somewhere, hopefully the filter but where else...?

I had good luck with the Crane steel gear on steel roller cam cores back when I ran a dfistributor. Some folks report good use on the Comp ploy gears but I have no direct experience. The other issues is the oil pump, standrad or high volume or high pressure? All effect distributor gear life.
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Get a composite gear.
      HOTROD Dragweek Pro Street N/A winner 2007,2011, 2012/ 2nd, 2009
      HOTROD Dragweek quickest and fastest naturally aspirated car in any class 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012
      FIRST IN THE EIGHTS Legal Pro Street N/A HOTROD Drag Week 2012

Comment

I ate up a gear during drag week during 2010. I had a cast gear pressed onto my billet can core. It was supposed to be compatible with the standard msd Dist gear. Comp warrantied the cam. And I went to a melonized Dist gear. Have zero wear after almost 2000 miles.
        "Friends don't let friends run the daily driver class,"

Comment

If you have HIGH oil pressure it will wear out faster... I have been
          running the bronze gears in my SB Mopar and get better than 3500
          miles with some wear... it might go 5000 but that might be it... also
          big spring pressure will snap it back and forth causing wear

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
            What kind of cam core? I was always uncomfortable with bronze gears and the designed in wear on street driven cars. All that stuff goes somewhere, hopefully the filter but where else...?

I had good luck with the Crane steel gear on steel roller cam cores back when I ran a dfistributor. Some folks report good use on the Comp ploy gears but I have no direct experience. The other issues is the oil pump, standrad or high volume or high pressure? All effect distributor gear life.
            its a steel, not cast cam.

Comment

Originally posted by whichdoctor View Post
              Get a composite gear.

I'd thought of a composite gear, but hadn't heard of anyone directly that had used one..

just makes me nervous using a "plastic" gear to run my oil pump and push my valves open..

Comment

8500 miles on my brass gear on the unilite. It still looks brand new but it is a better gear though from CV Products. I just installed an MSD distributor in the car with a different shaft size. Tom(engine builder) is sending a better gear......he says the MSD gears are crap.

High OP will trash the gear every time. I have 45lbs at 8500rpm.
                Last edited by lun40119; August 10, 2012, 03:26 AM.
                Team Clueless
                1st Place SB/NA DW12
                2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                sigpic

Comment

my first bronze went about 4500 miles,and it looked pretty rough.this one has about 3500 on it.this one is wearing much better,but is one of my "must check" items before dw.i may look at a composite gear myself.
                  63 Plymouth DW 2011 Quickest Mopar 11.38@119 Daily Driver

Comment

Careful with the plastic stuff.......I brought a cold motor to the dyno a couple years back and sheared all the teeth off it. I won't run one.
                    Team Clueless
                    1st Place SB/NA DW12
                    2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by moparman63 View Post
                      my first bronze went about 4500 miles,and it looked pretty rough.this one has about 3500 on it.this one is wearing much better,but is one of my "must check" items before dw.i may look at a composite gear myself.
                      I've learned to cheat them for some added miles... for us Mopar
                      guys we have the intermediate shaft with the gear on it... if its worn
                      to the point you are thinking of changing it... put a few of the thin washers
                      (like the torrington bearing washers) under the gear to lift it up to get it
                      to wear at a different point... dont get carried away and lift it so much that
                      it pulls out of the oil pump

Comment

Originally posted by lun40119 View Post
                        8500 miles on my brass gear on the unilite. It still looks brand new but it is a better gear though from CV Products. I just installed an MSD distributor in the car with a different shaft size. Tom(engine builder) is sending a better gear......he says the MSD gears are crap.

High OP will trash the gear every time. I have 45lbs at 8500rpm.
                        I looked at CV Products online. Looks like they sell MSD gears.. Where/what gears are you talking about??

Comment

I use the plastic, but always let my oil warm a bit before getting after the throttle because of high pressure. I also leave the bottom o-ring off the dist and or drill a small hole thru the oil channel ( real small) to spray on the gear
                          Last edited by JeffMcKC; August 10, 2012, 06:15 AM.
                          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

To be real honest........I have never really asked questions about the gear. Tom put it on there, and it worked. Let me do a little research......
                            Team Clueless
                            1st Place SB/NA DW12
                            2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                            sigpic

Comment

I am pretty sure this is the gear that is used......

Team Clueless
                              1st Place SB/NA DW12
                              2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X