Running out of test time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running out of test time

I just realized today I only have 4 more chances to test the car before Dragweek. So much to do. I still have another carb, converter, and some other goodies to test out. Wife spent my roll bar $ on school supplies. Now with the new DD rules. I need to figure out how to get this thing to run 11.50 before I show up to Dragweek. Getting nervous. Started out trying to pick up 2 tenths, now I am trying to figure out how lose 3 tenths.

Feeling your pain. Was at the track this weekend .. Rear end was howly and trans wasn't shifting happily ..rear end out ordered new gears .. Trans apart needs 3/4 gear shift forks .. Better now than 3 weeks from now

Comment

I'm feeling the same way. just started mine for the first time Friday night. now i'm chasing a couple small leaks and waiting on a mini starter since my s terminal is jammed against the header. I work evenings, so my only chance to test will be 90 miles to Tulsa for midnight drags on a Saturday. I have no idea what its going to act like at the track yet. I've changed motor/trans/converter/tires/shocks...can't get the digital 6al plus to work, still don't have o2 meter wired or plumbed... not sure how the car will react to n2o. i'm feeling the pressure too.
      1980 Turbo T/A - Turbocharged 408ci Pontiac. survived DW 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Comment

Originally posted by BigG View Post
        I just realized today I only have 4 more chances to test the car before Dragweek. So much to do. I still have another carb, converter, and some other goodies to test out. Wife spent my roll bar $ on school supplies. Now with the new DD rules. I need to figure out how to get this thing to run 11.50 before I show up to Dragweek. Getting nervous. Started out trying to pick up 2 tenths, now I am trying to figure out how lose 3 tenths.
        Tractor weights in the trunk will do. Got some if needed. Boat anchor might work.
        Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

I take 3 tenths out of mine by removing timing pulling out 10* will slow it down. its easy on mind with a retard box that is use for nitrous
          Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
          Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

I hear ya ... I'm hoping to get mine out today... no testing yet

Comment

im thrashing so I can get to the hamb drags this weekend, looks like the test drive will be from Tulsa to Joplin.

Comment

I would like to make it to the track on Friday evening but that's not likely since my tach is dead and the new one won't be here until Thursday. Since I thought it was such a cool idea to install it in the dash it will be a PITA to change, especially since I haven't had it out in 10 or 11 years.
                1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Needing to lose 3 tenths just means you don't have to unload you trunk each day!

Eli,
                  Conservative on the N20 buddy, those Pontiacs love the stuff, but have a hard time keeping head gaskets in place while on it!

Comment

Testing is highly overrated! Testing wears shit out, so then it breaks on Drag Week..

Comment

I just need to get some high rpm air fuel readings, no tracks open til october. Tucson is an option but car is not ready to roll yet. Last yr I started the new combo 3 days before we left and had not time on it, thought this year it would be dialed in perfect then I got busy and the local tracks closed the doors. Didnt get anything done that I planned, so engine is the same just changed rockers and fixed some issues. Really shouldnt go but the ball is already rolling see you in BG
                      Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
                      Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
                      Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
                      Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

Originally posted by tsanchez View Post
                        , no tracks open til October.

That's when our tracks start closing
                        Drag Week 2006 11.00 index DNF
                        Drag Week 2011 DD
                        Drag week 2012 Hot Rod Winner
                        Drag week 2013 Hot Rod Winner

Comment

Originally posted by TheEngineWorks.com View Post
                          Testing is highly overrated! Testing wears shit out, so then it breaks on Drag Week..
                          Tried and true. The new car has over 100 passes since May of this year! I kill an alternator every 500 miles. I now know to bring a few spares. Works for me!

Comment

Originally posted by tsanchez View Post
                            I just need to get some high rpm air fuel readings, no tracks open til october. Tucson is an option but car is not ready to roll yet. Last yr I started the new combo 3 days before we left and had not time on it, thought this year it would be dialed in perfect then I got busy and the local tracks closed the doors. Didnt get anything done that I planned, so engine is the same just changed rockers and fixed some issues. Really shouldnt go but the ball is already rolling see you in BG
                            Wasn't your problems on the road last year?

I thought you were making it down the track good. Or was I just suffering from lack of sleep / or old timers memory?
                            Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

Originally posted by greenXpress View Post
                              Wasn't your problems on the road last year?

I thought you were making it down the track good. Or was I just suffering from lack of sleep / or old timers memory?
                              It ran real bad at the track, had spark misfires(dist phasing) and carb problems then as I went down the road I had rear shock problems because of the weight the tires rubbed had to readjust everything. Then it started to have fuel pump problems as well as it just was pig fat at cruise. Backfired and ran terrible the whole way and would only make it 25 miles or so and fuel pressure would drop to 0 and had to pull over. finally made it in to Dallas about 4 in the morning and then it broke a rocker arm, only had one spare and so we called it quits as it had too much to repair.
                              Last edited by tsanchez; August 13, 2013, 12:29 PM.
                              Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
                              Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
                              Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
                              Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

Working...
                              X