Drag week Lessons learned (and other babbling) from a first timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag week Lessons learned (and other babbling) from a first timer

My head is reeling from the all night drive from Tulsa to Indiana, so please forgive any misspellings or nonsensical gramar or sentence structure - I want to get this down before I forget it all, hopefully my observations will help someone prepare for next year.

These are my lessons learned from my first, and arguably the longest DW to date.

When analyzing your engine build budget - DO NOT skimp on the valve train!

When choosing a camshaft - keep all the roadside thrashing in mind - maybe one step down in lift and or spring pressure isn't such a bad idea.

Don't buy powerglides in Australia.

If you don't have overdrive, Take a sharp pencil to your gear ratio and tire rev/mile calculations. Look into how tall of a tire you can manage to fit with a loaded trunk (air shocks, adjustable coil overs, etc), while also looking at the shortest slick you can get that will send you through the traps near the top of your rpm range in top gear. You could go for swapping 9" center sections at the track if you don't mind the smell of hot gear oil and the time required.

Drive your car a few hundred miles on a hot day long before drag week - keep your AAA card handy - and pay attention to the temperature of the floors, as well as the engine, transmission, and fuel system. Then consider being in the car 4, 6 or more hours a day in the blazing sun or pounding rain.

Don't buy a cheap electric fuel pump - if you don't have to have an electric - a heavy duty mechanical sure makes a lot of sense for this torture test.
    ("race pumps" were being packed in ice to make the drives, fuel pump controllers were sending cars to the roadside with wiring cross talk / interference / shielding issues)

Don't run a fuse near the alternator - fuse it close to the battery away from vibration. We found this one on Carl's car a week before drag week, on the side of the road.

What to bring:
    complete engine gasket set
    spare rockers, pushrods, valve springs
    atleast a quart of all fluids
    tuning kit - carb/efi parts, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, spare ignition coil.
    if you have an uncommon alternator - and it's older - bring a spare, same goes for the starter
    drain the glycol - run water (some had good luck with additives)
    Have a good fan shroud, if clutched - make sure the clutch is healthy - if electric - make sure the wiring and controller is up to the task.
    Sunscreen, wide brimmed hat, and if one will fit - a canopy / tent / shade maker of some kind.
    Files, magnet, JB weld, gasket sealer, and a couple of flashlights - the magnetic LED ones are sweet.
    Spare fuel filters (plugged with bottom of the tank garbage from out of the way gas stations)
    Oil filter - (smashed by a chunk of something flying up from the road)

Wire in Idiot lights! during long hot drives it's way too easy to loose focus and not look at gauges often -
    brite idiot lights that turn on at low oil pressure(or ignition cut out oil pressure switch) or high coolant temp and trans temp could really save your bacon.

Aim your headlights!
    Holy crap did we drive through the middle of nowhere and dark doesn't begin to describe the headlight sucking blackness we drove through on switch back indian reservation mountain back roads.

You meet the nicest people on drag week, and speaking of nice people, if you're in a scrape, the BS DW crew is a good team to have on your side, Slimbo, Jeff McK, MoparBilly, and Diginlif just to name a few. Some call me a big guy, these guys are mountains of men, and some of the nicest most knowledgable folks ever.

And to quote the tshirt (which I forgot to get damit)
    "If you haven't survived Dragweek - shut up"

Now to finish the falcon for next year....
    There's always something new to learn.

yep, just about a carbon copy of my thoughts and list......I wouldn't let Cameron buy the "shut up" shirt Monday, because that is not school apropiate. However, I bought both of us one on Friday because I have a clearer understanding of what drag week is all about.

PS
    The "real" cam and predator is going on after this week's local car show. Getting the testing in for next time. I am HOOKED on this crazy week.
    Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

very well said....i did the thrid member change at the track last year..it sucks!!!

Comment

Also...bring a good copilot. You can do it without, but it sure makes it more fun, and easier
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          Also...bring a good copilot. You can do it without, but it sure makes it more fun, and easier
          Shockingly, my 13 year old son did an AWESOME job as a navigator...

I need to start looking at trailering for next year, more stuff I want to bring (a spare ecu and I could have made it back to Tulsa...)

Comment

Well said.
            Last edited by ksj2; September 16, 2012, 07:44 PM.

Comment

John, was great to meet you and Matt. I'll add the burned fair skinned / rain soaked X2 billion on the port-a-shade. I didn't see it so I'll toss this out for consideration because it went on my list. The concrete or asphalt is HOT and dirty - bring a tarp or blanket, anything to get you off the tarmac. I'm sorry to say I probably caused the rain because I bought a rain jacket on Wednesday night. Sorry guys and gals.

