Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squirrel
    replied
    You're probably better off getting something built to your specs, as trying to find a stock 9" rear that will fit and be strong is pretty much impossible. The centers interchange, there are different spline counts on the axles, and different pinion yokes....you probably want to start out with 31 or 35 splines, and a 1350 yoke. Stock limited slip units are weak, I suggest either a Truetrac or Detroit Locker diff. There are also different carrier bearing sizes, 3.06 is pretty common for 31 spline, 3.25 is the heavy duty setup.

Expect to spend money on it, but if you do it right you'll only spend the money once.

Leave a comment:

• greenXpress
    started a topic 9" - 12 bolt

9" - 12 bolt

Blew apart spiders last night and took out my ring gear too. Now wondering how much more hard earned money I want to keep throwing into this 12 bolt truck rear end. I am currently running Yukon c-clip axles and am looking at a GM locker, but will need to eventually go to c-clip eliminators if I keep trying to go fast pushing 4700 lbs. This means having to buy more axles or cutting these down. Have looked on Craig's list and there seems to be a bunch of 9" units out there, but the only thing I know about a 9" is that it might be 9inches.

I need info on what to look for in Ford 9", yes, I will consider the dark side for this. Questions I need answered are will all the parts interchange on the carriers? Can I put a spool in an open carrier? How tough are the oem limited slip units if I find one? Need to stick to a very tight budget and am counting on selling some of my 12 bolt stuff if I go this route.

Once again, counting on my DW buddies to get me on the straight and narrow ...........now that's really different. Preach away folks.
Working...
X