Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is going with no real road/track time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BigG
    replied
    A smaller water pump pulley should make it run faster, you might go smaller on the crank pulley to slow down the waterpump

Leave a comment:

• BigG
    replied
    Originally posted by 73fish View Post
    Been driving mine on and off all year between changing and testing. Drove it out to get fuel, it was 98 degs today and the water and oil temperature ran 190 deg. at 70+ MPH. The vapor locking I still need to work on, the fuel gets hot and boils in the tank and then the fuel pressure starts droping. I plan on wrapping the exhaust where it goes by the tank. Any other sugestions??????
    Are you sure it is vapor lock in the tank? I have been driving hot hot rods my whole life and have not heard of that. Most likely fuel pump. Is your tank vent working? If you have electric fuel pump, is it getting hot? Is your power wire to pump big enough? Hook a volt meter strait to pump and watch voltage when hot, check ground too. Even try piggyback extra wires just for a test. Try a return line to keep the fuel moving. I switched to mechanical pump because too many electric pump failures. Lutz runs a mechanical pump too!

Leave a comment:

• JeffMcKC
    replied
    I know I know Big surprise I think mine will have its first pass down there might drive it up here on the road if its done in time hope to start it by Monday which is early for me but lots to do to be able to leave town for a week that's not car related

Leave a comment:

• poison gas
    replied
    Going hoodless works for me Mike. I'm not ready myself, but working on it. No track time, and no road miles on this engine. Testing in front of my shop has shown it going lean at WOT. Changing carbs now. I was going to run it in Odessa fri night but not sure it will make it. I need to put a smaller pulley on the water pump because it's turning it too fast to let water cool in the radiator. But it RUNS, so I'll be in BG sunday morning. I need to change my seat belts out too. They expired in june. I already have the new ones.

Leave a comment:

• bulletproof
    replied
    im pretty sure my hood isn't worth the cost of the cheapo hood pin kits...let alone the time its taking to get it on.... im about ready to go topless.

Leave a comment:

• BlueCuda340
    replied
    Originally posted by tsanchez View Post
    Maybe run the return line through a trans cooler or something similar.
    I think it was GTA91 that is doing that and having good luck.

Leave a comment:

• tsanchez
    replied
    Been driving mine on and off all year between changing and testing. Drove it out to get fuel, it was 98 degs today and the water and oil temperature ran 190 deg. at 70+ MPH. The vapor locking I still need to work on, the fuel gets hot and boils in the tank and then the fuel pressure starts droping. I plan on wrapping the exhaust where it goes by the tank. Any other sugestions??????
    Maybe run the return line through a trans cooler or something similar.

Leave a comment:

• MR P-BODY
    replied
    How far away is the tank from the exhaust.. rapping heat blanket around the exhaust
    will help .. but if its close then in traffic you might still see a problem(the rap slows the
    heat transfer.. it doenst eliminate it).. maybe a fan or a deflector to push some air up
    onthe tank/exhaust area will help... I prefer the deflector style since it doesnt draw power
    but you have to be in motion
    EDIT
    If you can get air flow up on the tank it should cool it ... rapping the exhaust will
    help also... when you are idling in traffic you dont get much heat from the exhaust
    so if the under hood temps dont go crazy it should be ok... if the under hood temp
    stays high then a cooler would help
    Last edited by MR P-BODY; August 29, 2013, 06:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BBO Javelin
    replied
    Went to my local 1/8 track last night with the 94 camaro and went 7.04 at 100 mph and got booted cause forgot my helmet. It isn't caged so will be limited to a 11.50 I believe. It's a 6 speed car so hope it stays together. Oh and I didn't get a spot for DW so I'm just gonna show up and hope I get in.

Leave a comment:

• TomV8
    replied
    Mike have you looked into fuel pump drivers that duty cycle the fuel pump? as seen on the latest Roadkill, so it has to work!? also I'm bringing same old Blue LX, 4 quarter mile passes, all sucked. been index racing 1/8 mile and some cruzing. Good to go.
    Tom
    Last edited by TomV8; August 29, 2013, 04:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• greenXpress
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
    I got 8 passes in the other night and it has about 250 miles on it. Last year it had maybe 1000 miles and lots of passes.

I just changed mufflers and taking the potatoes(flowmasters) out of the tailpipes really threw my air fuel ratio for a loop. Its one whole point more rich at cruise and 1.5 at the limited WOT I was able to due. Now I know why this thing didn't respond to jet or carb changes....it was constipated!
    I was thinking about real sound control devices this year but had no time or money to get it done. I did bite the bullet and got a AFR gauge kit and will install this weekend. Hope to get a little better mileage.

Leave a comment:

• greenXpress
    replied
    I vapor lock in city driving when I'm using the saddle tanks, but only on those 95+ days. I switch to the fuel cell and problem solved. Only problem, 5 gal cell @ 5mpg. Hope there are no long delays.

I should finish these last changes in time to do some road time next week. (or the week after next)
    Track time should happen Sunday in BG.

Leave a comment:

• 68scott385
    replied
    Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
    I probably didn't read the bold print, but there is TNT time on sunday with LS Fest going?
    Yes, after LS Fest wraps up.

Leave a comment:

• 73fish
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    I probably didn't read the bold print, but there is TNT time on sunday with LS Fest going?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X