Using spool on the street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using spool on the street

I went to the track last night to make a few passes in my 94 camaro to work the bugs out before DW.It's a 6 speed car with moser 12 bolt rear.It's best pass was a 7.10 1/8 mile track.Long story short it blew the spider gears out of the posi on my 5th pass and don't need this happening on DW,I leave the line at 5500-6000 rpm's depending on how well it's hooking and don't think a clutch posi is ever gonna hold up.So I am thinking of spooling the rear and was wondering how it will act on the street.

78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

Yup - you broke it!

A spool on the street - especially in the rain could get a little wonky - but if you run street tires that do not have very good traction - you can get away with it. I welded the diff in Seth's chevelle and he put thousands of street miles on it with regular radial tires in all sorts of weather.

If you plan on running drag radials or similar full time at DW - I'd be concerned - if you're going to run an all season radial on the street - I think you can pull it off.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Gonna be on 27x11.50-15 hoosier quick time pro's all week.If spool is bad idea what posi will hold up?The posi unit had 40 total passes on it before it gave up.
      78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

Comment

Detroit Locker
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I had about 7 years on an eaton posi before i grenaded the case after a couple of 9 second passes on spray. I went with a spool because its afforable, and the only think i know for certain would live. I dont have a ton of miles on the street with it, but i will say, it takes some getting used to. To get the car to rotate around corners, the best bet is to leave the car in gear and use light throttle to help the car steer thru it. If you just kick the clutch in and try to make a turn, it takes much more effort, the car wants to go straight all the time. Ive also only driven the car on slicks or MT 275 pro radials, so im guessing it doesnt help the cause. I plan on putting some sort of regular radial on the car for DW2013.

You could also look into this as an option, they are very expensive tho, and i havent seen many guys using them, but the design seems stout.

-Jeff
          Street car with a 5 speed, 427ci SBF 9.86 at 136mph
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GKQ2xpZraU
          I survived Drag Week 2013

Comment

Maybe I'm just lucky but I've ran a spool on the street for years (9" Ford) and that's usually with 15" slicks or I switch to 14" wide M/T streets for long drives. I replaced the Ring & Pinion this Winter but that was because of noise & wear.
            Last edited by Grumpy; May 24, 2013, 08:35 AM.
            sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

ran a spool on the streets in my s10 it does get some time to get used to but not as bad as people make it out... Detroit locker are pretty stout ...
              Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
              Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

I have had a spool in my Chevelle since forever. I don't even realize it is in there anymore.

Only way to roll...Just my .02.
                Team Clueless
                1st Place SB/NA DW12
                2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                sigpic

Comment

I'm going spool.Just ordered a moser spool from summit.Thanks for all the opinions guys.

Comment

Stock 8.8 trac-lok in mine. Then again, my car is slow. ;)
                    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I put the spool and 35 spline axles in my Camaro in 1981 and they have been there since. I have been on 6 Dragweeks in a row and have only hurt the ring and pinion. I have run dot Hoosiers and MT drag radials in all weather conditions. If you drive like a sane person in bad weather you will be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad's Dad View Post
                        If you drive like a sane person in bad weather you will be ok.
                        So is Chad adopted?

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                          Stock 8.8 trac-lok in mine. Then again, my car is slow. ;)
                          ha.. my truck is even slower.. and it has a "swap meet" whole 9" center section with a stock LS... $75..

I did run it through the parts washer before install tho!!
                          Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
                          Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
                          Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
                          Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

This is the first posi unit i've ever exploded.I've broke axles before and I thought thats what it was till I pulled the cover.This stick car is hard on parts,think I need to go to an auto with a brake.

Comment

I have a Detroit Locker in my 9" rear from quick performance(98 Trans am). I dont really care for the noise and clunkyness of it. Yes, it will withstand a pounding. But if you drive on the street the "popping" noise from the locker(in turns) gets old quick.
                              If I had to do it again I would have got a spool...
                              http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...0101507a-1.jpgI'd rather attempt to do something great and fail than to attempt to do nothing and succeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X