Class rules - Super Street v. Street race and steel parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lun40119 View Post
    I worry about Street Race....it is only a matter of time before an engine like mine gets mated with a fox body or some other light turd and the class will get killed. Muscle cars will be come obsolete from the class. Crow and I were just discussing this in one of our morning email sessions at work, and both share similar views. It's only a matter of time before the class runs away. Mustangs are fast, and definitely make great drag chassis, but lets be honest. I've been to Georgia to watch the radial tire race. You can only watch so many fox bodies go down track before it gets boring.

That being said.......I propose that there should be a minimum weight for the Street Race class. Keep the cut up, super light junk in the Super Street class.....and keep the cars that are for the most part unmolested in Street race. Give the muscle car era a fighting chance....

Ok, rant over. Flame on.......
    You'll get no argument from me... when I set out on my build, everybody around said "put your BBC into a Fox body, it's cheaper in the long run, it'll go faster, etc. etc." and my response was a resounding "NO". While I'm giving up a significant weight advantage by building a 2nd gen Camaro (a big bumper, no less!), I'm sick and tired of Fox body Mustangs... and I even owned one at one point!
    DW2013 - DNF (Gateway - trans failure)
    DW2014 - SR BB/PA class winner!
    DW2015 - Finished in 1 piece (for once!)
    DW2016 - Still "Fox Free" ;)

Comment

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I agree about the future fox bodies booting the muscle cars out. I like seeing the muscle cars race myself over the mustangs. If I wasnt entrenched in gasser, I'd be preparing my 69 nova ss factory bbc to play.
      Go ahead, pull my finger.

Comment

Originally posted by poison gas View Post
        I don't have a dog in this fight, but I agree about the future fox bodies booting the muscle cars out. I like seeing the muscle cars race myself over the mustangs. If I wasnt entrenched in gasser, I'd be preparing my 69 nova ss factory bbc to play.
        Its either weight limit or 35,000 dollar N/A small blocks...jusayin.
        Last edited by lun40119; June 13, 2013, 06:36 AM.
        Team Clueless
        1st Place SB/NA DW12
        2nd Place SB/NA DW11
        sigpic

Comment

I'm gonna have to go ahead and call bullshit on this or the class would be full of Chevettes already.

Wouldn't a properly setup VW be able to walk into this class and destroy it already for pretty cheap? I'm pretty sure I've heard as much from McJeff

I'm not just saying this because I have four Fox bodies and an SN95. They're not THAT light. They can be MADE light but they don't necessarily start out that way.

One of the cleanest cars at 2012 was a Fox, and it hauled ass. I could watch it haul ass run after run, no problem. It pained me to hear the jeep powered Gremlin on nitrous, I prayed silently on each run that it didn't litter the track with crank parts. Cool car and all, but how many 15 second runs on spray can you take?

The Maverick I could watch all day long, but if I cried over it's demise too. I do give it the most creative rain cover award, second to the Malibu.

I'd bet the Mav weighs a lot less than my 3100 pound notch.
          Last edited by Beagle; June 13, 2013, 06:52 AM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Well bring your fox.....as long as it hits the minimum weight then who cares.......if it is a gutted cut up piece of shit.......put it with the race cars. Where it belongs.

I know it will happen sooner or later........I've got a plan...

Bring something light.............I DARE YOU!!!
            Team Clueless
            1st Place SB/NA DW12
            2nd Place SB/NA DW11
            sigpic

Comment

James (BBR) should get a spirit of Drag Week jacket - his fox isn't that light, has a full interior, was built with more thoughtfulness than money, hauls the mail decently, and he about explodes like a Christmas puppy fresh out of the box when it puts down a good number. Bill had him covered by .5 last year but you would have never known it in the pits.

I could watch that homely thing run all day too, just because BBR's enthusiasm is infectious.

