No announcement yet.

Valve Spring Testing 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That point of RPM stability lke all dynamic situations has its own limit and the number of times we exceed the limit reduces the life of the components. I'm not running my stuff anything like you guys to do, but a few late shifts and the datalog showed the engine seeing 8000 and a lttle bit despite the 7800 rev limiter. Further inspection of my busted parts showed this spring locater which was cut by the damper we think much like a hole saw might do to a washer. The other part is the valve tip which pulled away from the end of the valve stem and then worked its way to the pan where I found it.

This tells us the spring broke and the engine continued to run which I suspect meant that it likely broke at the end of my second Pomona timed run. We then went for the 30 mile drive all on freeways and then parked in staging for two hours before we made our first lap. On that run it slowed to 10.24 compared to the 9.90/9.89 it ran in time trials and the MPH was off 4 at the eigth and 10 at the quarter. We're going to test the rest of the springs just to be sure about fatigue and if there is a difference between the intake and exhuast springs numbers on average.

It looks like I'll be replacing all the intake valves due to the tips coming off issue, and with having to bore it 4.6", all new pistons, not to mention a small cut on the heads which will require a look at the piston dish volume. It was at 11.86 CR on this last build and I think we are close to the limit given the Cali 91 pump gas it has to run on which now has at least 10% ethanol. We may go to a 2.45" intake as that calculates out a bit better and the heads can easily accomodate that size. Might add some lift too. This would be all fun except for the $$$$ part.
    Last edited by CDMBill; June 22, 2013, 09:34 PM.
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• Going from being able to ingest a golf ball to being able to ingest a baseball
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Thats one reason I dont run a spring setup with a damper, it will kill a titanium retainer the same way.
        Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
        Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
        Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
        Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

• Gonna check seat pressure tomorrow. Did 100 miles this evening. Much of it in the rain. That aint fun. 70 miles of 60-70 MPH and 30 on back country paved over dirt roads. Nothing compared to Dragweek but, a little test for preparation. Did not burn a drop of oil. Normally this little engine drink oil when it is cold. Think a better handle on the carb is helping a lot.

Comment

• One other addition I'm planning for 2014 is valve spring oilers. I thought I was good to go on this based on previous results, but....
            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

• So been working on getting my valve spring pressure down a bit, did have 340 seat and 800 over nose with my camshaft of .795 gross lift. These are manley springs 221425 installed at 2 inches, last year I thought it had the manley 221454 which are 280 seat and 780 or so open but I was mistaken(they came with the heads). I think the pressures helped in the killing of my rocker arms so this year I have revised rockers and plenty of spares but want to help it some so after reviewing the lobes and such with the cam grinder we came to the specs of around 250 seat and 650 open since I dont spin this into Jake territory of 8k plus, its a max of 7800 or so. I found some dual howards springs that fit the bill but awwwwe they have a damper spring and I am afraid of them killing my titanium retainer on the trip.

What do you guys think? Manley makes a spring that would work too but would be .150 from coil bind so I am shying away from that one.
              I dont want to buy new retainers either as that kills my drag week budget.
              Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

• Its weight and ramp speeds I use a Nextek spring and have really never had a issue in a spring on Drag Week 280 on the seat after beak in. When springs go away sometimes its time to look at the ramp speeds. The spring company can tell you the sweet spot from coil bind plus add your deflections a .780 lift cam is not going to lift .780 but it will loft past it.
                2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

• Im not so much afraid of the spring breaking, just the rest lol. What do you think about the titanium retainer with a damper spring?
                  Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

• Me no likey
                    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

• Coat the retainer or use tool steel...
                      Last edited by lun40119; June 25, 2013, 12:49 PM.
                      Team Clueless
                      1st Place SB/NA DW12
                      2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                      sigpic

Comment

• Afraid to add weight to valve train with a steel retainer, but I may have to. I have a set I can use with that spring but they are 7degree which Im not opposed to. A 1396 is what PAC recommended but getting a retainer and seat for them will push the $1000 mark.
                        Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

• Tool steel retainers are close to titanium in weight as they are heavily relieved.

Comment

• Tool steel retainer on mine......

Team Clueless
                            1st Place SB/NA DW12
                            2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                            sigpic

Comment

• If I had your money id burn mine jake.
                              "Friends don't let friends run the daily driver class,"

Comment

• Cant even afford the paper towel they are on
                                Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X