No announcement yet.

Ready to drop out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drove mine today. It still has more stuff to do before DW. My new mufflers made it where I can hear the blower whine now.
    Go ahead, pull my finger.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
      Mike - I think that could be said for a lot of cars, it doesn't have to be pretty to be fast or reliable!
      no really its ugly,,,,the body was once green then may have been painted cream,the front and rear fenders are off a maroon colored car,or at least that's what the remaining paint looks like,,theres also some random blue on the driver fender. the rest is a shade of rust..

Comment

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
        no really its ugly,,,,the body was once green then may have been painted cream,the front and rear fenders are off a maroon colored car,or at least that's what the remaining paint looks like,,theres also some random blue on the driver fender. the rest is a shade of rust..
        sounds like a Christmas ornament?
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

it runs ,,started it today... its all down hill from here...
          Excellent.

Comment

Way to go Mike.

I think my son is not going to be able to make the trip with me. But Dan said he'd probably be able to go....again....
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Sounds good to me. Just saw the second part of Drag Week show tonight. The old Ford looked good, the HJ will look even better. (old school)
              Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

I'm getting dangerously close to getting the new motor/trans in. got hung up waiting on a flexplate. got the new msd wired up. trying to figure out where i'm putting the O2 sensor for the innovate gauge. had to replace an axle. got lots of little stuff out of the way. i'm trying hard not to be really stressed out amidst the excitement! coming down to the wire just like last year! new motor/trans/converter/n20 setup/ignition/fuel system..... all untested with 5 weeks to go. not what i had planned 6 months ago.
                1980 Turbo T/A - Turbocharged 408ci Pontiac. survived DW 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Comment

I have to do some parts cleaning tonight and get the top end set back up. The plan is to install it tomorrow. My gas tank/flat trunk project just lacks another coat of paint and then I won't have to start it off of my lawnmower gas lol.
                  1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                  1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

RT FOOT brake
                    1st to leave each pass
                    At Joilet
                    Happy, happy,happy
                    Beech Bend this weekend NMCA
                    Last edited by 1956NY150; August 2, 2013, 03:29 PM.

Comment

My turd runs again, at the time the smoke show appears to be gone. I changed to a different valve seal that I believe was the same kind that was on it before I had the heads worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
                        My turd runs again, at the time the smoke show appears to be gone. I changed to a different valve seal that I believe was the same kind that was on it before I had the heads worked on.
                        I changed out the valve seals on my W-5s while I was waiting for the block to
                        be machined... my issue for sure was the rings.. the second ring was loaded up
                        with oil... so I assume the oil control ring wasnt doing squat

Comment

I can't see any particular reason these seals work better than the others.

Style on it when it was smoking

Style that is on it now and what I THINK was on it before.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
                            I can't see any particular reason these seals work better than the others.

Style on it when it was smoking

Style that is on it now and what I THINK was on it before.

NOT trying to start any shit - did you also hone the block and replace the rings OR are you still using your seasoned bore and old rings with JUSt new valve seals?

Comment

Nope, I knew the rings were a possibility but I was confident that wasn't the case. I know a leak down doesn't dictate oil control but it leaked down almost exactly the same numbers as it did before DW last year. IMO the oil control ring would be the least dependant on cylinder wall finish, but I am just a hobbyist not a pro by any means.

I did also have the intake surface of the heads cut as well as the intake just to rule out any sealing issue there but I am confident that wasn't the case.

What really made it look like seals to me was when I tore the heads down there was oil running down the exhaust valves, between oil puddling on the intake valves, evidence of it running down the exhaust valves, and my local machine shop telling me the guides were fine I felt good enough about it being the seals to not re ring it. I was prepared, the engine was on the stand!

Comment

Only 10 days left to get half your money refunded! Aug 15th will either be known as "All in Day", or "The big fall-out of 2013", depending on your perspective!

Comment

Working...
                                X