Can't afford another "wrong purchase"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't afford another "wrong purchase"

Needing some advice from guys running 4000+ stall converters on DW. I contacted TCI about a converter for the old truck. Gave them all the specs and they recommended their Ultimate Street 10" with a stall of 4-5k. (naturally it is one of their higher priced units) I drive my truck daily and plan to continue that practice. Am I totally crazy (afraid to ask that) and/or am I asking for more trouble than I can handle. I do plan on doubling up on the coolers (front mount). Is there anything else I need to watch for?
    What will the "street manners" be for a converter this size?
    Thanks for the input. And I'm even wanting advice from the dark side (BBR).
    Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

My car has a generic 4000 converter (ACC) and it's not a prob running around town on the street at all.

If I were planning to buy a new one, I would skip the shelf converters like TCI and go straight to a converter that is built to work with my specific combo.
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Before you buy - talk to protorque converters out of NY - had very good luck with them over the years.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

And/ or call COAN Racing 765-456-3957 Kokomo ind. And/or The Converter Shop, Arizona 928-453-4020.
        First place SSBBNA 2014 and 2015
        Second place SSBBNA 2016
        Third place SSBBNA 2017
        Quickest ET in DD and Quickest Pontiac 2008, 2016 and 2017
        All 13 years of Drag Week in a Black 1969 Pontiac with Pontiac Power

Comment

I get mine from Edge converters in Simi Valley, CA. A lot of converter for the money. It isn't a shelf converter, best of everything and therfore $900 tuned axactly to my combination, 5700 stall, but also with particular stator ratios and blade angles.

I think the big question is whether efficiency and even gas mileage is any sort of priority. The higher stall is a picnic to drive on the street as with low throttle settings it'l just ooze from stop light to stop light. The true stall speed only occurs at peak torque and if the stall selected is for that situation at the drags you'll never see it on the street driving with tiny, slow throttle openings. Wack it and the tires will spin as they'll be cold and dirty.

I think one big, high quality cooler will be more than enough, and leave room for a fan if you need more cooling effect when moving slowly after generating some heat under load. Deep sump pans with fins do make a big difference as well due to increased capacity and the cooling effect of the pan when the truck is moving.
          Last edited by CDMBill; October 29, 2012, 10:01 AM.
          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I have been to the EDGE and have talked to Andree
            First place SSBBNA 2014 and 2015
            Second place SSBBNA 2016
            Third place SSBBNA 2017
            Quickest ET in DD and Quickest Pontiac 2008, 2016 and 2017
            All 13 years of Drag Week in a Black 1969 Pontiac with Pontiac Power

Comment

PTC!!! I put in a PTC just before DW and I am really pleased. It works flawless on the track and on the trip to Tulsa, yes I drove it, I averaged almost 17 MPG!

Comment

That low of a stall should not be a issue, I would just run a radiator with a cooler made in it maybe a outside cooler being the B&M with a fan made on it if you had a issue but you should drive it first to see if its needed. Trans coolers just block or heat up the radiator behind it.
                2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

freakshow performance is in texas and here good things about them im not running one. i think i will try out his rebuilding have a art carr billet that ptc and vortec try to fix the lockup on both fail to fix it
                  Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
                  Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

I second John's suggestion of PTC. They will talk to you for a while before they suggest a converter. And they will make you satisfied. They are great guys- they own hot rods and race themselves.
                    Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

PTC is the best, they take the time to custom build almost every thing they sell, and doesn't cost any extra. 256.383.6868 ask for Tim Owens one of my best friends and one hell of a great racer. Below is a picture I sent him last year on the drive from Topeka to great bend (101') with my 8" spragless b and m super cooler (biggest on they make) and every one else says spragless run hot.
                      Attached Files

Comment

i feel your pain,i took the 3500 coan out and put their 4500 in..slowed my car down...called them they said put the 3500 back in..so now i have a 4500 with around 20 passes on it...pretty pricy paper wait...

Comment

trans temp gauge
                          Drag week 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17,18
                          Power Tour 97,98,99,00,02,04,05
                          Street Machine Nats 79,80,81,82,83,84,85,86,87,88,89,90,91,92,93

Comment

I'm learning a lot. I found out I need to get a dyno pull on the engine to do this right, so I will be starting there. A lot of changes since the old days. We thought drilling a flex plate and running a vega converter was cutting edge. Temp gauge is on my list and I will hold off on the coolers till I get it together and see how much cooler I'll need.
                            I'm just trying to think long term here and get the right parts the first time.

Great info, Thanks.
                            Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

trans cooler with fan then no worries

Comment

Working...
                              X