No announcement yet.

Solid Roller Guys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like my buddy Jeff says........"They all fail, just a matter of when"......than being said, I had success with GS Ultra Pro, and the Morels. I ran a .842 lifter. Alot is going to have to do with the weight of the components, and how pissed off the lobe is. Good Luck fella...
    Team Clueless
    1st Place SB/NA DW12
    2nd Place SB/NA DW11
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lun40119 View Post
      Like my buddy Jeff says........"They all fail, just a matter of when"......than being said, I had success with GS Ultra Pro, and the Morels. I ran a .842 lifter. Alot is going to have to do with the weight of the components, and how pissed off the lobe is. Good Luck fella...
      What kind of lift and spring pressure are you running that failed

Comment

My cam this year was the same as last year. Lift is .866/.848, spring pressure is 130 seat, 580ish open. First DW I ran a GS Ultra Pro, no issues.......second year, I had Morels in it. On the last day about 70 miles south of Tulsa number 7 intake lifter failed. 2 possible scenarios, not for sure which came first. Either it had a soft needle, or the hard surface on the cam failed. Ill be switching to a larger keyed Jesel lifter this year with a tool steel core.

Here is the valve trace of my intake lobe at 8000rpm.......so I know the valvetrain is under control, so I don't blame spring pressure, or lack of valvetrain control......the red line is the valve trace at speed, the dark line is the valve baseline. The line in the middle is the "delta".....it showes deflection/loft.
        Last edited by lun40119; April 21, 2013, 01:43 PM.
        Team Clueless
        1st Place SB/NA DW12
        2nd Place SB/NA DW11
        sigpic

Comment

My cam this year was the same as last year. Lift is .866/.848, spring pressure is 130 seat, 580ish open. First DW I ran a GS Ultra Pro, no issues.......second year, I had Morels in it. On the last day about 70 miles south of Tulsa number 7 intake lifter failed. 2 possible scenarios, not for sure which came first. Either it had a soft needle, or the hard surface on the cam failed. Ill be switching to a larger keyed Jesel lifter this year with a tool steel core.

Here is the valve trace of my intake lobe at 8000rpm.......so I know the valvetrain is under control, so I don't blame spring pressure, or lack of valvetrain control......the red line is the valve trace at speed, the dark line is the valve baseline. The line in the middle is the "delta".....it showes deflection/loft.
          WOW... I would have never thought you could control the
          valve with only 130# at seat and 580# on the nose... I have
          250# on seat and just over 600# at .640 lift and it might be
          on the lite side at 6500 rpm(it goes into a cycle like a valve float)

Comment

I hope it was the core, I have morels
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Morel is a great lifter Randall.....I am not much of a finger pointer.

Shit happens.....
              Team Clueless
              1st Place SB/NA DW12
              2nd Place SB/NA DW11
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MR P-BODY View Post
                WOW... I would have never thought you could control the
                valve with only 130# at seat and 580# on the nose... I have
                250# on seat and just over 600# at .640 lift and it might be
                on the lite side at 6500 rpm(it goes into a cycle like a valve float)
                Light parts.......

You are probably hearing valve bounce.
                Last edited by lun40119; April 22, 2013, 05:43 AM.
                Team Clueless
                1st Place SB/NA DW12
                2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                sigpic

Comment

Light parts.......

You are probably hearing valve bounce.
                  So I will assume you are running tit valves... I'm running
                  SS valves which are heavier but I'm still running way more
                  pressure than you... yes the dyno operator and myself thought
                  it was most likely a spring issue at 6500 rpm... we didnt try to
                  pull past it to see if it was a certain frequency ... I'm looking into
                  a different set of springs
                  I still find it amassing you run less spring pressures than even a hyd cam

Comment

Morel is a great lifter Randall.....I am not much of a finger pointer.

Shit happens.....
                    I know Plus my stuff shouldn't see the abuse of your stuff. Lofty 2100 cruising rpm, "only" ~6,000rpm shift points, etc.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by MR P-BODY View Post
                      So I will assume you are running tit valves... I'm running
                      SS valves which are heavier but I'm still running way more
                      pressure than you... yes the dyno operator and myself thought
                      it was most likely a spring issue at 6500 rpm... we didnt try to
                      pull past it to see if it was a certain frequency ... I'm looking into
                      a different set of springs
                      I still find it amassing you run less spring pressures than even a hyd cam
                      Yes I run Ti valves, retainers and locks, spring diameter is 1.400.

What you are hearing on the dyno is probably valve bounce, you can see it on this graph.....
                      Last edited by lun40119; April 22, 2013, 07:46 AM.
                      Team Clueless
                      1st Place SB/NA DW12
                      2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah I see that you get about a .030 bounce hitting the seat and
                        some loft on the nose

Comment

Yep......loft isn't bad, as long as the system lands smoothly....it is all cause and effect....excessive deflection, equals excessive loft. In a perfect world, there would be no deflection.
                          Team Clueless
                          1st Place SB/NA DW12
                          2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                          sigpic

Comment

Yep......loft isn't bad, as long as the system lands smoothly....it is all cause and effect....excessive deflection, equals excessive loft. In a perfect world, there would be no deflection.
                            Yeah I hear ya on the lofting... I'm surprised you only get that 1 real bounce...
                            maybe I should look into ti valves to lighten up my junk.. but the last time I
                            bought ti valves they were $140 each(that was about a year ago)

Comment

That graph plotting bounce was my lobe with a different spring. My current combo shows no bounce to 9000rpm.
                              Team Clueless
                              1st Place SB/NA DW12
                              2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                              sigpic

Comment

Pbody, none of us have Jakes $ lol
                                Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
                                Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
                                Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
                                Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X