ID:	880334

What were you doing when it happened?
    Team Clueless
    1st Place SB/NA DW12
    2nd Place SB/NA DW11
    sigpic

Comment

OUCH!

Broken piston could be detonation if it is cast, but it is hard to tell. The cylinder wall, IDK. What engine is it and any details of the failure (were you racing, did it just fail going down the road, had it been smoking, etc.)
      Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

455 Buick. Fresh build 10.5 compression aluminum pistons. Running down the road about 60 mph. Timing was set at 28 degrees AFR was 13.7. Had about 40 miles on it and hadn't got on it yet.

Comment

Any chance the ring gap was too tight?

My first thought was perhaps water froze in the block, but that isn't likely on a fresh build given the time of year.
          Last edited by TheSilverBuick; June 11, 2013, 03:21 PM.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

That's what I was thinking...
            Team Clueless
            1st Place SB/NA DW12
            2nd Place SB/NA DW11
            sigpic

Comment

Was it overbored .060" or more? Any close up pictures of the lifter valley?

Comment

is it me or is there old grooves at the top of the wall. new stuff snapped at something discontent in its path...
                and that is a big compression, going flat, it will slam walls even when they are good.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Thats a VERY large crack.... thin wall and porosity in the bore... I
                  will assume you didnt sonic check it before you worked on it

Comment

I'd like to see the lifter bores to see if there is a sense of how much core shift is in the block. Also wonder if the chunk that popped up caused the piston to rock into the bore at TDC.
                    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; June 11, 2013, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Bored 30 over. Temp was running @180. Machine shop put the bottom end together so I'm not sure on the ring gap. Would have to search through some paperwork.

Comment

Sorry for the bad news.

How long did it sit with water in the cylinder after the bad noises started? That dark ridge at the top says way rich, or the cylinder walls not prepped like one would expect.
                        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

It was running way rich when I first fired it. AFR was 9.3. Went down two full jets and one larger metering rod and had the AFR at 13.7 when it shit it's cookies. The block was sonic checked before anything was done. Russell, I didn't get any pictures of the lifter gallery and the block is back at the machine shop now.

Comment

Originally posted by 72buickgs View Post
                            It was running way rich when I first fired it. AFR was 9.3. Went down two full jets and one larger metering rod and had the AFR at 13.7 when it shit it's cookies. The block was sonic checked before anything was done. Russell, I didn't get any pictures of the lifter gallery and the block is back at the machine shop now.
                            What was the readings on the sonic check for that cyl

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                              Sorry for the bad news.

How long did it sit with water in the cylinder after the bad noises started? That dark ridge at the top says way rich, or the cylinder walls not prepped like one would expect.
                              I go with cylinder wall not prepped right. But then I'm just an old tractor mechanic.
                              Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

Working...
                              X