Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADD ONE INDEX CLASS....to Drag Week.............thats all

One index class: (maybe 9.99 or ?)

Class for Cars and Drivers that just dont have a chance in the Classes, and dont want to go to DD.

8/16 car field on last day Heads Up Drag Racing for win.
    No stopping in pits, back to staging to Hot Lap. No electroni

Food for Thought
    Bob
    Last edited by 1956NY150; September 21, 2012, 05:54 AM.

Bob,
    Enjoyed watching you trailer the 2 time winner in the first round Saturday.

I think the faster cars in DD need to move into the various classes already established. Pro Street N/A had a 10.81 average for the third place plaque. Mod PA's 3rd place plaque went unclaimed. Mod NA I was 2nd with a 11.44, while 3rd was a no-bar car with a 11.71 average. SST BB NA was won with a 12.01, and 2nd and 3rd went unclaimed. SST SB Na was 11.08 for 3rd, SR BB PA was 12.22 for 3rd, and my daughter averaged 11.96 in DD with a car that would have fit into that class.

I think it's hard to ask for more classes when, even with 187 cars, we can't fill the ones we have.

Comment

Just how many cars do you think can run a 9.99?

Can I run 2 Classes, after running three 9.99s and a 10.12 sounds like a fun Class for one of us.........

You would be better off with a 10.0 because of all the money to get the Certs needed to run a 9.99 or over 135
      Last edited by JeffMcKC; September 21, 2012, 06:58 AM.
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by MoparBilly View Post
        Bob,

I think the faster cars in DD need to move into the various classes already established. Pro Street N/A had a 10.81 average for the third place plaque. Mod PA's 3rd place plaque went unclaimed. Mod NA I was 2nd with a 11.44, while 3rd was a no-bar car with a 11.71 average. SST BB NA was won with a 12.01, and 2nd and 3rd went unclaimed. SST SB Na was 11.08 for 3rd, SR BB PA was 12.22 for 3rd, and my daughter averaged 11.96 in DD with a car that would have fit into that class.

I think it's hard to ask for more classes when, even with 187 cars, we can't fill the ones we have.
        I would agree Bob and some of the others should join in the heads up Classes and if he can run a 9.99 for sure!
        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

we ask if we culd put the old pickup up into a different class with less cars.df said no.if it wasnt bigger than 431 it could not run a big block class.and of course the ss and mod classes are same way.something has to put you there.you cant just go there....only in unlimited.
          63 Plymouth DW 2011 Quickest Mopar 11.38@119 Daily Driver

Comment

I agree about the faster DD cars moving up. I wished I had moved up and I will next year(hopefully be faster). I figured my only chance any kind of award was to do good in the bracket race. I f'ing redlit all day saturday including first round LOL.
            1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
            1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

How 'bout doing away totally w/DD and the bracket race?.... DD would then run off indexes. 11:00 to 18:00, heads up, protree. Can't qualify more than 2 tenths under your index ....
              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
                How 'bout doing away totally w/DD and the bracket race?.... DD would then run off indexes. 11:00 to 18:00, heads up, protree. Can't qualify more than 2 tenths under your index ....
                to messy IMO.

slow DD to 11.50
                1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Looking from the outside in, the DD class this year looked fine. Good number of cars, times where they should be for a good bracket race, no one seemed to be sandbagging at the 10.80 mark. It's just the damn rain that has been screwing with the class for two years now.

And yeah it was fun watching that 56 do the job in the first round
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

this is another area with lots of ideas,and nothing is gonna be good for everyone.df did say that next years top 3 would be the most consistant,instead of quickest.the simplest impeovement to me,is a 64 car field.only obe more round of racing and very few guys left out.less than 80 got back to tulsa.
                    63 Plymouth DW 2011 Quickest Mopar 11.38@119 Daily Driver

Comment

just start the last day earlier!!!!!
                      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by MoparBilly View Post
                        Bob,

I'd agree with the conclusion here, we don't need more classes and some guys should move out of DD into the classified cars. But there is a story underlying the seemingly slow times in a lot of the classes which is driven by two things: how competitive they are once the week begins, and every year there are new classes it takes awhile for people to get their heads around the rules and where their car might fit.

