What changes for the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What changes for the road

Several years ago when the Pump Gas Drags were going, I remember reading about some of the things the guys did to make the drive that they would change to go racing- things like changing rocker arms (ratios) and things like that to make their engines live. So what do you do? How about stating for the rest of the class what power adder you run (if any) and what you change to switch from street driving to race track.

I would go first, but I am still breaking in the new engine- have not had it on the track yet. The engine is a 489 nitrous engine that probably won't see the bottle this year. Planning on changing carb jetting and timing. Different tires between track and road.
    Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

When i went last time 2011 I dropped the pressure in the drag radials, and usually remembered to fill it up with 91 instead of 87.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      When i went last time 2011 I dropped the pressure in the drag radials, and usually remembered to fill it up with 91 instead of 87.
      x2, plus I emptied the trunk =P
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I swapped tires and emptied the trunk. If you have a wideband you should be able to work on your IFRs and air bleeds so don't have to rejet between the track and street. I am a total carb tuning amatuer and I averaged 13mpg and got damn near 15 on a few sections of I40. I was way happy with that because I budgeted for 10mpg lol.
        1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
        1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Originally Posted by squirrel

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
          x2, plus I emptied the trunk =P
          You and Jim really went overboard!

As I remember when the Pump Gas Drags were going that was just a drive from Comp Cams to Memphis Motorsport Park and your hoods were sealed, you just had to follow the route and not let the chase vehicle pass you or you were out.
          sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Yes the hoods where sealed but it did not keep people from cheating on it. Drag Week you can do what ever you want between tracks as long as its the same short block
            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
              Yes the hoods where sealed but it did not keep people from cheating on it. Drag Week you can do what ever you want between tracks as long as its the same short block
              Rumor has it that some crazy MOFO rebuilt their engine and stayed in competition to stay within the rules back in something like 2007 when we used to walk to school up hill both directions.
              HOTROD Dragweek Pro Street N/A winner 2007,2011, 2012/ 2nd, 2009
              HOTROD Dragweek quickest and fastest naturally aspirated car in any class 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012
              FIRST IN THE EIGHTS Legal Pro Street N/A HOTROD Drag Week 2012

Comment

Originally posted by whichdoctor View Post
                Rumor has it that some crazy MOFO rebuilt their engine and stayed in competition to stay within the rules back in something like 2007 when we used to walk to school up hill both directions.

I even heard that some "mom" helped with the rebuild that night/morning..
                Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
                Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
                Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
                Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

She was a hoot, what a loss when she passed.
                  2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                  First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                  2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                  2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

There have been some epic rebuilds, Carl Scott's, Doc's and Ev's come to mind and Todd's serial reconstruction last year.

When I had a three circuit dominator I used to pull the intermediate air bleeds out for the drive. I have also gone the trailer and for tire change plan for the last two years and will stay that way going forward. Memory's of the drive on drag radials in '06 and last years rain at night Memphis to Tulsa convinced me. I don't care if we looked like a bunch of hillbillies going down the road.

Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I didn't do much. At track: Change tires, remove air filter, unhook vacuum advance, pull evacs and put in regular vc breathers, head to the lanes.
                      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

When we ran the 55, we would swap tires and fuel from pump gas 91 to Q16(thats all we had and we were tuned for it) and knocked a little timing out for the street to 32-34 deg.

This was with a Big Shot Plate NOS 468 BBC 12.5 to 1 making close to 1050 hp running 8.91 154 for the week average.

Same thing with the 598 we now have, just have never made by day 2 without killing a roller lifter or worse.

Change your oil every day before you run.
                        Last edited by Rat Infested; May 17, 2013, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat Infested View Post
                          When we ran the 55, we would swap tires and fuel from pump gas 91 to Q16(thats all we had and we were tuned for it) and knocked a little timing out for the street to 32-34 deg.

This was with a Big Shot Plate NOS 468 BBC 12.5 to 1 making close to 1100 hp running 8.91 154 for the week average.

Same thing with the 598 we now have, just have never made by day 2 without killing a roller lifter or worse.

Change your oil every day before you run.
                          What heads did you run on the 468?
                          Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Lightly rubbed Brodix BB2's Ti Intakes, very plain motor. Out of the box Holley 1250 on Brodix cast intake. Ebay Ti valves, Manley .250 long rods and old but brand new Lunati pistons all for under $ 1000 bucks total, bought those parts on a cold winter weekend back in 2008. Motor had excellent high quality machining and was not thrown together, just some parts well bought.

Check out Doc Fox red lighting us starting at the 5:00min mark in this clip;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8EdrACyNAQ

That was with claped out rear shocks and no anti-roll bar in the rear.
                            Last edited by Rat Infested; May 16, 2013, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat Infested View Post
                              Lightly rubbed Brodix BB2's Ti Intakes, very plain motor. Out of the box Holley 1250 on Brodix cast intake. Ebay Ti valves, Manley .250 long rods and old but brand new Lunati pistons all for under $ 1000 bucks total, bought those parts on a cold winter weekend back in 2008. Motor had excellent high quality machining and was not thrown together, just some parts well bought.

Check out Doc Fox red lighting us starting at the 5:00min mark in this clip;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8EdrACyNAQ

That was with claped out rear shocks and no anti-roll bar in the rear.
                              Red light???? Now you tell me... I thought we were at pinks and you gave me two lengths!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              DocFox

Comment

Working...
                              X