X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squirrel
    replied
    Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot View Post
    How did they get in the seat? Not too many passengers want to climb around/over a crossbar (especially passengers wearing skirts).
    You just duck under the bar, and in you go. My sons have been doing it since 1997, they're all adults now.

Leave a comment:

• Bamfster
    replied
    How did they get in the seat? Not too many passengers want to climb around/over a crossbar (especially passengers wearing skirts).
    Heck TSB and Racingcritters rode in mine to dinner when they stopped in Denver.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    My take:

Top half (or so) of DD ---> guys expecting to make it into the final bracket race and bring a car capable of running quick enough to do so. They brought a gun to a gun fight.

Bottom half of DD ---> guys who are just along for the fun and adventure and get to make some passes at awesome tracks they might not ever have the chance to otherwise. They brought a knife (or in some cases, a Durango) to a gun fight and know it.

My conclusion: If you're coming and want a shot, better bring a gun, because no matter how big your knife is.... well, I think we have all seen Raider's of the Lost Ark....... lol

Just start the last day earlier!!!!

Leave a comment:

• 38P
    replied
    Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
    I say its not kids Soccer not everyone will go home with a Jacket.
    That's similar to what I wrote in the other thread on this subject:

Drag Week shouldn't be T-ball, but when virtually half the paying field is competing for 1/16th of the rewards, perhaps some new (additional) class divisions are in order
    Of course, those who put together and race competitive single-digit e.t. class cars will always be among a discrete and insular group because of the great expense, time and skill involved. Some class winners have more invested in their engines than the average DD competitors have in their whole cars

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Originally posted by BBR View Post
    Hot Rod can do whatever, but if they try to cram too much into the last day, THEY WILL FAIL.
    I'm not sure if they hear you BBR - you mean... take care of business and then run your exhibition stuff? Is that what you mean? Like START EARLIER or something? I'm not sure I get what you mean...

Agreed - TCOB. I already thought the last day for DD was set in concrete at the end of day 4, quick 32 run. I thought that was a good plan - I think I misunderstood how that was supposed to come down? Allow everyone a run after the race is finished is awesome, I love that idea, but I was pretty damn frustrated on Saturday knowing it was gonna rain. I can only imagine what the guys who were playing the Bracket Race game were feeling since that is not the same game as the class cars play.
    Last edited by Beagle; September 21, 2012, 11:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JeffMcKC
    replied
    I say its not kids Soccer not everyone will go home with a Jacket.

For those who want to have the best shot the heads up class is it. Bring all you got, and hope you brought enough.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Hot Rod can do whatever, but if they try to cram too much into the last day, THEY WILL FAIL.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    any humans over 4'10" don't fit well in my back seat, from the factory. Anything under 4'10" can crawl under the seat belt bar anyway.

If that girl in the towel wanted in your back seat, I'm pretty sure you could probably figure out how to get her in there. haha.
    Last edited by Beagle; September 21, 2012, 10:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 38P
    replied
    Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    I hauled some of the guys around on DW last year in my back seat, I have a 10.00 roll bar

I guess if you have a mustang, it's a different story

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    Anyone who still wants to use their race car's back seat for passengers in DD likely cannot be certified for less than 11.50 because of NHRA's current roll bar specs
    I hauled some of the guys around on DW last year in my back seat, I have a 10.00 roll bar

I guess if you have a mustang, it's a different story

Leave a comment:

• 38P
    replied
    I don't want to be repetitive of some of my earlier posts. But when nearly half of the DW field is chasing 1/16th of the awards (excluding all of the fastest brand awards), there's room for some class divisions. And the current Quick 32 format -- while the only real side-by-side racing at DW -- does not provide much opportunity for cars running outside of the low twelves to earn anything.

11.50 is a natural break because of the safety regs. Anyone who still wants to use their race car's back seat for passengers in DD likely cannot be certified for less than 11.50 because of NHRA's current roll bar specs (which I strongly disagree with).

9.99/135 m.p.h. is the next natural break based on safety requirements.

Thus, it makes some sense to divide the DD class at 11.50. Whether it should be an index race or a bracket race for the 11.50-9.99 cars is debatable.

