Unlimited- changes needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlimited- changes needed?

With 2013 showing that pro mod style cars being able to make the drive, are steel body cars gone now? I am all for run what you brung and hope you brung enough, but with pro mod style cars now competitve, where does that leave the heavier production based cars? And what about other power adders other than turbo's- are they competitive at all?

My $.02-while unlimited is supposed to be just that, I think a minimum weight needs to be imposed based on power adder. That will keep the playing field open to all comer's but keep it relatively even. Say 2600# for nitrous, 3250# for supercharged, and 3400# for turbo's.

What say you? Think a rule or two needs to be added or leave it like it is?
    Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

You mean we need to turn the "Unlimited" class into a "slightly limited" class?

Good luck with that one...
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

If you start limiting Unlimited, you basically cut the balls off the "Fastest Street Car" title.

At first, I though having a "Heavy Metal Unlimited" was a good idea, but I don't think the car counts can really support it.
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

The Drive is the Equalizer
        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Its either unlimited, or its not.
          I'm still learning

Comment

Unlimited means unlimited, just like the rest of our classes it doesnt matter what we think the class should be like as long as it fits the rules.
            Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
            Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
            Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
            Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
              Its either unlimited, or its not.
              Yep

Comment

I prefer the real steel based hot rods, but it is unlimited and if there are drivers willing to drive a promod that far, more power to them.

Can a funny car be used next? LOL.

Just hope the guys like Larson, Berry, Lutz the Nova wagon etc continue to run even if there is little chance to win.

Could split the class. Car counts don't really matter IMO. Not like they need car counts to pay out a purse. Maybe make a 3 pass minimum at each track with the average of those three going towards the weeks average?

Comment

I think unlimited should be just be that. But it should start as a factory car with a factory V.I.N. unlimiled mods to a factory car. I think that would bring the car counts up! 3 cars in that class was nothing great to watch it was over if u blinked

Comment

Originally posted by Orange65 View Post
                    Say 2600# for nitrous, 3250# for supercharged, and 3400# for turbo's.
                    I take this as an admission of the superiority of turbos over other power adders (something that I predicted to much scoffing in the initial on-line discussions before the first DW)

Comment

I have a dream of building a rear engined dragster using some kind of transaxle and entering that in Unlimited.

So far the thinking about the design idea is nearly done.

I brain stormed while mowing the lawn.

There are two catches with my idea.

Transaxles are expensive.

And I'm broke.

But it is fun to dream.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
                        I take this as an admission of the superiority of turbos over other power adders (something that I predicted to much scoffing in the initial on-line discussions before the first DW)
                        Actually, the weights are close to what the X275 class uses on drag radials. That is where I got the weight idea. Pretty much all forms of drag racing that allows different power adders do the same thing.

Nitrous is a form of natural aspiration- pressurizing the intake (via supercharging and turbos) provides more power due to more air and fuel being burned. It (nitrous) is at a great disadvantage. BUT I do like the diversity.

So when does the award for DW quit being the "worlds fastest street car" and become the "worlds most durable race car"?
                        Last edited by Orange65; September 16, 2013, 12:09 PM.
                        Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Nope.
                          used to be purplecobra, now just myself. I still drive a mustang!!!!!

Comment

Nobody has mentioned the impact of safety requirements on an unlimited class DW car.

It seems to me that as ET dip into the sub-6 second range; the cars need to be qualified to go that fast. This will require such substantial safety equipment which will essentially make any car into a ‘Race’ car weather it started life with a VIN or not.

I’m curious how Larson’s Nova compares in weight to the Pro-Mod cars?

Also, if you did require the unlimited class to cars that started life with a VIN number, how much of the original car must remain? This would only be a minor annoyance for the clever car builders looking to win with a pro-mod chassis.
                            Last edited by mike343sharpstick; September 16, 2013, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Larry is around 35-3600 pds.Same as Lutz and Joe.

Comment

Working...
                              X