Why I won't be at DW 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I won't be at DW 2013

At the Pomona NMCA event two weeks ago I had two easy qualifiying passes at 9.94 and 9.91. Then we did the 30 mile drive and parked in staging for two hours wiating for our three consecutive shots in the True Street class. On the first pass the car got soft at mid track but I drove through the lights and at the turn out it died, not normal. I restarted it and it sonded like seven cylinders, I picked up 10.25 time slip and just made it to my pit space.

A quick valve cover inspection showed a broken #7 valve spring and an a stuck stuck stump of a valve stem underneath the rocker. The keeprs and retainer were intact on top of the remants of the valve spring. The lash cap was down in the oil channel in the head.

I finally got it fully out of the car and pulled apart today and found #7 with the valve head shoved up in the pocket, and evidence of shrapnel bits in all the other seven cylinders, mostly imbedded in the quench area of the head and the piston. Other bits had been dragged up and down the walls of the other cylinders and #7 had some nice dings from the valve head before it landed in its final resting place.

I found another lash cap and the tip of the hollow stem Ti Valve from #2 in the oil return channel of the other head. So I'm not certain if the spring on #7 failed first or if the valve tips separated creating valve to piston interference. While the springs had tested good on the head three weeks ago before my last pre-Pomona event, it could beI waited too long to change springs with the new faster lobe cam. Or there could be a valve stem issue.

Either way the block may well be shot as it was at its last over bore at 4.560" and it would appear to need at least six sleeves which doesn't make sense to me. There are at least five killed pistons and I'll see next week if the rods and mains are good. The cam and lifters look great amazingly but either way this is a major rebuild so as I'm #91 on the waiting list I'm going to pull my name and focus on 2014 with the new car and return the convertible to more street and road course/auto-x/fun mode.

Best luck to everybody at DW 2013!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CDMBill; June 2, 2013, 10:01 PM.
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Ouch! sorry to see that Bill....bummer
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Damn Bill, that sucks!
      1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
      1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

That sucks Bill, however your car is not meant to sit around. Sometimes you break your toys when you play with them.
        Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by nesabo View Post
          That sucks Bill, however your car is not meant to sit around. Sometimes you break your toys when you play with them.
          Better now than between memphis and bowling green or something.
          1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
          1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Will miss seeing that straw hat fly down the track. I guess the little kitties will be on their own this year. I might have Cameron throw a pet carrier in the truck.
            Get busy, 2014 is right around the corner.
            Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

Put a junkyard block back in and run daily driver. At least you'll be there.

Comment

Sorry to hear Bill
                2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

As for anyone when that happens, naturally it sucks. Going to miss ya Bill. Sorry for the kaboom
                  First place SSBBNA 2014 and 2015
                  Second place SSBBNA 2016
                  Third place SSBBNA 2017
                  Quickest ET in DD and Quickest Pontiac 2008, 2016 and 2017
                  All 13 years of Drag Week in a Black 1969 Pontiac with Pontiac Power

Comment

Not cool......very sorry to hear Bill.
                    Team Clueless
                    1st Place SB/NA DW12
                    2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                    sigpic

Comment

Bummer... is that a BB ford.... get another block and fix the head...
                      hows the cam.... you could be back together in a month...if the
                      funds allow it

Comment

That stinks! But Bill, we cannot afford to lose any Fords at DW, so get to work!!!

Comment

That sucks, man... and it's not like BBF parts grow on trees.
                          DW2013 - DNF (Gateway - trans failure)
                          DW2014 - SR BB/PA class winner!
                          DW2015 - Finished in 1 piece (for once!)
                          DW2016 - Still "Fox Free" ;)

Comment

ow ow ow ow

Sorry to see that Bill. It sucks to break stuff, but we all know it is a possibility each time we make a pass.

Can't wait to see what you come up with as a replacement!
                            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that Bill. I know what it feels like to blow your junk up. You have time to fix it.
                              Go ahead, pull my finger.

Comment

Working...
                              X