Alternator up grade!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator up grade!!!!

I am up grading my alternator system didn't have enough amps to run everything with the nitrous and all during dragweek. Just checking to see what some of you run and on a one wire if you run down to the starter post or all the way back to the battery its self. I am thinking of running a good 140 amp!

I ran mine back to the battery, so if the kill switch on the back of the car is turned off, it will shut the car off. Not seeing how the shut off switch would work if ran to the starter.
    my .02.
    Last edited by nesabo; February 8, 2013, 08:51 AM.
    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

How big is your current alt... I run a 85A on both my race car and my street/strip
      car... I'm not a fan of the single wire alt because I dont like to have to replace a
      complete alt if the regulator goes out... but thats me... do you have a master kill
      switch in back since you say your battery is in back... I ran my alt output wire to
      the rear and attached it on the battery side of the master switch so it will kill the
      engine when you flip the master.... depending on your current alt size you could
      be loosing a lot in your wiring

Comment

I run a 100A Powermaster. Keeps up well with fan, fuel pump,etc.. while cruzing through towns and at idle..
        Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
        Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
        Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
        Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

I recently went to an old externally regulated alternator, with a 1960s vintage regulator. I let the fan belt do the work of turning the fan and water pump, and the blower belt makes the boost, etc. So I don't need much current.

On a car like yours with lots of electric loads, you might want to run the alternator output and battery connection to a positive bus that the main power fuses for the relays all connect to, and keep the wires as short as you can. The shorter the wire in each circuit, the less voltage drop you'll have, as well as save money buying wire, reduce weight, etc.
          Last edited by squirrel; February 8, 2013, 09:22 AM.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I run a GM CS130 alternator. Its a 3 wire setup IIRC but it works great. It charges at 14.2 volts at an 1100RPM idle with a 5" crank pulley with electric fan, water pump, fuel pump, and all the lights.
            1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
            1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

the ford G3 is a nice alt. around 140amps will keep power up even at idle with fans & pump's
              Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
              Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

I also run a 100 amp one wire PowerMaster and it drives electric water pump, fan, trans cooler fan, fuel pump, msd ignition, and phone charger

As Mr P-Body stated on his, my feed wire goes from the alternator back to the battery side of the master switch to shut the car down when it gets flipped. the switch not the car...well I guess worst case scenario...
                Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

My current alt is a 65 amp that worked good with smaller nos set up with one fuel pump.Then i put on a bigger system so I added another pump and nos wouldn"t come on until about 300 feet out when it built up enough rpm's and amps. I talked to monty smith and he said not enough amps and I agree. Just got car done night before dragweek so I never got a chance to try it out.Just an oversight on my part.I was just kinda wondering what some of you all run.

Comment

Originally posted by Orange72 View Post
                    My current alt is a 65 amp that worked good with smaller nos set up with one fuel pump.Then i put on a bigger system so I added another pump and nos wouldn"t come on until about 300 feet out when it built up enough rpm's and amps. I talked to monty smith and he said not enough amps and I agree. Just got car done night before dragweek so I never got a chance to try it out.Just an oversight on my part.I was just kinda wondering what some of you all run.
                    the n.o.s. solenoid are very pressure sensitive anything over 1150 they dont open on low amps... alot of the big shot solenoid the candy blue one's are trouble

Comment

Originally posted by Orange72 View Post
                      Depending on your line drop going to the battery that 65A might not be enough... I did some
                      testing on my car and with all the junk on I still get 14.6V at the battery... but I have everything
                      on relays and I use the new style head lights which dont draw much at all... I was running the
                      fuel pump, fan, ele water pump, msd, and the lights when tested... and that was about 1500 rpm..
                      take a volt reading at your battery then start the car then read it at idle then at about 1500 rpm...
                      just to see if you have issues(you could still have issues with a larger alt if you have bad voltage drop

Comment

i was using the ford 61 amp alt. and it would not keep up when i cruise at street cruises and the fan was on. the fan is a dodge viper fan and it pulls 40amps it would take my batt. out in about a hour of idling.. didnt known there was a problem till the dream cruise had to step up to a G3 140

Comment

There is a tiny HP penalty for running a bigger than absolutely necessary alternator. And, with the right exciter circuit you can keep everything running well and cool at low RPM without pulling too much load on the accessory drive.
                          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

All this talk about fans, fuel pumps, nitrous solenoids, lights..... But what about stereo amps! Does anyone care about a kicking stereo to cruise with? And I thought you guys had street cars! ;)

I need to upgrade my alternator also, no fans, fuel pumps, just factory lights and GM ignition and with the stereo cranking you can watch the volt meter dance!
                            Last edited by Lilracr; February 11, 2013, 11:08 AM.
                            -Bobby-

Comment

Originally posted by Lilracr View Post
                              All this talk about fans, fuel pumps, nitrous solenoids, lights..... But what about stereo amps! Does anyone care about a kicking stereo to cruise with? And I thought you guys had street cars! ;)
                              We do, the engine is our sound system!

Comment

Working...
                              X