How would YOU change Drag Week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=The Outsider;808192]

I was the first competitor at the track at BG on Friday, had my car sitting in line for hours, and still only got three runs. (That, of course, was my fault, Jim, for taking time out to get my N20 bottle back from Monte before I ran the second pass).

On every other day . . . even the day I swapped trailing arms . . . there was time for a lot more than three runs. While the Quick 32 bracket race was part of the reason why there wasn't enough run time in BG, in my opinion they didn't adjust the schedule enough after the timing light delay.

I watched the replay of Friday- I don't know why you got so few runs in, Slimbo was at the line every time I looked- he must have gotten 6 or more runs in. Maybe he is in the know....
    Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

The only rule I would implement is no crybabies. ......thread done.
      "Friends don't let friends run the daily driver class,"

Comment

I trailered my 8.78 average street car to Bowling Green, didn't complain to much about my 3550lb w/me street car in a class with 7 sec. racecars because it had a strut conversion front clip (what difference does front end type make at 3550 pounds?). I did enjoy driving with the a/c on while even guys in a LOT of 1995 and new cars suffered in heat because they took their factory a/c off! LMAO!!! I showed plenty of appreciation to everyone by doing a killer near half track wheelie. Mike Finnegan drove my junk around 100 miles and said it was the most civilized car he'd been in on Drag Week. The trailer I towed hauled a generator and TIG welder that we didn't use once on our own car, but used twice on one of the cars in our class and once on another competitors car. Everyone I talked to said "was that wheelie scary? did you rip a chunk out of the seat?" No but a 20mph when the road was glazed over, skating around on MT pro's like driving on ice scared the crap out of me.

So in summary: limit the sand bagging Daily Driver entries, keep the waiting list people more informed, register the car and driver combination so if the registered car breaks or doesn't get finished the registered driver doesn't race his 18 sec diesel truck. Keeping trailers is the safest and most street worthy and safe thing going because I will damn well bring REAL street tires to highway drive on next year, besides that when your pile of doodoo breaks I'll weld it back together for you. Nut up and race your car in a heads up class like Greg Hurlbutt and many others did or convince Hot Rod to make all stops on Power Tour at drag strips.
        I'm still trying to figure out how a strut conversion clip with 6"+travel and a Fox mustang rack (that I can buy in either power or manual at a parts store) is an advantage over a shitty designed Mustang II bolt on clip. I would have been competitive in Street Race but not against 2500hp Big blocks in Super Street.

Comment

Oh and while I trailered my car to Bowling Green from Springfield, MO.

I DROVE IT HOME FROM BOWLING GREEN, TOWING THE SAME TRAILER I DID ON DRAG WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I dont see any problem towing the car to the starting track... if the car breaks to
            the point it cant be fixed then you go get the trailer.... it has NOTHING to do with
            the DW itself
            Last edited by MR P-BODY; September 16, 2013, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Our thoughts for consideration, relative to DW 2014 RULES:

1. Expand Hot Rod Class to include 5-6-7 Chevys. (57 and down)
              2. Break DD into normally aspirated and power adder classes. Run quick 16 from each group. (same time duration).
              3. We like the red hat idea, as previously suggested relative to class winners.

Take care, see you all in 2014.
              r, Carl
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 62Duece View Post
                Oh and while I trailered my car to Bowling Green from Springfield, MO.

I DROVE IT HOME FROM BOWLING GREEN, TOWING THE SAME TRAILER I DID ON DRAG WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Very nice car you have there.

I think you have a intercooler tank aft of the firewall, if so, then that is enough to get you booted to the next class up also. Besides your front clip, issue. Nino, ran into that rule last year.

The new rules made it so I had to completely remove the funnycar part of my cage last year, but rules are rules, and I needed to be in that class to have a chance. So I cut it all out, a week before DW 2012.

If I was to add a rule, I would say limit the DD to 100 cars, and let as many people sign up for DD as wanted to, but only the top 100 would be allowed to start DragWeek Monday. Then however many made it to the last day, would run the top 32, just like normal.

This would keep the commuter style "my alternate" vehicle entries to a minimum.

Those that wanted to follow along with "their wife's" car could do that but not at the expense of DragWeek losing a hopped up car to a commuter car, that could help the guys with legit hot rod daily drivers make it into the event. And steer this event away from the "Power Tour with drag racing" event, no one wants.
                Last edited by atomicsix; September 16, 2013, 02:15 PM.

Comment

...A minimum weight with a penalty would make more sense instead of "No Strut conversions"...
                  Visual tech is enough. Scaleing cars would add too much to the burden of the tech directors. Who is going to scale the cars after each pass to make sure that they didn't "forget" their ballast?

Comment

I trailered my 8.78 average street car to Bowling Green, didn't complain to much about my 3550lb w/me street car in a class with 7 sec. racecars because it had a strut conversion front clip (what difference does front end type make at 3550 pounds?). I did enjoy driving with the a/c on while even guys in a LOT of 1995 and new cars suffered in heat because they took their factory a/c off! LMAO!!! I showed plenty of appreciation to everyone by doing a killer near half track wheelie. Mike Finnegan drove my junk around 100 miles and said it was the most civilized car he'd been in on Drag Week. The trailer I towed hauled a generator and TIG welder that we didn't use once on our own car, but used twice on one of the cars in our class and once on another competitors car. Everyone I talked to said "was that wheelie scary? did you rip a chunk out of the seat?" No but a 20mph when the road was glazed over, skating around on MT pro's like driving on ice scared the crap out of me.

