No announcement yet.

just curious(pump gas guys)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I learned how to make pretty good power on pump gas, how to build carbs for it, tune it, and get surprisingly good mileage (25) on it out of 7.5L of iron headed Pontiac grunting out 500ftlbs and 400hp. Sure it isnt like Bill making 1000hp, but then again the budget was much smaller. While learning all of that I was against ethanol too, because I believed all the negative stuff said about it. I thought it was simply the same as methanol but made with corn instead of wood. Then I looked into making it, and what it could do. To me that was a good running pump gas engine built on a budget with iron heads. Static was about 8.8:1, so it wasnt bleeding edge, but it would run on 87 easily and still make good power. While in Nebraska it was fed E10 exclusively, because it was the cheapest there. It made more power on E10 than on 87 or 92 also, and mileage was about the same around town.

At the same time I had the GTO running that 455 on pump gas, I had my Formula with a 455 running race gas with 11.3:1 static. At that point ethanol wasnt really available in E85, and methanol required too much stuff to run it. I knew about methanol from my RC planes, cars, and boats, so I knew what I needed to change and it want happening. There is no way a 455 with those heads and that compression is going to run on pump gas, it will flatten the upper rod bearings in about an hour.

The limit with these engines depends on altitude and cam timing as much as it does on chamber shape. Some heads are better than others as far as chamber shape goes. The heads I ran in the Formula are closed chamber 670 castings from a 1967 428, the heads on the GTO now are open chamber 1969 vintage 48 castings that have been milled to 65cc. Those two heads would have very different octane requirements. The 670 heads needed 52 degrees total to make the best power, I havent gotten that far with the 48 heads, but the low compression 5C heads on the old engine only needed 38 total to make best power.

I switched to ethanol because I can make the stuff easy and dirt cheap. It doesnt wear out my engines. It lets me run silly compression ratios that wont run pump gas so I can use all these small chamber big valve heads from the 60s that everyone is giving away now due to the price of race gas. It makes ludicrous power and is damn easy to tune compared to gas, hell you can get it close and it runs great, too rich and it just makes more power.

Drag Week didnt happen for me this year for two reasons, 1 money, and 2 health. My car was ready to go, but I knew I couldnt afford it. I would have taken the pump gas 700hp 467 in the Formula, with some highway gears stuffed under it, which would have been good for low tens to high nines on 92 octane. I built that engine in 04-05 when I decided not to run race gas anymore, then gas went to $4.65 a gallon and I got serious about ethanol. Its the last low compression engine I am going to build. With ethanol you just build it, tune it, and race it, you dont have to worry about if it will ping, knock, flatten stuff or rattle itself to death. The learning curve is only steep if you are modifying carbs that nobody else has done before.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot View Post
      Maybe this is just gross ignorance talking but:

1. Why mess with E85 if there's M100 or M98 at every DW track?
      This is pretty easy actually. Methanol requires stainless lines, tank, and an after run lube, ethanol does not. Methanol also requires more fuel to reach stoich than ethanol, as ethanol is between gasoline and methanol for AFR, and its closer to gas than methanol. It takes roughly twice as much fuel to run methanol as it does gas, but with enough compression you make up for it in power that the gas just cant deal with.

So you can run ethanol in your car as it is with either an EFI tune or a different carb. Methanol requires everything to be upgraded in the fuel system, and you need larger everything as well.

Originally posted by Lilracr View Post
      But you do lose mileage with E85 thus making the price per mile driven more expensive.

-Bobby-
      Sure in a low compression engine, but we are talking about racing not 8:1 smog motors. You pick up mileage with more compression, and power as well. How much I have yet to quantify, it hasnt been a good year for me health wise.

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
      I don't think the difference in BTU/lb. can be made up from an MPG perspective but the inhernet advantages for racing are clear. The map switch idea Doc ran for 2012 seems best to me.

