Solid Roller Guys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid Roller Guys...

Just curious, what oil are you running and how often do you change it on DW. How often do you change it when not on DW?
    -Jeff
    Street car with a 5 speed, 427ci SBF 9.86 at 136mph
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GKQ2xpZraU
    I survived Drag Week 2013

Redline Synthetic....everyday on DW. Everyother race weekend in the summer.
    Team Clueless
    1st Place SB/NA DW12
    2nd Place SB/NA DW11
    sigpic

Comment

Six qts of Valvoline 5W30 and one quart of Lucas oil stuff, I changed it twice on DW. It was always real noisy after the drive and I felt it was because it had killed the oil, as an oil change would make it sound right again. In reality I think the lash had just grown more than normal due to running for 4-5 hours, JeffMC talked about that some in another thread. I only had to make minor(as in just one or two rockers) lash adjustments but it sounded like a duramax at the end of each day especially after Memphis.
      1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
      1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

VR1 20/50 every day and cut the filter

Doc uses Brad Penn, same thing plus a Magnet on the filter
        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I feel like a slacker! Change it on Wed. and Fri. and run the valves those days also. It gets changed on Friday just because I plan on leaning on it.

Comment

Slacker? lol I didn't change mine all week...except for adding a qt here and there...and here...and here... and there. Oil temp is what made a big difference in how my valve train sounded. 10w40 dino oil. Checked the lash in the dry at Memphis under the hotel's drive-thru. It was fine. Didn't futz with it after that. Checked it after I got home. It was still fine.
            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Rotella, (whatja think a diesel mechanic would use?)

Am considering going with John Deere Plus 50 for drag week. Change every 1500 miles.
              Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

VR1 20/50, change on sat. after 1300 mile drive to the start of DW, then again on Fri. before last day and drive home to FL. also run valves at the same time and once during the week, although they really never change. Mine is one of the more mild solid rollers combos on DW though.

Jason
                2011 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.89 avg.
                2012 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.55 avg.
                all time best 10.27 @ 127

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Larson View Post
                  I feel like a slacker! Change it on Wed. and Fri. and run the valves those days also. It gets changed on Friday just because I plan on leaning on it.
                  Larry, how much spring pressure do you run and what size and make of lifter?

Comment

Larry, you running 3500 to 4000 RPM down the highway? LOL

What's the .200 Number on your camshaft?

We change ours to head problems off as quick as we can by inspecting filters (never seems to help) Oil and filters are cheap.

Comment

I change mine after 4,000 miles round trip, lol. But I'm running a hydraulic roller.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

What filter does everyone use ?

Comment

CARQUEST Wix Racing filter

Comment

Wix filter for me, and 20/50 syn. I changed mine before I left for DW and then on monday before hitting the road due to copilot accidently triggering micro switch for water/meth when he was adjusting progressive linkage for the road trip. He didnt know it till I heard the pump running and it filled the engine(hydrolocked). Then I changed it at Memphis when I blew head gasket.
                            Go ahead, pull my finger.

Comment

We change oil daily, and use Wix racing filters.

Gonna try Champion Oil heard alot of good things about it and they are a Drag Week sponsor.

Comment

Working...
                              X