"Dash structure" clarification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dash structure" clarification?

Hi guys! No newbie thread here (like on YB), so I'll jump right in...

I'm planning on running DW13, and am building a 2nd gen Camaro to run in Street Race. Anyway.. the rules state "must use OE dash structure". To me, that would mean the understructure that the dash PAD attaches to (see pics)

I would consider this to be the structure, not the dash pad. Reason I ask is it would make cage construction a ton easier using a 'glass dash pad.

What do you think?
    DW2013 - DNF (Gateway - trans failure)
    DW2014 - SR BB/PA class winner!
    DW2015 - Finished in 1 piece (for once!)
    DW2016 - Still "Fox Free" ;)

To me it means it should be a stock dash.

If all you need is the braces it could be carbon fiber mounted to the factory brackets, not sure that is what they are looking for.
    -Bobby-

Comment

WELCOME!

I'm leaning toward conservative interpretation of the rules as well.

"street" race is the name of the class..... I would think they want to see a stock dash in every way.

Not sure if PMing Turk will get you a timely response, or emailing [email protected] would do much better, but if you "go all out" you need to be prepared to get knocked into a different class, like the sweet green 33 'glass bodied Ford that had to run unlimited.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

It's my thinking that yeah, they probably want a stock dash pad as well. I have no problem with that, but it's just easier to notch fiberglass than a stock type dash for the forward bars :D
        It's not my intention to build an all-out race car (I have one already), but a fast street car. 2nd gen Camaros are not exactly light in the first place, but I refuse to build "another Fox-body". ;)

I had already sent an email to the address you referred to... still waiting to hear back from them.
        Last edited by AdvAutoBob; October 18, 2012, 10:47 AM.

Comment

[QUOTEbut I refuse to build "another Fox-body". ;)
          ][/QUOTE]

You should check out the Fox body thread.

As much as I agree with you on the forward bars I think your are going to have to get creative getting them in there.
          -Bobby-

Comment

I suspect a replacement pad would probably fly, but I think they are after more or less stock appearnace as well as not allowing aggressive weight reduction. Aftermarket replacement guage set-ups would also be fine IMO.

I don't know second gen Camaro's, ok any of them, but if there are other stamp sheet metal parts that compose the dash structure I'd assume they must be retained.

All this is just my opinion as a particpant and observer of the classes since the beginning. The new rules as of 2012 have significantly tighened up Street Race and the new Super Street Race significantly.
            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

The Class is about being "Stock Body" I dont think they want a butched up aluminul dash wih three switches in it showing up, so if its "Not stock" as in plastic, glass, aluminum I dont think it will fly.

Remember "Its not the rule, its not the intent of the rule, its the Spirit, of the intent of the rule."
              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Seen enough "aluminum race dashes" to last me a lifetime (you see a lot of butchered stuff owning a speed shop)... Judging by the responses thus far, I'm thinking to just going with a factory dash pad and creatively bending the forward bars to clear it. I've seen a lot of "functional" cages (read: crude), and I want the bars to fit as close to the A-pillars and not be seen as much as I can. That, and it's easier to get in and out with a wider opening.
                Better to err on the conservative side of things as previously stated..

Now my inner fender dilemma, on the other hand... LOL

Comment

Why not just run the bars where you want them, and notch the factory dash to fit around the bars? Best of both worlds.

Even a hacked factory dash would look better than a aluminum "race dash", at least to me. In the Spirit of the intent of the Rules, of course.
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

During the build of my new DK car for 2013 I will use the stock dash pad, structure, and outer plastic. My car will by cert to 8:50 also, my front bars will pass thru the dash. I have seen many cars cut the dash pads and then weld a cover plate to the bars to hide the cut out area. This way the dash pad slides right in. I did talk to DF about interior rules. Must use stockish door and quarter panel covers, NO aluminum panels. Head liner not required but carpet is. If the rear seat is removed that area must be carpeted. These rules are for street race classes, not sure about the other classes. And yes it is a fox platform.
                    Tom
                    Last edited by TomV8; October 18, 2012, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TomV8 View Post
                      During the build of my new DK car for 2013 I will use the stock dash pad, structure, and outer plastic. My car will by cert to 8:50 also, my front bars will pass thru the dash. I have seen many cars cut the dash pads and then weld a cover plate to the bars to hide the cut out area. This way the dash pad slides right in. I did talk to DF about interior rules. Must use stockish door and quarter panel covers, NO aluminum panels. Head liner not required but carpet is. If the rear seat is removed that area must be carpeted. These rules are for street race classes, not sure about the other classes. And yes it is a fox platform.
                      Tom
                      Street Race rules lock out a bunch of street cars...

I have no problems with a fiberlass dash and what about covered aluminum panels for the street? Hell, I'd bet you can put fabric around a swiss cheesed aluminum frame and be lighter than aluminum panels.

DF is always on about how hard core he is when accepting "flaws" in a daily driver but it doesn't show in the Street Race rules... my first vision of a Street Race car (Black 55 in TLBT) wouldn't fit in Street Race. Would I put a fiberglass front end on Monicas car and drive it to work? Yes. It would get better gas mileage.

I know - his deal, his rules. Just seems really restrictive.
                      Last edited by Beagle; October 19, 2012, 02:16 AM.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

ya beagle,the rules for each separate class all lock out a bunch of street cars.thats because every single one IS a legit street car.they are just built to each owner's liking,and run in whatever class fits the build.i guess my point is,build what YOU want.then enjoy it,wherever df puts it.lol
                        63 Plymouth DW 2011 Quickest Mopar 11.38@119 Daily Driver

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          Street Race rules lock out a bunch of street cars...

I have no problems with a fiberlass dash and what about covered aluminum panels for the street? Hell, I'd bet you can put fabric around a swiss cheesed aluminum frame and be lighter than aluminum panels.

DF is always on about how hard core he is when accepting "flaws" in a daily driver but it doesn't show in the Street Race rules... my first vision of a Street Race car (Black 55 in TLBT) wouldn't fit in Street Race. Would I put a fiberglass front end on Monicas car and drive it to work? Yes. It would get better gas mileage.

I know - his deal, his rules. Just seems really restrictive.
                          Your not locked out by any means at all, you just cant run the class you want too. There is Unlimited
                          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Read the rules, find the gray areas, then exploit them! I think that's what Jeff told me, but I'm not certain, so I won't present it as a direct quote.

My Car has ladder bars/ stock front end. So 5 classes are available. DD, Mod N/A & PA, Pro Street N/A & PA.

So, In order to maximize my chances of finding the "Soft" one of the 4 heads up deals, I have a plate N20 System...this easily allows you to choose between NA or PA. Then PRO Street doesn't allow Drag Radials. So I came on Bias ET streets, and had some big slicks in the truck if no one showed up in Pro Street.

If I had a "Street Race" class car, I'd bring an extra decklid with an aluminum wing so I could jump to "Super Street Race" if I wanted to. Just examples of being pro-active with the rules, instead of being reactive.

Comment

Damn clever.
                              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                              X