I'm also wondering how long the E85 subsidy will continue given the drought and the pressure on feed grain prices etc. The redirection of corn and other crops to E85 becomes harder to justify if fodd prices and rlated staples get too high because we are chasing the "sustainable" fuels myth.
      The BTU argument is a red herring. BTU is only a measure how how much fuel it takes to heat one pound of water one degree. There are many other factors involved in a liquid fuel ICE than BTU, unless you want to heat water. Ethanol's thermal efficiency is on par with diesel, and can be higher, whereas gasoline loses 80% of those BTUs to the coolant system. Yes you can make up the difference in mileage with compression, the break even point with no other changes including operating and inlet temp is about 13:1, but with LOTS more power. It isnt a bad fuel, it is actually quite a bit better than gasoline, specially in a performance engine like yours.

The VEETC blenders credit that everyone complained about is gone, and has been since Jan 1. Ethanol is still quite a bit cheaper than gas is, even with the supposed bad year for corn. I have heard most places have done ok, but others just chopped it up for silage, which is where most of it goes anyway.

Originally posted by MR P-BODY View Post
      So I guess you dont consider E-85 as pump gas... LOL.... I run the E-85
      in my race car but I built the Rampage as a regular gas engine, only due
      to where it an be bought in the US during DW.... also being that it burns
      30% more fuel I didnt want to have a really big fuel tank(I did build a 18 gal
      tank)... E-85 does have its problems, such as absorbing moisture but if you
      drive on it and keep it moving its not a problem... having it sit for weeks at a
      time does create corrosion issues due to the water
      If you are using 30% more then you are still running too rich or way too cold.

Bore scoped the GTO fuel tank this summer, it has had E85 sitting in it since 2007, and some home brew. There is no corrosion, no rust, no varnish, nothing but some yeast pee and hydrocarbons in there. It isnt full, because it has rarely had more than 10 gallons in it. I have driven it sparingly because I havent had plates and insurance on it. So in essence it has sat for the last 5 years with ethanol in the tank, through rain storms, high humidity, blizzards, and being covered with 6' of snow.

It would take three gallons of water in ten gallons of ethanol to even start to cause a problem with natural aluminum. I suppose if you used it to put boats in a lake you could get that much in there.

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
      California Air Resources Board (CARB) as they want to push our gas to E15 with no warning labels. It's already over $5 bucks here and now they want to gives worse mileage and put older cars at risk.

Support SEMA!
      I do support SEMA, but as yet I have not seen any problems with E30 in engines running stock Qjets that have been rebuilt sometime in the last 20 years. 15% wont hurt a damn thing in an old car, unless Pontiac just made better fuel systems in 1970 than anyone else did.

Comment

• Just to clarify I'm talking about engines that have to run on gas when E85 or similar isn't available, and therefore pump premium or whatever the owner/driver is comfortable putting the tank for driving down the road. Short of that 13:1 I think E85 comes up short for fuel economy in our DW driving scenario. Is it the better race fuel, yes as far as I can tell from listening to those who have run it, but universal best choice? Maybe not.
        Last edited by CDMBill; October 22, 2012, 10:00 AM.
        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• If you are using 30% more then you are still running too rich or way too cold.
          [/QUOTE]

Are you racing with E-85... if so what temp are you launching at.... I could
          be to low on temp... I try to get it up to 170-180(and is a bitch to keep it
          up there in the lanes)

Comment

• I take mine to 160* and have no problem getting it there, if you do I would think the engine is running fat still.
            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

• Originally posted by lun40119 View Post
              It's all about the dismount!!!
              not to take this into the gutter, but is that why I hear this comment when I'm out in the park? It's usually from the trailer with the Camaro parked on three wheels and a cinder block...

"Get off me daddy, you're smushin my cigarettes!"
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
                I take mine to 160* and have no problem getting it there, if you do I would think the engine is running fat still.
                I have no problem with 160*... I launch at 170*... but if I'm leaving
                power on the table due to too low of temp, I will up that

Comment

• Mine has always run best pulling out of lanes at 140* and staged at around 150-160*. I see pretty linear drop off in ET and MPH with higher coolant temps. Never having run E85 I don't know if that fuel wants higher inlet air temps or manifold temps due to different latent heat of vaporization points.

Obviously every car/engine combination has its own sweet spot.
                  Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• I dont tune this way but others due they stage at 160 to 170 and watch the log to gain 20 * on the pass.
                    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
                    X