just curious(pump gas guys)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just curious(pump gas guys)

how many of yall share my definition of "pump gas motor"?

to me that means it runs on pump gas,all the time,race or cruise.it doesnt need timing pulled out or anything else.it is built to perform its best on premium unleaded or less.i see some of uall with pump gas in your car info,and hear it said alot.i just wondered if some of the faster cars were doing anything difrent.my machinist is havin a hard time believin some of the claims i see on net and in mags.
    63 Plymouth DW 2011 Quickest Mopar 11.38@119 Daily Driver

I "can" race mine on pump gas..........but it makes more power with something else.
    Team Clueless
    1st Place SB/NA DW12
    2nd Place SB/NA DW11
    sigpic

Comment

mine doesnt it makes more with 90 than with 110.

Comment

Mine is built to run on our wonderful California 91 pump premium which is scary as it contains some alcohol and other special ingredients not used anywhere else in the US which is supposedly why we've hit $5.40 a gallon this week. I used straight pump gas from Shell mostly on Drag Week this year as I didn't find my favorite Chevron very often. I do use a bit of 100 unleaded in the mix when Im doing more serious tuning just to be safe. At DW I didn't try to push the envelope.

The engine is 11.86:1 and has a very efficient chamber as we made identical best power with 26* or 28*. So I kept it at 26* for DW. Cam is 279/286 @ .050 on a 113 LSA. Piston has a very slight conical dish and a .300 circular quench pad. It seems we could have squeezed it a little more believe it or not.

Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Piston looks heavy Bill........

Team Clueless
          1st Place SB/NA DW12
          2nd Place SB/NA DW11
          sigpic

Comment

I guess that depends on your definition of "pump gas". I buy E85 at the local gas station and it is more tolerant to cylinder nonsense than E05 or E00 (if you can really find ethanol free pump gas). Midwest fuel stations are thick with ethanol blends whether advertised or not. A few fools on the web claim to race on 87-91 octane fuel but seem to blow up or melt down a lot of parts. (CDMBill excluded)
            Last edited by whichdoctor; October 11, 2012, 10:56 AM.
            HOTROD Dragweek Pro Street N/A winner 2007,2011, 2012/ 2nd, 2009
            HOTROD Dragweek quickest and fastest naturally aspirated car in any class 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012
            FIRST IN THE EIGHTS Legal Pro Street N/A HOTROD Drag Week 2012

Comment

Originally posted by lun40119 View Post
              I "can" race mine on pump gas..........but it makes more power with something else.
              Yeah when the nitrous line is hooked up!

I ran out of "race" 93 octane a couple weeks ago at the track so I started mixing generator 87 in with 93 to make sure I had enough, would still run dead on with the 87 mix.

That is like calling your car a street car but trailering it to the track, street cars should run on street gas, now the E85 guys have a huge advantage!
              -Bobby-

Comment

ya.e85 is another world...basicly non existant here.

mine is 11.1:1,very efficient chambered..246/254@ .050 112 lsa.i run 36* timing and have tried well above and below that.hell when i had the nitrous on it,i sprayed 150hp through it.same timing,same 90 octane.but now i say i want to go a second faster they say im dreamin.lol

Comment

I have not tried to run it hard on pump but did drive it with 87 all the way to Dallas, it shows no ill effects as I have the engine apart now.

its 12.4-1 278/286 @.050 on a 110lsa flat top piston and indy heads that flow 360cfm with a good combustion chamber. Tuning problems killed performance this trip though hehe. Will fix it and would be great if it would run on pump at the track too.
                  Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
                  Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
                  Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
                  Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Lilracr View Post
                    Yeah when the nitrous line is hooked up!

I ran out of "race" 93 octane a couple weeks ago at the track so I started mixing generator 87 in with 93 to make sure I had enough, would still run dead on with the 87 mix.

That is like calling your car a street car but trailering it to the track, street cars should run on street gas, now the E85 guys have a huge advantage!
                    I am not trying to be disrespectful or anything. But this is a load of crap.

I bracket race every weekend, and trailer it 5 miles to the track. I have an enclosed deal that just makes things more convienient. It is a place to get out of the weather, hangout, sleep, and keep tools and stuff. Could I drive it......sure. But why?

Anyone that has seen my car, will agree.....it's about as street car as they come. It definately gets better gas mileage than half the crap you see at car shows. Just my .02.
                    Last edited by lun40119; October 11, 2012, 11:21 AM.
                    Team Clueless
                    1st Place SB/NA DW12
                    2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                    sigpic

Comment

Dont confuse not with wont. Mopar guy I see its in your base combination as a issue. You might list the rest of your motor and whole set up if you want. Docs could run on less than E-85 also but why? Its cheaper than the other pump gasses are!
                      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

im not wanting this to go there jake.or lilracr...i dont doubt anything that makes it through drag week.i just wanted to make sure i didnt want something that noone else was doing.

Comment

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Haha, I think Jeff has a big one

Camshaft that is...
                              Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
                              Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
                              Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
                              Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

Working...
                              X