Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDMBill
    replied
    A lot of guys still. Run Type F. Based fluids. Because the friction modifier package is different than Dextron/Mercon, supposedly. Quicker gripping less slipping, unless you like that granny approved smooth shift for the track. Also relates to which clutch and band materials you are running. I have Kolene Blue in the direct and reds in the others.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    I have not seen Type F on parts store shelves with much regularity in the Detroit area at least.

I wasn't aware of the tractor hydraulic fluid substitution - but it makes sense. I think I'll just stick with the generic dex/merc stuff.

Leave a comment:

• 38P
    replied
    This is a meeting of the Type F Appreciation Society.

I was initially shocked when I read the instructions for my new, American-made C6 converter and they said to prefill it with a quart of Dexron . . . and the pump drive illustration . . . that looks GM to me.

So I checked the part number against the PN on the box (the Converter was obviously a Ford-style piece) . . . and it appeared that they included a Chevy instruction sheet with my Ford-style converter. Nice attention to detail . . . .

Leave a comment:

• BigG
    replied
    I have cheepy dexIII in mine now but the old Malibu did 4 drag weeks and over 1000 passes with Mopar ATF +4 and the tranny was untouched and the fluid spotless.

Leave a comment:

• MR P-BODY
    replied
    I just use the cheapo type F ... thats been in the race car
    for 4 year... I am gonna do a freshen up on it before I sell it
    and that was on a trans brake the whole time... I got the same
    stuff in the Rampage with OD

Leave a comment:

• ProCharged509
    replied
    AMSOIL 10 wt synthetic compressor oil.

Leave a comment:

• CDMBill
    replied
    I had shift timing issues with the John Deere stuff in my AOD even though it was approved by the builder. I swapped to Type F and voila no shift issues. I use the fancy ATI Type F synthetic now but it worked fine with Trick Sift Tpe F and Chevron Type F too. Took five years to wear it out, no failure just worn out.

Leave a comment:

• slimbo5
    replied
    type f amsoil .

Leave a comment:

• JeffMcKC
    replied
    I use Red Line the type F version it dropped the temp on Jakes when he used it I think

Leave a comment:

• 1956NY150
    replied
    Originally posted by quick 52 View Post
    I use tractor supply house brand traveler work fine and is cheap had it in a few cars...
    This is what is used in Jeff Lutz pro Mod along with Red Line trans fluid

Rossler suggests for higher HP
    check web site

Leave a comment:

• Joe Grippo
    replied
    Originally posted by BBR View Post
    Type F.

Use something you can find anywhere.
    ditto

Leave a comment:

• greenXpress
    replied
    I am using John Deere Hy-Guard in my TH400. This is the equivalent of 303 Fluid.
    (had B&M Trick shift when I toasted 3rd) Not blaming that on the fluid but I do know the history of John Deere fluid.

The John Deere Low Viscosity Hy-Guard is a replacement for the old JD Hydro-static Fluid (red) We were told years ago that Type F could be used or added to, in place of the hydro-static fluid. So I am assuming JD low viscosity is compatible with Type F. It is not the same as Hy-Guard (old JD303 oil). I am using the old hy-guard. But not sure you want to do anything I am doing since my transmission has been the weak link with my set-up.

As S tiney said, you can add new (low Viscosity) to old equipment but do not add use the old hy-guard in new stuff.
    John Deere makes no claim as to what to use in Ford C-6 applications. They wouldn't even let us have ford service vehicles.

Sounds like you are getting close.

Leave a comment:

• quick 52
    replied
    I use tractor supply house brand traveler work fine and is cheap had it in a few cars...

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Type F.

Use something you can find anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    The trans guy I work with has always said to use dex/merc in just about everything. Unless it requires one of the newer fluids.
    That goes form gm/ford/mopar - he uses the same stuff in all hotrod stuff regardless of brand.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X