The rest of my list is a bit of a shocker - food! haha. Less beer, more food. lol. Hot and beer only go so far together. 3.2 Oklahoma beer, btw, tastes horrible. I didn't think you had to water down Keystone, apparently you do. Something salty to lose the ratty beer taste would be great.

I'm old and grouchy about technology but after seeing 250 miles of Tulsa one U-turn at a time and one totally crazy how did we do that?? entrance into the wrong lane of a four lane (ooops - pulled the grass out of the air dam this morning after blowing through the median at 40), I'm seriously considering a GPS. WTF!? We put red dots on a lot of our roads to let you know you are on the wrong side. Ah well, maybe a GPS.

Seeing a seven second Monte Carlo blow by you on the highway when you are going 80 and not really hearing it speaks volumes to the muffling capabilities of a turbocharger. A 509" blown Blazer, by comparison, is sorta.. ummm. loud. How much does Dynamat weigh?

Great thoughts, thank you!

A really huge thanks for all the guys and gals that made this happen! We had such a blast it's kind of hard to describe. I'm still chattering about how great everyone is. Seriously, thanks to all of you who get out there and do this! Bring something for the permagrin you wear pretty much the entire week. My face hurts from smiling.
              Last edited by Beagle; September 17, 2012, 02:35 AM.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I would agree with most of that list. However I packed to much stuff. I think next year I will either go the trailer route or I will just take less stuff. I think the only thing on my car hurting from this is the rear suspension. My cal-tracks no longer have pre-load on them and they did before the trip. There is also a noise back there like something is going to fall off.

I wouldn't mind something that made less noise but this isn't a luxury cruise as most know. I ran 3500-3800RPM all the way from memphis. At one point I reached down to turn the wal-mart boom box up(didn't get radio installed in time) and it was maxed out LOL.

I also think an oil cooler might be a good add on. I changed oil in shreveport just because and it looked OK no big deal. Well I get to tulsa and at the last checkpoint this thing sounded like a duramaxI(solid roller lifters). So friday morning I lash the valves and change the oil. The valves were fine as I only set two or three that were barely loose. I also did an oil change and that took care of all the noise....so oil cooler for me next year.
                1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

good stuff.
                  63 Plymouth DW 2011 Quickest Mopar 11.38@119 Daily Driver

Comment

The only thing more frightening than Larry blowing by you in his Nova at 80 on I-40 as you trundle along, barely awake, trying to stay in your own lane....
                    is Casey blowing by you in his 38 foot motor home, and 24 foot trailer at 80 on I-40 as you trundle along, barely awake, trying to stay in your own lane on the way back to Phoenix!!

To John's comment, NEVER assume a guy with the nickname "Slimbo" is gonna be smaller than you!! That Grand Prix was hauling the mail, and hauling some serious human cargo...

I would have talked to Beagle more if he had introduced himself, but I just thought he was some random homeless guy who happened to show up at the event.

Comment

^^^^^ lol ^^^^^

The world famous Durango can't hang with them on the highway!
                      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Never change Pushrods without factoring the transfered load problems. I broke more junk than at any time before.

Good meeting all you guys, wish I could have taken more time out to watch your cars, but mine was busy spanking my ass and saying who's your Daddy.
                        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Yes to the oil cooler - very good point - and I've never really been a fan of any oil additive - but Lucas is starting to gain my respect.
                          Matt's 400 got fresh cam lifters and a new valve job on the old and little tired shortblock - no surprise it burns a little oil. The Lucas really did help seal up the rings and quiet the valve train when cold.

Of Course - a conversation with MoparBilly and I'm considering a whiff of nitrous for the falcon since the 302 compression isn't where I want it - but it does have forged pistons - but I also have an old Eaton 90 blower from a super coupe... with megasquirt?

Dragweek is horrible for throwing your mind into a flurry of possible build combinations.

Any updates from Sean and Tara Fling? I know they weren't too far from home when the wagon lost an engine - just not sure if they are going to put in another Mark8 32 valve or go in a different direction...

Comment

Should of let your pushrods keep pretending they are springs, lol!
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Jeff - next time just go for 1/2" pushrods and perhaps titanium or unobtanium rockers - maybe they will put up with your camshaft profiles measured in hours and feet instead of degrees and inches!

Comment

Working...
                              X