Valve Spring Testing 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Spring Testing 101

I was using an LSM on rocker tool to check valve spring pressure which in my mind equalled valve spring condition along with checking lash and tracking top end performance for consistency. Since it seems that a broken valve spring may well have been my issue I want to be sure I'm doing the checking right.

I used my spring tool to check installed pressure after the motor came home form the dyno as a baseline. It was right at the 230# number the the heads had been setup with during the build. I checked the springs before most events when I ran the valves and saw less than 5% change which I'd understood was acceptable.

I've been running the same Isky Tool Room springs on these version 3 TFS A460 heads as I ran on the previous version one set of the same head. The change was to go from a 2.35" stainless intake to a 2.40" ti intake on the new heads plus a more aggressive lobe cam and higher shift point, 7500 vs 7200.

I expected lower spring life which is why I was checking frequently. I did not check between the two True Street events, Fun Ford and NMCA which is where the valve broke and I found the outer spring broken in tow places.

I noticed in Jake's post that he checked lash and pressure every day at DW. I didn't, I checked lash before we left, day 1 and day 3. I didn't check pressure after the pre-departure check. They checked fine before the Fun Ford event four weeks ago.

What should I be doing different? How do you guys check yours?
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Daily checks is what we do also. But that's a loss of pressure, a break may be long cycle times. Everything has a cycle life
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Bill, what you described is exactly how I do mine.....during the summer when I am bracket racing, I check them every other weekend......on Drag Week......every day.
      Checking valvesprings on a street car. This is an informational video for Mr. Shortbus, and his little buddy Butch.
      Last edited by lun40119; June 10, 2013, 05:49 AM.
      Team Clueless
      1st Place SB/NA DW12
      2nd Place SB/NA DW11
      sigpic

Comment

Jake, thanks for the reponse and the video. I was on the right track then and per Jeff this may have been a cycle time issue as opposed to fatigue which means more frequent valve spring replacement with the more aggressive cam which isn't a surprise. But it's an expensive lesson in being even more proactive and shortening replacement schedules.
        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Bill this is why I change mine so often, I consider lifters and springs consumables, the Rockers last year had less than 700 miles on them so I considered that to be a issue, not from wear.

Comment

We'll see how everything goes.......the spintron is priceless. Not just spinning stuff to see what it looks like but actually using it as an R&D tool to fine tune the valvetrain.

I know Tom has a BBC running around with .950ish lift, and around 220lbs of seat pressure with Ti valves.
            Team Clueless
            1st Place SB/NA DW12
            2nd Place SB/NA DW11
            sigpic

Comment

You guys "claim" to have "street cars", and you can't keep the valve covers on for more then a day!??!?! I've probably got at least 1500 miles on my junk since November, and a couple dozen passes, had the covers off 3 times just to check lash... If I had to do all that shit everyday, I would be embarrassed to call my car a street car, and I don't have access to the experience of a spintron, even.. In about 7 years I've never had a valvetrain issue beyond killing lifters.

Comment

Eddo............your a douche bag.....jusayin.
                Last edited by lun40119; June 10, 2013, 10:47 AM.
                Team Clueless
                1st Place SB/NA DW12
                2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                sigpic

Comment

Eddie, I would recommend checking lash and spring pressures in October 2013. Also I suggest check you oil and tires pressures in November, 2013.
                  HOTROD Dragweek Pro Street N/A winner 2007,2011, 2012/ 2nd, 2009
                  HOTROD Dragweek quickest and fastest naturally aspirated car in any class 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012
                  FIRST IN THE EIGHTS Legal Pro Street N/A HOTROD Drag Week 2012

Comment

Originally posted by whichdoctor View Post
                    Eddie, I would recommend checking lash and spring pressures in October 2013. Also I suggest check you oil and tires pressures in November, 2013.
                    Team Clueless
                    1st Place SB/NA DW12
                    2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lun40119 View Post
                      Eddo............your a douche bag.....jusayin.
                      The truth always hurts, doesn't it? I've been called plenty of names, I understand.
                      Last edited by TheEngineWorks.com; June 10, 2013, 11:07 AM.

Comment

What ever dude, with no more than your car weighs and might as well be 600 inches it is not rocket science to go as fast as you have, when did you have a SBC push a 3700 lb stock susp car into the nines? See your post to Red Victor its like you looked into the Mirror. Street car now your going to tell everyone what they have to do to be called a Street Car? You and Bob need to have a chat room by the way was your street car parked for how long 2 years? I have yet to blow the intake off my Street Car. Springs are Maint. not a repair.........

Comment

Originally posted by TheEngineWorks.com View Post
                          The truth always hurts, doesn't it? I've been called plenty of names, I understand.
                          Yawns.......your a goon. Why don't you slap together a 430inch engine, and come and play in SB/NA.....I'll gladly hand you your ass..........in an Easter Basket.

Ill even let you run those meatball steamroller tars..........because I know there is no way in hell a caveman like you can hook a small tire.
                          Last edited by lun40119; June 10, 2013, 11:47 AM.
                          Team Clueless
                          1st Place SB/NA DW12
                          2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                          sigpic

Comment

Wurd, from the Mayor of Realville

Comment

Originally posted by lun40119 View Post
                              Yawns.......your a goon. Why don't you slap together a 430inch engine, and come and play in SB/NA.....I'll gladly hand you your ass..........in an Easter Basket.

Ill even let you run those meatball steamroller tars..........because I know there is no way in hell a caveman like you can hook a small tire.
                              I've been building SB Chevys since the late 70's, my dad made some of the biggest power of the day. I don't think you'd want me to do that, I got a lot more experience with a SB Chevy then I do a BB Mopar.. lol Building a SB Chevy is a walk in the park compared to building a BB Mopar, you have parts galore to pick from!

As far as my tires, I have no issue with being on a Drag Radial and no bars, either, matter of fact, that's the current setup..

Comment

Working...
                              X