fuel pumps, Filters and lines....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel pumps, Filters and lines....

As I wire the GTO, i realized that I need to re-plumb the fuel system too. In the past I just ran the old Holley Black with aluminum fuel lines and never had an issue. But now there are so many choices, plus I dont want any issues. So far Im digging the black braided hose and have no clue on what pump.
    so what pumps, filters and fuel lines are you using, which ones to stay away from, and what issues did you have.
    Oh yea, its a N/a 700hp, 4150 , sumped factory tank.
    Reading , Pa
    Good Guys rodders rep.
    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

The A1000 from Aeromotive is the most used and a lot of spares are carried in case you have a issue I use a -10 to the front and a -8 return and filters before and after the pump. Their web site has a very nice planner

Discover Aeromotive’s superior fuel systems, where cutting-edge aerospace engineering meets automotive passion. Explore our range of high-performance fuel pumps, filters, and regulators, designed for reliability and efficiency at any speed, any angle, or any condition.
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

For my build, I'm using a Magnafuel Quickstar 300 for the engine itself (-12 from cell to pump, -8 return, -10 from pump to regulator), and a Holley Black pump for the nitrous system (-8 from cell to pump, -6 from pump to regulator)

IMO, you can't have "too much" fuel system...
      DW2013 - DNF (Gateway - trans failure)
      DW2014 - SR BB/PA class winner!
      DW2015 - Finished in 1 piece (for once!)
      DW2016 - Still "Fox Free" ;)

Comment

Aeromotive A-1000 with their filters as Jeff said I have #10 feed line and #10 return. Clean the 100 micron Stainless filter and change the 10 micron filter once a year. Great products.

Comment

Thanks Jeff, any reccomendations on regulators and lbraided line .
          Reading , Pa
          Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

I like Teflon but its heavy, I would recommend the correct regulator for a A1000 it has one listed its what I use, when I ran a carb I am a fan of the by pass reg instead of the dead head

Comment

Last edited by JeffMcKC; May 17, 2013, 07:33 AM.

Comment

thanks everbody!
                Reading , Pa
                Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

We run the new Holley dominator pump. It is two pumps in one. If one side fails flip a switch and keep going. It beats changing a pump on a roadside.
                  Drag Week 2009 winner BB/NA
                  Drag Week 2010 second BB/NA
                  Drag week 2011 Winner Modified/NA
                  Drag week 2012 Winner SS BB/NA

Comment

I have two pumps on the car, a 255L for driving and then the big pump for racing. Watching 1320 videos of the event it seems many people have trouble with the fuel system. Aeromotive has pump set up tech on their website and I would recomnend following their instructions.

Comment

Just installed the holley dominator dual pump. Holley filters. -10 Ptfe feed and return from TechAFX. It is black wraped and carbon lined.
                      Not cheap but should never need to mess with it again.

Tim
                      86 Mustang
                      454 LSX FTI ls3 Mast 4500 Holley EFI 8" with C4, FTI Hyd Roller 9.24 143.5 1.33 3.73 5.84 116.21

Comment

I have a split fuel system. For driving down the road, a Mallory pump and cheap filters before and after the pump handle the gas. That is a return type system that uses an inexpensive Quick Fuel return style regulator. For race I have a second fuel cell with a Quick Fuel 175 pump with Holley filters (as mentioned previously, pretty and pretty expensive) before and after for the carb and a Holley Black pump with Holley fuel filters before and after and Quick Fuel and Holley regulators in line for the nitrous. All is plumbed using AN fittings and stainless braided hose.
                        Last edited by Orange65; May 19, 2013, 05:19 AM.
                        Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

I've ran several brands(Aeromotive, magnaflow, Weldon etc..) and sizes..but one thing I had to do to make them live was to add a fuel cooler and fan to the return line. I still had to do it even after installing a fuel controller(PWM).
                          I haven't had a failure since I added the fuel/fan cooler!

Note: the best location for one is usually behind the rear seat in front of the rear axle..

Comment

We found running a larger return line eliminated a lot of our street driving issues.
                            Drag Week 2009 winner BB/NA
                            Drag Week 2010 second BB/NA
                            Drag week 2011 Winner Modified/NA
                            Drag week 2012 Winner SS BB/NA

Comment

We try to keep the cell with as much fuel as possible in it and I have seen dirty filters take out more pumps than anything else, melting fuse holders from to many amps on big pumps trying to push past a dirty filter

Comment

Working...
                              X