What gear ratios manual trans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greenXpress View Post
    With this in mind, 4.11 would be better than 3.73 as far as dependability?
    Don't mean to steel the thread, but I have both sitting on the shelf and am trying to decide on which one to go with. And gas mileage is shot anyway, and I seldom go over 70 on the road.
    I went with the 4.10 in my car(9") but I do have OD in the trans... I know most of the guys
    sacrifice some so its not a true drag car and its not real street friendly but if your heavier
    I would go with the 4.11.... in my race car I run a 4.56 in a 8 3/4 but the car is lite and I
    can get up on the tire quickly... I move the air pressure up or down a 1/4 to 1/2 psi so it
    doesnt dead hook.... also I might have to run 80mph on the Rampage to get into a better
    spot on the conv and torque range when on the E-way
    Last edited by MR P-BODY; April 5, 2013, 07:49 AM.

Comment

We can keep both topics going. Our speed limit here on Kauai is 50, so 4.30 wouldn't be bad. I may just have to bite the bullet on the freeway, or drive in the slow lane. I'm not sure where the cam smooths out also, which may be a consideration.

Comment

I am running a TKO 600 so 2.87 1st gear, 4:11 rear gears with 28" slicks. Best 60' so far is 1.56 60'. That is launching the car at 5600RPM, car weighs 3950lbs with me in it. ET was 11.17 @ 122mph. I also try to keep the tires just right so it turns them a couple of times. Because I run a dual disc with ceramics discs that don't slip. Not sure if that helps??
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by aukai View Post
          We can keep both topics going. Our speed limit here on Kauai is 50, so 4.30 wouldn't be bad. I may just have to bite the bullet on the freeway, or drive in the slow lane. I'm not sure where the cam smooths out also, which may be a consideration.
          It's not a race to the next stop, ( unless tequella waiting there, I hear)
          Cars drive at all speeds. I just settled in where things smoothed out and drove. A lot of stop and go's towns etc. So freeway times are few. Last year was an exception with the Memphis to Tulsa leg.

I've got time to try the 4:11's on the street. No overdrive, but do have 33" AT tires. It is a truck afterall.

And guidos, love the goat. Did you make it into the show? (DW)
          Last edited by greenXpress; April 6, 2013, 04:54 AM.
          Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

Yup I am in, different motor, should run 10's. thanks! I am driving all the way, no Trailer, so I need the OD.
            Thanks for the compliment!!

Comment

I think I'm screwed with changing rear gears, a friend of mine ran the numbers and it seems that with my ratios now I'll be crossing in 4th gear just over peak power. I wasn't able to find a calculator to figure it out so I'll take his word for it. 30" tire, 4.11 rear gear, max power 68-7000, we set the trans up to run as a 4spd at the track.
              Last edited by aukai; April 7, 2013, 11:39 PM.

Comment

I would not sweat it, with Docs car we cross the line at 7300 with a 6800 stall in high gear, I don't even want to know what the slippage is. I know your a manual but getting all you need out of the other gears will work out.
                2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
                X