Once the week is under way everyone can quickly access where they are in their selected class and if they aren't in the mix for 1st, 2nd or 3rd they have to focus on finishing period. For those lucky enough to have a good podium shot and have a big time gap to the next competitor, they also need to focus on finishing and less on performance and optimizing their times.

Unless you are in a dog fight you become a one and done to reduce the chance of breakage. In our case it was two and done because I had a personal goal of averaging in the nines for the event. Stupid from a finish the event standpoint, but I was confident in the car. The net is the times will be slower as many of the podium finishers will take what they can get and move on. On the last two days we do the math so we can limp out a pass just good enough to get the win. Attrition does the rest when you arrive thinking you need to run personal bests, balls out and stuff breaks.

That said, on reflection, I'd like to to see a 32 car (16 if there are too few) 10.50 Index as a tweener between the DW classes and the DD bracket race. But I'd let anyone from the event run it who doesn't have a podium finish in the DW Classes or DD and I'd seed them on a Sportsman ladder based on the five day average. Faster than a 10.50 avg. gets a 10.50, #1 vs #16, #2 vs. #17 etc. Just my $.02.
                        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                          I'd agree with the conclusion here, we don't need more classes and some guys should move out of DD into the classified cars. But there is a story underlying the seemingly slow times in a lot of the classes which is driven by two things: how competitive they are once the week begins, and every year there are new classes it takes awhile for people to get their heads around the rules and where their car might fit.

Once the week is under way everyone can quickly access where they are in their selected class and if they aren't in the mix for 1st, 2nd or 3rd they have to focus on finishing period. For those lucky enough to have a good podium shot and have a big time gap to the next competitor, they also need to focus on finishing and less on performance and optimizing their times.

Unless you are in a dog fight you become a one and done to reduce the chance of breakage. In our case it was two and done because I had a personal goal of averaging in the nines for the event. Stupid from a finish the event standpoint, but I was confident in the car. The net is the times will be slower as many of the podium finishers will take what they can get and move on. On the last two days we do the math so we can limp out a pass just good enough to get the win. Attrition does the rest when you arrive thinking you need to run personal bests, balls out and stuff breaks.

That said, on reflection, I'd like to to see a 32 car (16 if there are too few) 10.50 Index as a tweener between the DW classes and the DD bracket race. But I'd let anyone from the event run it who doesn't have a podium finish in the DW Classes or DD and I'd seed them on a Sportsman ladder based on the five day average. Faster than a 10.50 avg. gets a 10.50, #1 vs #16, #2 vs. #17 etc. Just my $.02.

like a gambler type deal.... I like it!!
                          Charles

Comment

I don't want to be repetitive of some of my earlier posts. But when nearly half of the DW field is chasing 1/16th of the awards (excluding all of the fastest brand awards), there's room for some class divisions. And the current Quick 32 format -- while the only real side-by-side racing at DW -- does not provide much opportunity for cars running outside of the low twelves to earn anything.

11.50 is a natural break because of the safety regs. Anyone who still wants to use their race car's back seat for passengers in DD likely cannot be certified for less than 11.50 because of NHRA's current roll bar specs (which I strongly disagree with).

9.99/135 m.p.h. is the next natural break based on safety requirements.

Thus, it makes some sense to divide the DD class at 11.50. Whether it should be an index race or a bracket race for the 11.50-9.99 cars is debatable.

If HRM only wants to run one race, then I return to the suggestion to seed the top 16 based on DW e.t. average and hold a two-round eliminator for the next 16 spots in the bracket. That would give 80 cars a theoretical shot to win the class. (64 in the two-round elim and the quick 16 on time) It would also maintain some incentive for the fast cars to run hard in qualifying to earn the two-round bye and power-protect seeding (e.g. 1 versus 32, 2 versus 31).

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot View Post
                              Anyone who still wants to use their race car's back seat for passengers in DD likely cannot be certified for less than 11.50 because of NHRA's current roll bar specs
                              I hauled some of the guys around on DW last year in my back seat, I have a 10.00 roll bar

I guess if you have a mustang, it's a different story
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X