Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is going with no real road/track time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I vapor lock in city driving when I'm using the saddle tanks, but only on those 95+ days. I switch to the fuel cell and problem solved. Only problem, 5 gal cell @ 5mpg. Hope there are no long delays.

I should finish these last changes in time to do some road time next week. (or the week after next)
    Track time should happen Sunday in BG.
    Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
      I got 8 passes in the other night and it has about 250 miles on it. Last year it had maybe 1000 miles and lots of passes.

I just changed mufflers and taking the potatoes(flowmasters) out of the tailpipes really threw my air fuel ratio for a loop. Its one whole point more rich at cruise and 1.5 at the limited WOT I was able to due. Now I know why this thing didn't respond to jet or carb changes....it was constipated!
      I was thinking about real sound control devices this year but had no time or money to get it done. I did bite the bullet and got a AFR gauge kit and will install this weekend. Hope to get a little better mileage.
      Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

Mike have you looked into fuel pump drivers that duty cycle the fuel pump? as seen on the latest Roadkill, so it has to work!? also I'm bringing same old Blue LX, 4 quarter mile passes, all sucked. been index racing 1/8 mile and some cruzing. Good to go.
        Tom
        Last edited by TomV8; August 29, 2013, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Went to my local 1/8 track last night with the 94 camaro and went 7.04 at 100 mph and got booted cause forgot my helmet. It isn't caged so will be limited to a 11.50 I believe. It's a 6 speed car so hope it stays together. Oh and I didn't get a spot for DW so I'm just gonna show up and hope I get in.
          78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

Comment

Originally posted by 73fish View Post
            Been driving mine on and off all year between changing and testing. Drove it out to get fuel, it was 98 degs today and the water and oil temperature ran 190 deg. at 70+ MPH. The vapor locking I still need to work on, the fuel gets hot and boils in the tank and then the fuel pressure starts droping. I plan on wrapping the exhaust where it goes by the tank. Any other sugestions??????
            How far away is the tank from the exhaust.. rapping heat blanket around the exhaust
            will help .. but if its close then in traffic you might still see a problem(the rap slows the
            heat transfer.. it doenst eliminate it).. maybe a fan or a deflector to push some air up
            onthe tank/exhaust area will help... I prefer the deflector style since it doesnt draw power
            but you have to be in motion
            EDIT
            If you can get air flow up on the tank it should cool it ... rapping the exhaust will
            help also... when you are idling in traffic you dont get much heat from the exhaust
            so if the under hood temps dont go crazy it should be ok... if the under hood temp
            stays high then a cooler would help
            Last edited by MR P-BODY; August 29, 2013, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Been driving mine on and off all year between changing and testing. Drove it out to get fuel, it was 98 degs today and the water and oil temperature ran 190 deg. at 70+ MPH. The vapor locking I still need to work on, the fuel gets hot and boils in the tank and then the fuel pressure starts droping. I plan on wrapping the exhaust where it goes by the tank. Any other sugestions??????
              Maybe run the return line through a trans cooler or something similar.
              Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
              Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
              Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
              Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

Originally posted by tsanchez View Post
                Maybe run the return line through a trans cooler or something similar.
                I think it was GTA91 that is doing that and having good luck.
                1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

im pretty sure my hood isn't worth the cost of the cheapo hood pin kits...let alone the time its taking to get it on.... im about ready to go topless.

Comment

Going hoodless works for me Mike. I'm not ready myself, but working on it. No track time, and no road miles on this engine. Testing in front of my shop has shown it going lean at WOT. Changing carbs now. I was going to run it in Odessa fri night but not sure it will make it. I need to put a smaller pulley on the water pump because it's turning it too fast to let water cool in the radiator. But it RUNS, so I'll be in BG sunday morning. I need to change my seat belts out too. They expired in june. I already have the new ones.
                    Go ahead, pull my finger.

Comment

I know I know Big surprise I think mine will have its first pass down there might drive it up here on the road if its done in time hope to start it by Monday which is early for me but lots to do to be able to leave town for a week that's not car related
                      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Are you sure it is vapor lock in the tank? I have been driving hot hot rods my whole life and have not heard of that. Most likely fuel pump. Is your tank vent working? If you have electric fuel pump, is it getting hot? Is your power wire to pump big enough? Hook a volt meter strait to pump and watch voltage when hot, check ground too. Even try piggyback extra wires just for a test. Try a return line to keep the fuel moving. I switched to mechanical pump because too many electric pump failures. Lutz runs a mechanical pump too!

Comment

A smaller water pump pulley should make it run faster, you might go smaller on the crank pulley to slow down the waterpump

Comment

Mikes deal is injected. And I'm pretty sure he runs a return style aeromotive setup. If he says the fuel is heating up he's pretty sure of it. All my fuel hoses from the trans forward are run in sleeving with reflective coating. I run a product engineering electric with a -8 bypass and a dead head regulator with a .022 bleed to keep it consistent. Is it all sleeved with heat sleeve?
                            Last edited by slimbo5; August 29, 2013, 09:32 PM.
                            "Friends don't let friends run the daily driver class,"

Comment

I drove mine to get ice cream. does that count. We have no track in Kc and I have not made it out to Heartland.
                              used to be purplecobra, now just myself. I still drive a mustang!!!!!

Comment

Testing at hPT on the 6th Paul.

Comment

Working...
                                X