No announcement yet.

Ready to drop out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine broke down last weekend while returning on a 500 mile road trip Taking it on a 1,600 mile road trip this weekend
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; July 30, 2013, 09:33 AM.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Doc - I sure as hell hope to drive this thing ALLOT between drag weeks! My plan is to make improvements but not to tear it apart and start over again - not by a long shot.

Mike - I totally understand - with two or three projects in and out of the shop, plus the house move - I'm having a hellofatime finding things, Marco and I did take some time to round up a bunch of trash, put lots of tools away, etc, but the place still looks like a bomb went off in a hardware store / junkyard - and there are three cars in there that don't move under there own power... yet.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I've been slacking a bit this year. After this next weekend, assuming all goes well, I'll have around 4,000 miles this year. Figure another ~4,000 miles for Drag Week and maybe another 1,200-1,500 after Drag Week for driving to CA for Christmas or Thanksgiving.

Click image for larger version

Name:	July 2013 Skylark driving.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	871618
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Installing new 315 60 15 MT ET ST Radials today.
          I could break something
          But I still will be in BG in Sept.

Leaving for Bowling Green tomarow for NMCA event on weekend.
          Trying to decided on Woodard cruise?
          About 6000 miles on 56 so far this year
          20 1/4 passes

Comment

Originally posted by 1956NY150 View Post
            Installing new 315 60 15 MT ET ST Radials today.
            I could break something
            But I still will be in BG in Sept.

Leaving for Bowling Green tomarow for NMCA event on weekend.
            Trying to decided on Woodard cruise?
            About 6000 miles on 56 so far this year
            20 1/4 passes
            Bob, what was your average reaction time?
            HOTROD Dragweek Pro Street N/A winner 2007,2011, 2012/ 2nd, 2009
            HOTROD Dragweek quickest and fastest naturally aspirated car in any class 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012
            FIRST IN THE EIGHTS Legal Pro Street N/A HOTROD Drag Week 2012

Comment

RT ?
              Foot braking
              very, very fast to very very slow
              Some Pro Tree, sportsman tree
              .007 on pro last weekend
              Much better at arm drop or flashlight

Comment

Originally posted by whichdoctor View Post
                It makes one wonder about an event of "street cars" consisting of a large group of cars that are being tweaked, modified and or full on constructed to get the honor of fastest street car in one of 14 classes doesn't it? Don't these things ever get driven and enjoyed or are they just freaks for 5 days and then dismantled and recreated every 12 months?
                Doc,
                The motor I just pulled was in the car since 1996, it was time for an update. It was burning and leaking a bunch of oil. Nothing race in the replacement motor, stock 4" bore, factory GM heads, you can't get much more special. I did add a line lock to hold it still on the starting line! Need a rev limited to go along with the factory HEI ignition!
                Last edited by Lilracr; July 30, 2013, 01:43 PM.
                -Bobby-

Comment

It makes one wonder about an event of "street cars" consisting of a large group of cars that are being tweaked, modified and or full on constructed to get the honor of fastest street car in one of 14 classes doesn't it? Don't these things ever get driven and enjoyed or are they just freaks for 5 days and then dismantled and recreated every 12 months?
                  This is more leg-pulling, isn't it? Of course the ones that win are mostly "freaks." (Note: I said "most," not "all")

In contrast, I ran a true daily-driven car in DD last year. (One that would whip 98% of the stock '60s muscle cars I grew up with . . . with 1/100th of the emissions, anvil-like reliability, and econobox fuel economy . . . one that racks up almost 20,000 miles per year)

Nearly everyone hated it.

It missed "the show" by thousandths of a second . . . being defeated mostly by non-daily-driven "Daily Drivers." (and one Source Interlink employee in a factory-backed ride)

So why wouldn't I do everything reasonably possible to come back with a purpose-built "freak" and shoot for safely making the "Quick 32?"

As in most fields, excellence requires specialized, almost-obsessive attention to a myriad of details . . . many of which contradict with true, daily streetability . . . That's something that's absent in many, if not most unprepared vehicles.

And there aren't many with the resources to fuel, maintain, protect, secure, and insure vehicles of winning caliber on a frequently-driven basis. So yes, the competitive cars are "street cars," not actual street cars IMO.

On the other hand, even if they're mostly seldom-driven, purpose-built ringers, the hottest DW iron is more legitimate than the mostly trailered "freaks" featured on Discovery's "Street Outlaws" . . . or at many cruise nights and fairgrounds events.
                  Last edited by 38P; July 30, 2013, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Don't these things ever get driven and enjoyed or are they just freaks for 5 days and then dismantled and recreated every 12 months?
                    There's a broad spectrum of cars....some only run on DW, others get driven year round, racking up many thousands of miles.

I built my DW car in the 90s, long before there was DW
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                      There's a broad spectrum of cars....some only run on DW, others get driven year round, racking up many thousands of miles.

I built my DW car in the 90s, long before there was DW
                      I parked mine in the 90's. I'll drive the hell out of it when I finally get off my butt and finish it.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by 1956NY150 View Post
                        RT ?
                        Foot braking
                        very, very fast to very very slow
                        Some Pro Tree, sportsman tree
                        .007 on pro last weekend
                        Much better at arm drop or flashlight
                        That's funny.
                        Last edited by 68scott385; July 30, 2013, 02:58 PM.
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I liked DF's question he posed on facebook today, "what did you drive today?"
                          HOTROD Dragweek Pro Street N/A winner 2007,2011, 2012/ 2nd, 2009
                          HOTROD Dragweek quickest and fastest naturally aspirated car in any class 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012
                          FIRST IN THE EIGHTS Legal Pro Street N/A HOTROD Drag Week 2012

Comment

I liked DF's question he posed on facebook today, "what did you drive today?"
                            Ford Lightning. Sadly stock. You want I should take it? It's only 18.
                            Last edited by Beagle; July 30, 2013, 03:51 PM.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I was thinking the exact same thing.
                              ~Alain~
                              A wise man once said: "There's no replacement for cubic inches"........then they went on and invented Forced Induction
                              "You'll run outta tire, before you run outta horsepower"

Comment

I change my lifters every summer before drag week. But guys who know me see that I run all fall after we get back and I'm usually at the track on opening day in the spring. My car doesn't collect dust.
                                "Friends don't let friends run the daily driver class,"

Comment

Working...
                                X