cubic inch limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cubic inch limits

want to know if a 389 pontiac would fit in the small block class. want to run street race sb na next year with a 66 lemans.

You should be OK with a Poncho 389 assuming it remains below 430ci.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

thanks for the info. wanted to go this year but with the purchase of a new home with more and bigger garage and the distance to get to the first stop ended that idea. my money tree ran out.

Comment

MIne did too, still went so now its just a sappling
        Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
        Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
        Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
        Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

two months witout rain this summer. mine up and died.

Comment

Brian I believe they look at it as a de-stroked Big Block because of the heads available to it. Brain Rocks was Grandfathered in. Same as the FE engines. When I built mine I wanted to de stroke a BBC and run in the small block class, David said that was a no go, its more than the cubic inches in the engine. I would re-ask if there is a question on it.
            Last edited by JeffMcKC; October 4, 2012, 05:31 PM.
            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Brain Rocks?LOL. I didnt know BRIAN was grandfathered in.Yep, like Jeff said probly should ask for sure.

Comment

This is the was it was I may have changed.

Small-Block Naturally Aspirated, Small-Block Power-Adder, Big-Block Naturally Aspirated, and Big-Block Power-Adder. Naturally Aspirated classes may not use power-adders of any kind. Power-Adder classes may use nitrous, superchargers, turbochargers, propane injection, or any combination thereof. Small-Block classes are 430ci and below. Big-Block classes are 431ci and above, including Mopar Hemis, big-block Chevys, big-block Fords, or FE Fords of any displacement. Winners’ engines may be pumped to verify displacement.

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/dragweek/2011/...#ixzz1kU0oU2FK

Read more: http://forums.hotrod.com/70/9012343/...#ixzz28Ql17Cwa

Comment

looks pretty clear, small pontiacs are small blocks, big pontiacs are big blocks.

Which makes sense. It's a relatively small engine, which started life as a 287 in 1955
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Mine will be a 40 over 389 with a stock stroke crank and pontiac heads. The block, crank, and heads are all original 1966 pontiac. Guess the best thing to do is email DF and see what he says. thanks for all the info. Hope to meet some of you in 2013.

Comment

Yes - confirm.

Carl's black and orange 55 that registered in DD but considered swapping to class racing - ran a 427 BBC,
                      less that 430, but a "big block" so what class does it fit in?

ANY FE Ford is a "big block" ?
                      they came from the factory as 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, and 428

ANY "wide valve cover chevy" is a "big block" ?
                      396, 402, 427

So a pontiac 400 - which shares heads with a 455, is a big block too?

this does get confusing
                      Last edited by milner351; October 5, 2012, 07:54 AM.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                        Yes - confirm.

Carl's black and orange 55 that registered in DD but considered swapping to class racing - ran a 427 BBC,
                        less that 430, but a "big block" so what class does it fit in?

ANY FE Ford is a "big block" ?
                        they came from the factory as 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, and 428

Yes

ANY "wide valve cover chevy" is a "big block" ?
                        396, 402, 427

Yes

So a pontiac 400 - which shares heads with a 455, is a big block too?

No, depends on actual displacement based on our reading of the rules and the last time it was addressed by DF (see Brian Rock rule Jeff mentions above).

this does get confusing
                        Yes it does.
                        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Bill.

I know pumping takes time - but it seems that's really the only fair way to handle it.

I don't think it's fair to put a 396 chevy, 390 Ford, 389 or 400 pontiac, etc in with 500+ cubic inch power plants.... but I don't make the rules.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I would love to have built a BIG BORE, short stroke BBC for the class at 430 CID
                            Last edited by JeffMcKC; October 5, 2012, 08:52 AM.

Comment

I would love to have built a BIG BORE, short stroke BBC for the class at 430 CID
                              Jeff, why do you think it would be faster than your SBC combo? The BBC even under the small inch rules would be at a weight disadvantage. With the ability to run aftermarket heads the weight would be more of a factory than the bore/stroke/big head combination. Yes, No?
                              -Bobby-

Comment

Working...
                              X