Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling issue

Figured I would post up here quick.

been having some issues with the car running warm.. (or maybe its normal for a bbc??)

I had these issues back in 2011 on dragweek as well for the most part. Being younger I'm nowhere as near educated to where I want to be on this stuff yet so please bare with me as I do tend to ramble and not make any sense at times..

Basically in 2011 the motor was a 461 bbc.. pusher flexlite electric fans, 180 thermostat, 2 electric fuel pumps, 10-1 compression, 750 holley carb.

All through the week it ran about 220... and had a bad hot crank issue where i would have to let it sit for 15 mins at stops to cool enough to restart. It would stutter on acceleration and contstantly try to die down and stall at stops.

This year: it is a 489 bbc stroker. all forged internals, new alternator 140 amp 1 wire, new 31 inch radiator/the old was 28'', we cut the front portion of the radiator support out to allow as much air in as possible, swapped the fan around to a pusher on the backside of the radiator, gutted the thermostat, new thermostat housing(old one was cracked)... same carb, and fuel set up. 36-38 degrees timing

Test ran it today and it ran at 210 for the most part and hit 215 for a minute or so. pulled back into the garage after about 25-30 mins of run time and it cranks super slow.

Friday we are going to try a different starter.. a tilton superstarter and look to make sure all the grounds are good, and re jet the carb a little.

is 210-220 warm for a bbc? and any input on the hot crank issue? the car seemed to run fairly decent today but it wasn't a super long test run.

Any input or ideas would be great. Im confident we can figure it out or atleast get it as good as possible for dragweek but figured i would ask and see if any of you guys have experienced some of these issues and possibly what you did to fix it...

thanks... Doug
    Last edited by dougs67; June 27, 2013, 10:25 AM.
    Drag Week 2011: Finished with best pass of 12.21 at 107mph

Pictures of the fan/shroud set up? IMO it's running hot since the thermostat is a 180*F. Is it hot when driving slower too? Maybe its an rpm issue? My car runs between 185-190*F with a 180*F thermostat. 462" Buick.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I can take a picture of it Friday when I go out to work on it next. Basically its as open as possible everything is cut out on the front to match the radiator, only thing in front of it is the tranny cooler on the lf side.. today when testing I was running it without a thermostat and it was at the 210-215 mark. It didn't fluctuate much between higher and lower rmps.

my last sbc 350 stayed constant at 180.. so I didn't know if bb's run warmer.. by 30-40degrees.
      Last edited by dougs67; June 26, 2013, 09:20 PM.

Comment

what water pump? what fans? thermostat? what size radiator? underdriven pulleys? what car? what is the voltage going into the fans? 12-13v? how big is the wiring from the alternator to the battery? locked out timing?

ARE THE FANS TURNING THE RIGHT WAY ?

Check the system voltage with the car idling and also engine running at cruise rpm. check it at the back of the alternator, then at the battery terminals, then as close to the loads (pumps fans etc) as possible. a one wire alternator can only regulate itself to put out 14v at the terminal. it sounds like you dont have enough voltage to properly run the fans and the battery isnt being properly charged either, causing it to be hard to start when hot.

just my .02$ (from a guy who had to drop out in 11 for a STUPID cooling issue)

Comment

Originally posted by dougs67 View Post
          I can take a picture of it Friday when I go out to work on it next. today when testing I was running it without a thermostat and it was at the 210-215 mark.

Its pretty much all open besides the tranny cooler mounted in the LF side of the radiator.
          tranny cooler = heating pad

Comment

496 10-1 forged with a 170* thermostat runs all day at 185*
            I am running pro comp aluminum heads and a 4 core radiator in a 83 C10.
            Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

210-215 is not too hot for the engine, but it does have side effects that are a pain, as you've discovered.

31" radiator is a tad small....I'm running a 34" wide radiator in my 55 with a blown 454, and it cools fine on the highway, although it does creep up some in traffic when it's hot out ("hot" here is when it's over 100).