If HRM only wants to run one race, then I return to the suggestion to seed the top 16 based on DW e.t. average and hold a two-round eliminator for the next 16 spots in the bracket. That would give 80 cars a theoretical shot to win the class. (64 in the two-round elim and the quick 16 on time) It would also maintain some incentive for the fast cars to run hard in qualifying to earn the two-round bye and power-protect seeding (e.g. 1 versus 32, 2 versus 31).

Leave a comment:

• 1badmonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
    I'd agree with the conclusion here, we don't need more classes and some guys should move out of DD into the classified cars. But there is a story underlying the seemingly slow times in a lot of the classes which is driven by two things: how competitive they are once the week begins, and every year there are new classes it takes awhile for people to get their heads around the rules and where their car might fit.

Once the week is under way everyone can quickly access where they are in their selected class and if they aren't in the mix for 1st, 2nd or 3rd they have to focus on finishing period. For those lucky enough to have a good podium shot and have a big time gap to the next competitor, they also need to focus on finishing and less on performance and optimizing their times.

Unless you are in a dog fight you become a one and done to reduce the chance of breakage. In our case it was two and done because I had a personal goal of averaging in the nines for the event. Stupid from a finish the event standpoint, but I was confident in the car. The net is the times will be slower as many of the podium finishers will take what they can get and move on. On the last two days we do the math so we can limp out a pass just good enough to get the win. Attrition does the rest when you arrive thinking you need to run personal bests, balls out and stuff breaks.

That said, on reflection, I'd like to to see a 32 car (16 if there are too few) 10.50 Index as a tweener between the DW classes and the DD bracket race. But I'd let anyone from the event run it who doesn't have a podium finish in the DW Classes or DD and I'd seed them on a Sportsman ladder based on the five day average. Faster than a 10.50 avg. gets a 10.50, #1 vs #16, #2 vs. #17 etc. Just my $.02.

like a gambler type deal.... I like it!!

Leave a comment:

• CDMBill
    replied
    Originally posted by MoparBilly View Post
    Bob,
    Enjoyed watching you trailer the 2 time winner in the first round Saturday.

I think the faster cars in DD need to move into the various classes already established. Pro Street N/A had a 10.81 average for the third place plaque. Mod PA's 3rd place plaque went unclaimed. Mod NA I was 2nd with a 11.44, while 3rd was a no-bar car with a 11.71 average. SST BB NA was won with a 12.01, and 2nd and 3rd went unclaimed. SST SB Na was 11.08 for 3rd, SR BB PA was 12.22 for 3rd, and my daughter averaged 11.96 in DD with a car that would have fit into that class.

I think it's hard to ask for more classes when, even with 187 cars, we can't fill the ones we have.
    I'd agree with the conclusion here, we don't need more classes and some guys should move out of DD into the classified cars. But there is a story underlying the seemingly slow times in a lot of the classes which is driven by two things: how competitive they are once the week begins, and every year there are new classes it takes awhile for people to get their heads around the rules and where their car might fit.

Once the week is under way everyone can quickly access where they are in their selected class and if they aren't in the mix for 1st, 2nd or 3rd they have to focus on finishing period. For those lucky enough to have a good podium shot and have a big time gap to the next competitor, they also need to focus on finishing and less on performance and optimizing their times.

Unless you are in a dog fight you become a one and done to reduce the chance of breakage. In our case it was two and done because I had a personal goal of averaging in the nines for the event. Stupid from a finish the event standpoint, but I was confident in the car. The net is the times will be slower as many of the podium finishers will take what they can get and move on. On the last two days we do the math so we can limp out a pass just good enough to get the win. Attrition does the rest when you arrive thinking you need to run personal bests, balls out and stuff breaks.

That said, on reflection, I'd like to to see a 32 car (16 if there are too few) 10.50 Index as a tweener between the DW classes and the DD bracket race. But I'd let anyone from the event run it who doesn't have a podium finish in the DW Classes or DD and I'd seed them on a Sportsman ladder based on the five day average. Faster than a 10.50 avg. gets a 10.50, #1 vs #16, #2 vs. #17 etc. Just my $.02.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    just start the last day earlier!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• moparman63
    replied
    this is another area with lots of ideas,and nothing is gonna be good for everyone.df did say that next years top 3 would be the most consistant,instead of quickest.the simplest impeovement to me,is a 64 car field.only obe more round of racing and very few guys left out.less than 80 got back to tulsa.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X