axles and gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• axles and gears

I decided to put a spool in the GTO, as of now it has strange 35 spine S/T axles
    in it. taking the 4.11s out and putting 3.73 or 3.54s in . So what is everybody using for axles, street or race , and street or race gears. ( looking at race gears if I can find the correct ratio for my Dana 60)

What about synthetic lubes? Oil, gear lubes.
    Reading , Pa
    Good Guys rodders rep.
    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

I run a moser 35 spline axle with 3.91 gears and synthetic lube. Its all old and been in there over 14 years(not the lube). My car is an 11.40 car with an automatic so its not like its hard on rear axle parts.

I have been using synthetic in the axles in my jeep for awhile now, the lockers noticeably work smoother so i went ahead and put some in the car. I buy the cheapest synthetic possible for the jeep because it ends up with water in the fluid eventually.
    1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
    1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

I use Richmond street gears and moser 35 spline axles. They told me to stay away from the race gears if your putting a lot of mileage on the gear set. And I abuse my rears. 3880 pounds going low 1.30 high 1.20 60 foots. And I use 80/140 standard gear oil.
      Last edited by slimbo5; July 5, 2013, 03:00 PM.
      "Friends don't let friends run the daily driver class,"

Comment

I use Royal Purple and street gears and used E-Bay Nascar gears
        Last edited by JeffMcKC; July 5, 2013, 06:36 PM.
        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Moser 35 spline (12 bolt), street gears, and I think Redline grease, but I am not sure... freaking alzhiemers...
          Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

35 spline Strange S/T axles with a locker, Lucas 80-140 synthetic, no issues five Drag Weeks and lots of other stuff. But only 1.40-1.50 60 fts. at 4120 lbs.
            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I run Richmond gears in the race car with 35 Strange axles with a spool..
              that car does a 1.19 60' and the axle have about a 1/2 twist of the splines
              they been that way since a few weeks of new.. the Rampage has Dutchman
              axles with 4.10 gears... no testing yet so I dont know the 60'

Comment

I'm not a power house at 450hp but do have 31 spline Moser axles with 3.89 motive gear and Detroit True trac posi
                Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
                Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

35 spline Mosers with spool and Motive 3.70 "good" street gears (they have two different grades of street gears, go figure), using Royal Purple synthetic lube.

(nice runon sentence!)
                  DW2013 - DNF (Gateway - trans failure)
                  DW2014 - SR BB/PA class winner!
                  DW2015 - Finished in 1 piece (for once!)
                  DW2016 - Still "Fox Free" ;)

Comment

Learn from what I learn. LOL

I had grease pouring out my axles this week. Last week did a road test in the heat. Pulled the MW axles that are gun drilled. They had plastic plugs in them. Guess what the grease got hot enough that the plugs fell out. They are all drawn up and will not stay in. Could not find a 7/8 core plug. So I made aluminum plugs and glued them in.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon421 View Post
                      Learn from what I learn. LOL

I had grease pouring out my axles this week. Last week did a road test in the heat. Pulled the MW axles that are gun drilled. They had plastic plugs in them. Guess what the grease got hot enough that the plugs fell out. They are all drawn up and will not stay in. Could not find a 7/8 core plug. So I made aluminum plugs and glued them in.
                      Interesting, not something I would have thought of. Thats why you test!
                      1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                      1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Working...
                      X