Pictures....yeah, that would help.
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Weiand mechanical pump , flexalite dual fan older version from about 3 years ago.. not sure of the model number anymore., no thermostat, week old northern aluminum race radiator 31x19'', 68 nova, fans are turning the correct way( double checked that tonight) checked the voltage idling and it was 14.58 at the alt, and 14.02 at the battery in the trunk.. the tranny cooler isn't directly mounted onto the radiator but mounted in front about 2 inches away or so..

I will check the voltage to the fans Friday and see what its putting out. I did notice the gauge sits around 12-13 with fan running while driving but does fluctuate quite a bit.. 3 week old powermaster 140 amp alternator.

Comment

Timing? And any chance it's overly lean or rich while driving?
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

right around 38 degrees.. it was running a little lean so we are going to change the jets and mess with the tune a bit more.
                    Last edited by dougs67; June 27, 2013, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dougs67 View Post
                      Weiand mechanical pump , flexalite dual fan older version from about 3 years ago.. not sure of the model number anymore., no thermostat, week old northern aluminum race radiator 31x19'', 68 nova, fans are turning the correct way( double checked that tonight) checked the voltage idling and it was 14.58 at the alt, and 14.02 at the battery in the trunk.. the tranny cooler isn't directly mounted onto the radiator but mounted in front about 2 inches away or so..

I will check the voltage to the fans Friday and see what its putting out. I did notice the gauge sits around 12-13 with fan running while driving but does fluctuate quite a bit.. 3 week old powermaster 140 amp alternator.
                      3rd gen camaro with a 634bbc 10.5/1. mine runs 185 everywhere. the only way i can make it heat up at all is to do back to back WOT/braking/wot/braking/wot............. and itll go to 205. 32-1/8" X 18-5/8" X 3-1/8 radiator. dual flexalite 4600cfm fan shrouded to the rad. edelbrock long alum rev rotation pump. 105 amp 3 wire alt with a 2ga cable. volt gauge wired into the main distribution bus reads 14.5 untill i turn the headlights on, then 13 volts.

had to drop out of 11 because the pass side fan was running backwards. those fans move so much air that when running as pushers they will generate a tip vortex ring that feels like the air is coming out of the fan. several people held their hands behind my fans and nobody suspected one was turning opposite the other, although a couple did think the pass was weaker than the driver side. i found it by chance, i just happened to be looking at the fan after i unplugged it and saw it spool down the wrong way. took 3 minutes to fix

Comment

I'm gonna say the problem is the junk flexalite duals yours running I would only use the black majic style fans from flexalite. We ran one on my buddies 496 nova with a 26 inch wide alum rad and it kept it under 190 all the time. This small dual flexalite setups aren't very efficient. Plus be sure the carb isn't really lean as that will make it run hot as well. And be sure to run a thermostat. I run a 160 and most days my car runs between 170-180. I run the dual flexalite setup that pulls 4600 Cfm as well. It's a hit to the wallet but it works.
                        Last edited by slimbo5; June 26, 2013, 10:51 PM.
                        "Friends don't let friends run the daily driver class,"

Comment

Our big block has always ran 210 to 220 with a 31" radiator, 4000cfm fans and Mezier 55gpm pump. We are going to try a hi flow mechanical pump from Stewart this year. They have a lot of good tech info on there web page.
                          Drag Week 2009 winner BB/NA
                          Drag Week 2010 second BB/NA
                          Drag week 2011 Winner Modified/NA
                          Drag week 2012 Winner SS BB/NA

Comment

im running a BBF and run in 200* temp been like that for year's... I do have a hi torque starter and it cranks easily with the stock starter had the hot start problem...
                            Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
                            Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

One larger fan is more efficient than 2 small fans... the center
                              of each fan where the motor is doesnt move any air... if you
                              can run 50 mph and faster and not over heat then its a fan/air
                              issue and that includes the shroud ... I'd like to see a pic of your
                              set up...
                              EDIT
                              I run a BRR chevy fan and if the fan stays on it will run the temp
                              down to 140*.. thats with a 180* stat in it... I run the elec water
                              pump so I have 6, 1/8 holes in the stat to move fluid when the stat
                              is closed(you dont want to dead head a elec water pump)
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by MR P-BODY; June 27, 2013, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X