Comment

You are missing my point.....I am talking about the 2700lb class killer that will show up with no back seat, all the interior cut up and gutted, with holes drilled every where and a 750HP SBC in it running 8's. Hell......it would take me 920+Hp to get in the 8's at my weight. How many 920+Hp street 430 SBC's you see running around?

Eitherway.....I don't think there will ever be a weight limit....it is just what I would propose. As for the maverick.....if the car came from the factory that light, then fine. But like you said, stock Fox Bodies like Jame's aren't that light.

Just trying to keep a little dignity in the class. That's all...
                Team Clueless
                1st Place SB/NA DW12
                2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                sigpic

Comment

Funny thing is, if it was Ford guys bitching about Camaros, everybody would be calling for the whaaambulance to bring in the vaginal sand removal team.

oh and thanks for the compliment there Mr. Beagle.
                  Last edited by BBR; June 13, 2013, 07:08 AM.
                  Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                  1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                  1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                  1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                  1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                  1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Gen 1 Camaros are actually pretty heavy James.

PS. I keep my vagina clean....
                    Last edited by lun40119; June 13, 2013, 07:11 AM.
                    Team Clueless
                    1st Place SB/NA DW12
                    2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lun40119 View Post
                      Well bring your fox.....as long as it hits the minimum weight then who cares.......if it is a gutted cut up piece of shit.......put it with the race cars. Where it belongs.

I know it will happen sooner or later........I've got a plan...

Bring something light.............I DARE YOU!!!
                      Ironically, that is exactly what this thread was started about. lol. I want to put a 'glass hatch on the car primarily because I want to start replacing the steel parts with lighter junk, and secondarily because I wanted to move it out of the street class and this was the easiest way to do it.

I think a well heeled racer could indeed put a small solid roller, CHI headed 427w in a crank up windowed '79 coupe with a full interior and make coin (HA!) but that's just not my style (okay, let's face it, I'm broke.)

I think your rockers are a 1.99 more than my entire shitbucket, but it doesn't make me love either car any less. Your's is just a much higher priced mistress... beautiful, seductive, expensive. Ritz Carlton and Caviar. I have no aspirations of ever sleeping in that neighborhood. My "other woman" is more likely to be found down by the river catching catfish.
                      Last edited by Beagle; June 13, 2013, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                        Funny thing is, if it was Ford guys bitching about Camaros, everybody would be calling for the whaaambulance to bring in the vaginal sand removal team.

oh and thanks for the compliment there Mr. Beagle.
                        Ahhh... the Whambulance.... what great memories! Where is that POS? It needs to come back this year.

Comment

My falcon weighed 2360 from the factory with an iron inline 6 and iron 2spd auto.

Too bad it will still be slow - no matter what it weighs when we're done.

I agree with Jake's concern - eventually money will ruin any form of racing I suppose.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I think if the class gets out of hand, DF/HR will change up the rules somehow to get it back in line. Minimum weight is a tough one because then you have to scale everybody at tech-in. Most guys with 8 sec cars will probably have other equipment that bumps them out of the Street Race class anyway. Luckily, I'm not in it to win it. I do it to explode like a Christmas puppy fresh out of the box when it puts down a good number and to have a great adventure with some of the coolest guys I have ever met.
                            Last edited by BBR; June 13, 2013, 07:23 AM.
                            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

unless they develop a sniping program, the keyboard racers will keep it from going to the $$$$$$ in it for the jacket only guys. DF already covered that with non-transferable registrations.

You know.. the 97 daily driver guys with worn out F5 keys!! HA!

Comment

The Guy's ( Jake) who complains about weight, should hope they don't add a Claimer rule for $800.00 on Engines. LOL Cheap guys cut weight, money buys Motors.

Lets face it, I wish they would just take all the prizes out of it, a Week of test and tune would be more fun. I for one don't race against anyone, But wanting rules skewed for one guy or another defeats the whole thing. Cool cars going down the Road and the guys that do it with enough balls to leave the car trailer behind.
                                2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                                First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                                2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                                2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
                                X