So in summary: limit the sand bagging Daily Driver entries, keep the waiting list people more informed, register the car and driver combination so if the registered car breaks or doesn't get finished the registered driver doesn't race his 18 sec diesel truck. Keeping trailers is the safest and most street worthy and safe thing going because I will damn well bring REAL street tires to highway drive on next year, besides that when your pile of doodoo breaks I'll weld it back together for you. Nut up and race your car in a heads up class like Greg Hurlbutt and many others did or convince Hot Rod to make all stops on Power Tour at drag strips.
                    I'm still trying to figure out how a strut conversion clip with 6"+travel and a Fox mustang rack (that I can buy in either power or manual at a parts store) is an advantage over a shitty designed Mustang II bolt on clip. I would have been competitive in Street Race but not against 2500hp Big blocks in Super Street.
                    I love your car- I got more pictures of it than any other car. And the video of your wheel stand- you drive like a pro (maybe you are, IDK).
                    Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Zink View Post
                      Our thoughts for consideration, relative to DW 2014 RULES:

1. Expand Hot Rod Class to include 5-6-7 Chevys. (57 and down)...

Take care, see you all in 2014.
                      r, Carl
                      Sorry, but I don't get that one. A shoebox Chevy already fits into every other class of the event. A pre-48 Hot Rod is a different style that the later street machines don't fit. The Hot Rod class has rules that are obviously designed to work with the early body styles, like removal of fenders, hoods and running boards. It is for traditional Hot Rods.

Comment

I would like to see the DD class renamed to street index or something. And I like the no crybaby rule...I run DD because my car was fast enough to get into the top 32 until the cut off dropped over a full sec!!. Back in 08 I was 3rd in SB/PA but the cars were not in the 8's. I don't care how the cars get to the first track. I would have liked to trailer mine just because I was tired of driving it!!
                        used to be purplecobra, now just myself. I still drive a mustang!!!!!

Comment

I'd like to see maybe a et limit on the slow side (ex. 13.99 the helmet et break) as said before to help keep the entries "race cars" instead of haulers etc..
                          And maybe slicks or drag radials only, or have ALL tracks keep them off the groove.

But I would say that HR is making it better each year for the most part even though its getting pretty big..
                          Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
                          Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
                          Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
                          Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

While I don't like the stock commuter cars and trucks in the DD class they do pay money just like everyone else. The only time I would actually have a real problem with it would be if the event was for sure full and topped out at 250. It would not be fair or in the "spirit of dragweek" to have a bone stock suburban running in one of the classes taking up a spot of an actual performance car or hot rod however you want to word it. If the event is not full there money is just as green as mine is.
                            Last edited by BlueCuda340; September 16, 2013, 03:01 PM.
                            1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                            1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
                              While I don't like the stock commuter cars and trucks in the DD class they do pay money just like everyone else. The only time I would actually have a real problem with it would be if the event was for sure full and topped out at 250. It would not be fair or in the "spirit of dragweek" to have a bone stock suburban running in one of the classes taking up a spot of an actual performance car or hot rod however you want to word it. If the event is not full there money is just as green as mine is.
                              True. I understand it wasn't full as we left.
                              But a friend of mine didn't get signed up in time and was quite a ways down the waiting list. He made the decision not to haul his race car 600+ miles for a chance to get in.. I'm not complaining just stating the facts. Not trying to piss anyone off either. Just my opinion.
                              Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
                              Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
                              Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
                              Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

Originally posted by LAGNAF View Post
                                True. I understand it wasn't full as we left.
                                But a friend of mine didn't get signed up in time and was quite a ways down the waiting list. He made the decision not to haul his race car 600+ miles for a chance to get in.. I'm not complaining just stating the facts. Not trying to piss anyone off either. Just my opinion.
                                This is part of what I was trying to get across. Hot Rod doesn't give enough notice to the people on the waiting list. Guys that break in testing or can't get their car done by the deadline shouldn't enter their tow truck. We were on our backs sunday changing the trans in my car, had it not worked out we would NOT have driven Blake's Tahoe on Drag Week.

I didn't fit into Street Race because of a technicality but I toughed it out Super Street, there are many of the cars in Daily Driver that could have been in a heads up class just not with a competitive time slip.

These are street cars racing at strips, while I appreciate the dedication and the beating the guys in the tube chassis composite body cars are taking. I think all entries should have steel roofs and quarters at a minimum. Anytime competitiveness stretches the rules the cars get out of hand and the unique real street car owners/drivers loose interest and quit coming.

Hell I'm not too interested in bringing my Nova again, I accomplished most of my goals. To bring the quickest REAL STREET car i.e. comfortable, air conditioned, overdrive, EFI, on 275 radials, leaf springs, and 100% all steel. I finished, I'm not changing my front suspension and I'm absolutely NOT installing a forward funny car Cage (well if I do it will get cut out after my slip is turned in on the last day of Drag Week just to make a point. So my car will Not e competitive in Super Street just as Joe Barry's 56 or Fink's Nova won't be competitive in Unlimited. So split unlimited into Pro Mod and ultra street.

Comment

Working...
                                X