Valve Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
    You should use a plastic "rubber" ( like a Cigarette wrapper almost) over the valve as you install it to keep from damaging the edge as it goes thru it
    Braum's has the biggest diameter straws last I checked...
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
      Im using whatever shady dell put on there.
      I can elaborate more on this now. Mine has teflons on it, I had two springs off when setting the cam this last weekend. They seem to be OK. It didn't burn a drop of oil on DW last year.
      1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
      1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

I'm gonna go with the blue ones shown... I've heard good things
        about them.. specially on a street engine.. I have to pull apart my
        W-2 heads today to check the springs, valves and the seals.. I might
        touch up the valves since I have them apart... but if they look good
        I'll leave them alone... since I use stones for the valve grind it takes
        me much longer to do all the angles
        Last edited by MR P-BODY; July 3, 2013, 07:08 AM.

Comment

I learned at least for me, a long time ago to send them out, a proprietary cutter is used not all valve jobs are created equal. Some very well known shops will borrow a shops cutter or send them over to have it done for them if they wont loan it. You can kill a lot of flow with a slightly off valve job. 30 CFM was found in Doc's heads just on the valve job alone.
          Last edited by JeffMcKC; July 3, 2013, 07:27 AM.
          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I learned at least for me, a long time ago to send them out, a proprietary cutter is used not all valve jobs are created equal. Some very well known shops will borrow a shops cutter or send them over to have it done for them if they wont loan it. You can kill a lot of flow with a slightly off valve job. 30 CFM was found in Doc's heads just on the valve job alone.
            I've been doing mine for years... I use to take my heads into work
            and have them flowed after I did a valve job and they looked real
            good on the bench... now I dont have that option since I retired...
            the low flow numbers looked real good on this set when I had them
            flowed last time... but this set isnt a maxed out set

Comment

Some testing on this aspect makes a big difference and of course each head/valve combination wants something a little different. We use multiple cuts not to mention how the valve is shaped.

On the OP we are using the metal wrapped Viton as well.
              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

feeding the derail for a moment, I saw something or read it where the guys were cnc cutting the seats and reported having 99 discreet angles programmed into the "radius"

Is this marketing foofoo or would there be any advantage to a fully "radius'd" valve seat?

Comment

The seats can preform many functions including helping control reversion
                  2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                  First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                  2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                  2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    feeding the derail for a moment, I saw something or read it where the guys were cnc cutting the seats and reported having 99 discreet angles programmed into the "radius"

Is this marketing foofoo or would there be any advantage to a fully "radius'd" valve seat?
                    From what I've seen a radius is the best for the flow... but seat life is short since
                    its only touching at a point and tends to go flat after the beating it gets

Comment

Originally posted by MR P-BODY View Post
                      From what I've seen a radius is the best for the flow... but seat life is short since
                      its only touching at a point and tends to go flat after the beating it gets
                      The radius seats I have seen are on the exhaust side and they have a flat section in the middle where the valve makes contact.

Comment

Originally posted by c2xejk View Post
                        The radius seats I have seen are on the exhaust side and they have a flat section in the middle where the valve makes contact.
                        But a total radius is better for flow... its not that big of a deal
                        on the exhaust side since its the piston pushing out the gasses
                        but on a N/A the piston only creates the negative for the atmospheric
                        pressure to push it in

Comment

Buy the way.. I torn down my engine(thats gonna go in the car)..
                          everything looked great.... but I did see that the idler for the gear
                          drive was loose... seems the bolt in the back of it has come loose
                          and thankfully it didnt fall right off... or jump timing... this is on a
                          KB gear drive(single idler).. I've been running these gear drives for
                          years and have them on multiple engines.... first time I ever had a issue..
                          but everything else looks great.. if I wanted to I COULD put the same
                          bearings back in.. they look like new...... the ONE problem is.. I forgot
                          this block is a partial fill.... I dont know if I want to use it with a oil cooler
                          or try to find another 340 block...if I can find a block in a few days then
                          I'll go with another block

Comment

I like the oil cooler and current block that's proven route personally as its has fewer things that can go wrong IMHO.
                            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                              I like the oil cooler and current block that's proven route personally as its has fewer things that can go wrong IMHO.
                              Yeah... I know what your saying
                              EDIT
                              I think I have 2 more blocks and one should be good
                              but I would have to check it.. it was a running engine
                              but its been up in the pole barn... I forgot about them..
                              too much junk... or cant remember shit
                              Last edited by MR P-BODY; July 3, 2013, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I understand CRS a little too well today. I found a set of pistons I honestly don't remember buying.

Comment

Working...
                                X