Crankcase Ventilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankcase Ventilation

New problem. I am getting condensation collecting in my valve covers. I did not plumb in a pcv valve and would rather not have one. I drive the truck almost every day, but it does not have time to get very warm. Some of the drivers are less than 2 miles. Not sure if a header evacuation system will work on the street. The problem just shows up during cold weather, but I don't really want the truck to be a "fair weather" ride only. Any ideas?
    Last edited by greenXpress; February 10, 2013, 05:33 PM.
    Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Why no on the PCV valve?
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
      Why no on the PCV valve?
      That'd be my question too.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I would never want to introduce hot crankcase air to the intake ever again... jus add breathers.

Comment

Are you using synthetic oil they pick up moisture if not run up to temp
          Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
          Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

Originally posted by quick 52 View Post
            Are you using synthetic oil they pick up moisture if not run up to temp
            I have two 3" X 4" can type breathers that have a shield half way around. I do not really want to run crankcase air back through the intake. I run 15-40 Rotella in everything I have. Not the synthetic type.
            Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

I'd rather run the yucky crankcase air into the intake, then leave it in the crankcase where it will really screw things up.
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                I'd rather run the yucky crankcase air into the intake, then leave it in the crankcase where it will really screw things up.
                Are you guys running pcv valves? I guess that is what I should have asked. And do you have a daily driver?

Comment

I've always run one, plumbed into the back of the carb base. No moisture in the crankcase, no icky oil mist on the covers .... no problems what-so-ever.
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I run them on all my cars, including the Skylark.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Lets look at how a PCV works and you decide what you want. Ok a PCV system works off of engine vac. and at idle with high vac.and no load or under low rpm load the cylinder pressure is low and so is the blow bye. So when you don,t have blow bye it works , at full throttle under full load with high blow bye when the engine has little vac. when you need breather the PCV does not work. It will evacuate the crankcase when the engine has high vac. as it comes back to low load and low blow bye. In your case with short trips it will help . But it does mess with carb tuning because you have a Vac leak. GM does make a electric Vac. pump. I have used them and work very well. Good luck

Comment

Cool, Dave Storlien in the BS House. There is a bit of bright line between street setups which should have a PCV system with the associated tuning and oil contamination issues and more serious race motors on the street e.g. Drag Week engines where tuning is a bit on the edge as pump gas meets higher than conventionally acceptable static compression ratios and therefore requiremtight control over AFR at all operating conditions. My solution is a Peterson external oil pump with two scavenge stages that create around 5" of crankcase vacuum at cruise rpm's and loads and they exhale through two Jazz breather tanks.

I use a Star Machine adjustable vacuum break to limit crankcase vacuum to 12" max under WOT to avoid drying out the wristpins. The crankcase vacuum allows me to run a slightly narrower ring package with highly effective sealing and oil control.

PCV's cicuits are tunable by using different spec OEM valves and paying attention to the line size and fitting sizes so that you get exactly what you want for crankcase/valvecover effective pressure without excessive combustion chamber contamination.
                        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

A header e-vac can work on the street BUT there are a couple of things to keep in mind...
                          first is the fact that it will only pull about 5"hg... but thats at revs... next is the exhaust
                          back pressure... if the exhaust has greater than 5"hg of back pressure it will start backing
                          up the pressure to the point that it burns out the check valve and starts to pressurize the
                          crank case.... even if you dont have 5"hg of back pressure you will get very little help from
                          the e-vac due to the lack of flow going across the tube(in the collector)... they tend to work
                          fine when its a WOT... myself I would either set up a GM elec vac system or use the PCV or
                          both and run the elec one at the track and use the PCV on the road.... but you really need
                          to warm that engine up .... way longer than 2 miles(with all the condensation you build up
                          in the entire engine and exhaust you are killing it without even knowing it)
                          EDIT
                          Also.. for every inch of back pressure you decrease the vac that the e-vac
                          will pull.... max vac is 5" so if you have 3" of back pressure you only have
                          2"hg of vac
                          Last edited by MR P-BODY; February 10, 2013, 09:44 PM.

Comment

I ran a header evac, vac-u-pan set up years ago with a Dodge truck breather with a welded on GM PCV and at a GM anti-backfire value on the tube at the collector which worked pretty well, but it needed a very free flowing down stream exhaust. That consisted of straight pipes to mufflers and turndowns at the axles. LOUD.
                            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by greenXpress View Post
                              Are you guys running pcv valves? I guess that is what I should have asked. And do you have a daily driver?
                              Now you're asking the right questions

I have what you might consider a daily driver....sort of....over 100k miles on the motor in a bit over 20 years. Just a PCV valve on one side, and a crappy chrome breather on the other. But it's just a mild 700 hp blown big block
                              Last edited by squirrel; February 10, 2013, 10:22 PM.
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X