Reason for going.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reason for going.

Does anybody just go to have fun anymore? Just want everyone to know my slow ass underpowered land yacht will be there this year. Ill be spraying it to run a mid nine with my antiquated 23 degree off the shelf heads. But I can guarantee two things! I'm not gonna win anything. And I'm gonna have a kick ass time doing it.
    "Friends don't let friends run the daily driver class,"

Absolutely for me there is no other reason for going and Slimbo I think your understated ride is cool.
    Ross

Comment

Not gonna lie Mark.....I am competitive by nature. Until I get there. Once you are through tech, it's pretty much sealed. What's going to happen is going to happen.

While I am there, I am all about the fun...My favorite part of Drag Week is the hotel parking lots........hands down!!!

May I fix you a margarita?
      Last edited by lun40119; June 11, 2013, 03:36 AM.
      Team Clueless
      1st Place SB/NA DW12
      2nd Place SB/NA DW11
      sigpic

Comment

PS. You know the land yacht kicks ass!!!
        Team Clueless
        1st Place SB/NA DW12
        2nd Place SB/NA DW11
        sigpic

Comment

I have wanted to do DW for several years I have known about it, and this year was doable. Not with the car I would like to do it with but more less a car I consider a true street car over anything race related. I am actually going to swap it over to a few more performance related parts just for some added speed, but I am going for the experience and fun over building a dedicated class car.

Don't get me wrong I would love to put something together to go after Jake or Jeff, but I would not use it the other 51 weeks out the year so it will be my family fun ride coming with me.
          -Bobby-

Comment

Originally posted by Lilracr View Post
            I have wanted to do DW for several years I have known about it, and this year was doable. Not with the car I would like to do it with but more less a car I consider a true street car over anything race related. I am actually going to swap it over to a few more performance related parts just for some added speed, but I am going for the experience and fun over building a dedicated class car.

Don't get me wrong I would love to put something together to go after Jake or Jeff, but I would not use it the other 51 weeks out the year so it will be my family fun ride coming with me.
            Pack a lunch....Goof.
            Team Clueless
            1st Place SB/NA DW12
            2nd Place SB/NA DW11
            sigpic

Comment

we went last year without a car - so yes, to answer your question... and the missus was hooked instantly.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The reason I got into Drag Racing was for fun. Once it is not fun anymore, I will stop racing.
                Last edited by nesabo; June 11, 2013, 05:03 AM.
                Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

I drive mine everywhere and alot. I even drove it 400 miles to the Lonestar roundup pulling a swap meet trailer hauling 40's cabs to sell to ratrod guys and they thought I was nuts. I even got pulled over by DPS just because see wanted to see my circus act. If I can't drive it, I don't want it.
                  Go ahead, pull my finger.

Comment

Wanted to be a part of this INSANE event since I first read about it years ago. Put it on my bucket list and was able to "show up" last year. And Slimbo, if your sweet ride is slow, I'm just a boat anchor. Half the field would need to stay home and then I would have a 2 percent chance of placing in the top 100.
                    Do not have the time or money to build what I would like to have, but I am going to have fun with the junk I got.

I had no idea what to expect last year, just wanted to see if I could do it. Burned the midnight oil for weeks leading up to DW and was in the tech line with the green paint still soft, but Cameron & I made it. My biggest surprise was the reception we got. There might be a couple of guys that don't "get" it but everyone else made us feel a part of the group. My only regret was not getting to visit with everyone. (will do more of that this year)

We will try to get to the hotels in time this year to join in the parking lot time, so Jake store a couple of Mountain Dews in the cooler or I'll just bring my java.

See you group of crazies in Bowling Green.
                    Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

when it stops being fun i'll find something else to blow money on. the parking lot is a lot of fun...but I enjoy the drive as well...nothing like seeing 200 fast cars rolling into small towns jockying for the few gas pumps .

Comment

The fun is dripping out slowly for me, once again its the people late to the show but will do anything for a Jacket, they miss the fact its not about the Jacket. I go to see my friends I have met and make new ones along the way, and to test myself its never been about the other guy for me.

I go with a Personal goal, and I suggest this to anyone who asks, if you go looking for a Jacket it could make for a rough week, you cant control who shows up with what. Jake texted yesterday some guy in Hot Rod this month is coming, he has run in the 8's, well bring it, it wont change my plans I never go looking to win, this years goal is to run a 9.39 and finish the week. First Goal is to show up.
                        Last edited by JeffMcKC; June 11, 2013, 06:21 AM.
                        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Good point Jeff.....I remember you telling me that before I ever even went.......bring a goal and a sense of humor, and if need be, bring a car.

I won last year, but didn't achieve my goal, so it is carried over to this year.......run a 9 at every track with my Chevelle.

Year 1. Goal was to finish, and prove to myself that my car was street worthy.......Check

Year 2. Finish and run a 9 at every track.....fail.

Year 3. Finish and run a 9 at every track.....we'll see. Hopefully.
                          Last edited by lun40119; June 11, 2013, 06:51 AM.
                          Team Clueless
                          1st Place SB/NA DW12
                          2nd Place SB/NA DW11
                          sigpic

Comment

I go to have fun. I'm not overly competetive, but I do try and not be last either =P Being able to drive out there, make all five days and drive home is a good mission accomplished for me. I was happy to see my average time and quickest time drop from 2011 to 2012 and I hope to drop it some more this year. Last year's surprise "over-time" day left a bitter taste in my mouth about it though, where at least this year I have planned for it.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

How to respond without writing a novel... tough, very tough..
                              Ever since I first heard about DW 4 years ago, I though about actually going out and doing it, but the pressures of owning a shop, etc. etc., made me push the idea aside... until 2012 when I watched all of it on the Net.. then I had to do it..

That being said:
                              The short answer for me, is primarily the challenge of 1) building a car in a short time to make DW, and, 2) having said car not only perform, but survive the week. The "fun" factor is another strong motivator for me... taking a look at threads about all the bitching and moaning with bracket racers, heads-up racers, etc. etc. only strengthens my resolve to make it to Bowling Green... and when I show, whatever happens, happens..

funny... I have my Chevelle that I've run since 1990, race ready, etc. that sits under an inch of dust over in the corner of the shop. I have no desire to take it out at the moment, while on the lift sits my Drag Week car, slowly (to me) taking shape.
                              DW2013 - DNF (Gateway - trans failure)
                              DW2014 - SR BB/PA class winner!
                              DW2015 - Finished in 1 piece (for once!)
                              DW2016 - Still "Fox Free" ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X